Sign in to follow this  
Tim Dawson

SQUAD SIZE - NO OTHER REASON

There seems to be a lot of debate on here as regards to injuries and playing players out of position, no cover etc, etc  .  It boils down to one thing squad size, in the prem last season we had the smallest squad which ultimately cost us our prem place , as had we had some decent cover in certain positions the debacle at Craven cottage would have been neither here nor there as we would have been safe by then.

Which brings me to this season, 9 players go and only six come in and once again we have the third smallest squad in the championship, is that really acceptable for a team fresh out of the prem with the ability to attract players to a club with fantastic facilities that we have such a poor squad back up, to me the answer is to bring in four or five players but quality ones and let no-one go ( bar Brennan) , its up to the board to show the same daring attitude when they swooped for Huckerby, Crouch and Harper

Koumas, Danns, Halford and Jerome might indeed stretch resources but the push for the play-offs would be re-inforced and lets face it apart from Reading i wouldnt be afraid of anyone in the top six and if we were promoted it would fund itself, if not then sell Ashton and re-group for next season.

Does this make sense or is it insane rantings !!

Basically, I think that we cannot afford to have players like Ashton. We spent most of this years player budget on him last season then spent the rest of the budget giving him a contract extension. Therefore, we can''t afford to have a proper squad. If we keep him, we will not be able to bring anyone in in january and we will probably not have a squad good enough for promotion. Its a shame but is keeping him worth having a squad that is too small for promotion, especially when he is not used properly anyway.