Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Anyone seen the letter in todays EDP from a former NCFC scout?

Its a good read and I agree with nearly all his points, he slates Worthys attitude to young players and his eagerness to sign second rate Journeymen in place of youth. Its very anti Worthy and im surprised the archant chaps printed it!

He talks about the Jarvis brothers, Darrell Russell, Chris Llewelyn, Darren Kenton etc and slates signings such as Jarrett, Easton, Colin, Thorne etc

Do you no if it going to appear online pinkun chaps?

Hmm, it is always good to have hindsight.  For example, Paul Jewel offered Jarrett a contract for Wigan in the Prem, so clearly is better than he has shown us; Thorne is a proven striker  at this level (try looking at his record), rather than a ''journeyman'', but hasn''t really been given a chance. I could go on. I have to say there are some other names here which are rather strange:

- Llewellyn was given lots of opportunities and failed to take them - not sure where he is now (Wrexham?) but not exactly a leading light wherever it is. 

- Kenton refused to sign a contract and went off to the Premiership - hardly blame Worthy for that, wasn''t even there on the final game of the season/lap of honour

- Jarvis brothers are both current young pros at the club, so what is the point there?

Thing is that everyone can take a pop when things aren''t going well, and there are always stories of ones that got away - not just here but at all clubs.....but none of those mentioned are particularly good examples.  Of recent ones we''ve let go, Crow is the most obvious success that I can think of, though remember he is only playing in League 1. 

Ryan Jarvis has managed the grand total of 3 appearances for the reserves this year.  Not really knocking on the first team door.

Rossi Jarvis is 17 and may be a good prospect and has to be nurtured.  His performance for the youth team the other week was very average and he is up against Jarrett, Robinson, Charlton, Safri, Etuhu, Hughes who between them have about 1,500 games at at least this level.  Granted they may not be performing but they haven''t had a career for no reason.

Danny Crow has done well for the past 3 months after a very slow start. Worthy may be proved wrong - but he had to make a decision given that we had been relegated and were carrying Ashton, Leon, Jarvis, Hendo, Mcveigh and Sven/Thorne.  Perhaps Worthy felt that he couldn''t offer him the development he needed and that it was in all parties interests that he could pursue his career elsewhere.  Or pehaps he should have been left to play in the reserves for 2 years before he turned into Brian McGovern or ended up playing for Kings Lynn.

Drewe Broughton has scored 3 goals in the last 3 games for Rushden.

Llewellyn has reached the heady heights of Hartlepool after leaving Wrexham.

These type of players were not deemed good enough for a team in the top half of the Championship.

Manchester United let David Platt and Peter Beardsley pass through Old Trafford without a whimper.

Can''t we all get over this - decisions have to be made some you get right and some you don''t.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

Hmm, it is always good to have hindsight.  For example, Paul Jewel offered Jarrett a contract for Wigan in the Prem, so clearly is better than he has shown us; Thorne is a proven striker  at this level (try looking at his record), rather than a ''journeyman'', but hasn''t really been given a chance. I could go on. I have to say there are some other names here which are rather strange:

- Llewellyn was given lots of opportunities and failed to take them - not sure where he is now (Wrexham?) but not exactly a leading light wherever it is. 

- Kenton refused to sign a contract and went off to the Premiership - hardly blame Worthy for that, wasn''t even there on the final game of the season/lap of honour

- Jarvis brothers are both current young pros at the club, so what is the point there?

Thing is that everyone can take a pop when things aren''t going well, and there are always stories of ones that got away - not just here but at all clubs.....but none of those mentioned are particularly good examples.  Of recent ones we''ve let go, Crow is the most obvious success that I can think of, though remember he is only playing in League 1. 

[/quote]

Jarrett is probably a decent pro - thats probably why Paul Jewell offered him a contract.  If he really wanted to keep him Im sure he would have - I just dont think Jarrett thought he was going to get first team football at wigan and to be honest thats what he said when out on loan at plymouth about coming back to norwich.  Even at wigan he has 67 starts and 28 subs.  He was actually released by blackpool when worthy was there having played just four times (considering where he is now it seems like this is a regular worthy habit releasing youngsters).

Thorne is 32 and has played for Cardiff, Stoke, Swindon and Wigan during his career, looks like a lower division pro to me - he obviously can do better than he has done but may be past it now? who knows.

- llewellyn wasnt good enough

- Well he was not on good terms with Kenton so it was no great surprise he left. nor will it be if mcveigh leaves.

- it has taken the biggest injury crisis I can remember for young jarvis to get a game out of position

Anyway, these arent my points they are from an article written by a former scout in the edp - they are his views.

Must look at the article but it cerainly feels like worthy makes it hard work for the youngsters to come through.

Having said that, while he has been quite ruthless with them, those he

has let go have not gone on to set the world alight by any means as

branston points out so there''s some vindication there.

He has kept the likes of henderson and lewis and signed up the jarvis

brothers but i would definitely like to see them given a better chance

than they have had so far and with the opportunities that have arisen

in the current injury crisis it baffles me that he doesn''t give the

young''uns more of a chance to take these opportunities.

[quote user="a1canary"]Must look at the article but it cerainly feels like worthy makes it hard work for the youngsters to come through.

Having said that, while he has been quite ruthless with them, those he has let go have not gone on to set the world alight by any means as branston points out so there''s some vindication there.

He has kept the likes of henderson and lewis and signed up the jarvis brothers but i would definitely like to see them given a better chance than they have had so far and with the opportunities that have arisen in the current injury crisis it baffles me that he doesn''t give the young''uns more of a chance to take these opportunities.

[/quote]

I tell you one thing there was more fight and enthusiasm in young Spillane at the weekend than I have seen from certain new signings in 10 matches.  I fear we would have done no worse with him in the side rather than the impact said new signing has had.

It is a real shame we dont have a decent right midfielder in the youth setup, if we did however he would probably be played up front.

Agree with these points; it is a difficult one. I would certainly say play youngsters if you think they are good enough, but this then opens things up to criticism of not buying ''proven'' players to get us out of the division. 

It is a bit of a toughie, and very difficult to get the balance right.  I think I would probably go for playing players in their correct position whenever possible, whatever their age/experience, rather than making-do with players out of position as normally happens - but this is something all clubs do, not just Norwich, and I suppose is down to opinion. 

It is certainly interesting to mention the youngsters that we have kept on, as everyone only concentrates on those that leave.  As A1 mentions, there are several in our squad, though it has to be said they don''t get too many chances.....and I do feel that, when they do get their chance they are often not given long enough - by fans, as much as anything - to find their feet (eg Henderson, who really did cop it) - but then that is the nature of things nowadays in football.

Worthy does make it hard work for youngsters to shine. People like hendo, Ryan J either arent trusted, which leads to new signings who arent that good and get in the way or thwey are played out of position. Llewelyn never went on, but was played out ofposition. Kenton wasnt as good as everyone thought  and he had to go. Danny crow should have stayed though. I feel sorry for rossi, splillane and cave brown.

I think Branston makes a good point here - everyone seems to be clamouring for the youngsters to be given a chance, but when Worthy has given them a chance in the past, well, Henderson in particular, the crowd have slaughtered the player.  I was present at one game last season when every time the ball even went near Henderson he was being barracked from the stands without even touching it.

If you were NCFC manager and had seen that happen to one of your young players, would you risk putting them in more regularly?

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]

I think Branston makes a good point here - everyone seems to be clamouring for the youngsters to be given a chance, but when Worthy has given them a chance in the past, well, Henderson in particular, the crowd have slaughtered the player.  I was present at one game last season when every time the ball even went near Henderson he was being barracked from the stands without even touching it.

If you were NCFC manager and had seen that happen to one of your young players, would you risk putting them in more regularly?

[/quote]

I dont no how many times people have to say it but Hendo is not a right midfielder, he never looks too comfortable there and if worthy is keeping him only for that position we may as well let him go. He just isnt a right midfielder - he tries hard but still just looks like a striker playing out of position.

I doubt the guy would get as much stick from the idiots in the crowd if he was actually up front, but the number of times he plays like a striker when receiving the ball in the wide right position is infuriating, picking up thje ball then turning around with huge amounts of space in front of him and playing the ball back or sideways.  He just is not used to breaking forward and running the flanks.

Personally i dont beleive in barracking players at the games, I unfortunatly have done on occasion in moments of pure frustration (Brennan vs Preston could not do a thing right and desperatly needs to find a new club), cheltenham at home a couple of seasons ago.  I dont care about cup defeats now (they are part and parcel of having worthy as boss)

The barracking of Hendo was unforgiveable and anyone who doesn''t appreciate the effect it has had should read Iwan Roberts'' book.

We just don''t see enough of the youngsters given a decent run. They will not make much impact when first introduced, but they need to be blooded and allowed to gain the necessary experience. In the past we had a good production line, but the chances of a new Dale Gordon, Ruel Fox, Chris Sutton, Darren Eadie or Craig Bellamy coming through at the moment are close to zero.

I say, fewer loanees and fewer stolid signings, give the kids a chance.

[quote user="Paul Rankin"][quote user="Temp the Revelator"]

[/quote]

I dont no how many times people have to say it but Hendo is not a right midfielder, he never looks too comfortable there and if worthy is keeping him only for that position we may as well let him go. He just isnt a right midfielder - he tries hard but still just looks like a striker playing out of position.

I doubt the guy would get as much stick from the idiots in the crowd if he was actually up front, but the number of times he plays like a striker when receiving the ball in the wide right position is infuriating, picking up thje ball then turning around with huge amounts of space in front of him and playing the ball back or sideways.  He just is not used to breaking forward and running the flanks.

Personally i dont beleive in barracking players at the games, I unfortunatly have done on occasion in moments of pure frustration (Brennan vs Preston could not do a thing right and desperatly needs to find a new club), cheltenham at home a couple of seasons ago.  I dont care about cup defeats now (they are part and parcel of having worthy as boss)

[/quote]

Agreed, Henderson is not a right midfielder.  But the game in question he was playing as a striker (can''t remember the opposition) and was relentlessely barracked from the moment he set foot on the pitch.  Not the kind of environment I would be looking to blood young players in, personally.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

The barracking of Hendo was unforgiveable and anyone who doesn''t appreciate the effect it has had should read Iwan Roberts'' book.

We just don''t see enough of the youngsters given a decent run. They will not make much impact when first introduced, but they need to be blooded and allowed to gain the necessary experience. In the past we had a good production line, but the chances of a new Dale Gordon, Ruel Fox, Chris Sutton, Darren Eadie or Craig Bellamy coming through at the moment are close to zero.

I say, fewer loanees and fewer stolid signings, give the kids a chance.

[/quote]

I agree ,   loanees  , more often than not , lack any motivation  ,   it must be very demoralising  for the academy kids  never to get blooded  in the first team !  Nigel  should look  closely at  those players proving ineffective  during matches [ my God there`s scope there ! ]   and give the lads a run out , fortune favours the bold Nigel  , don`t be so bleeding timid !! [6]

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]

[quote user="a1canary"]Must look at the article but it cerainly feels like worthy makes it hard work for the youngsters to come through.

Having said that, while he has been quite ruthless with them, those he has let go have not gone on to set the world alight by any means as branston points out so there''s some vindication there.

He has kept the likes of henderson and lewis and signed up the jarvis brothers but i would definitely like to see them given a better chance than they have had so far and with the opportunities that have arisen in the current injury crisis it baffles me that he doesn''t give the young''uns more of a chance to take these opportunities.

[/quote]

I tell you one thing there was more fight and enthusiasm in young Spillane at the weekend than I have seen from certain new signings in 10 matches.  I fear we would have done no worse with him in the side rather than the impact said new signing has had.

It is a real shame we dont have a decent right midfielder in the youth setup, if we did however he would probably be played up front.

[/quote]

Paul,

On the NCFC V West Ham thread you said you were glad you didn''t go (at 4.30), so how could you judge the ''fight and enthusiasm'' of young Spillane?

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"][quote user="Paul Rankin"][quote user="Temp the Revelator"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed, Henderson is not a right midfielder.  But the game in question he was playing as a striker (can''t remember the opposition) and was relentlessely barracked from the moment he set foot on the pitch.  Not the kind of environment I would be looking to blood young players in, personally.

[/quote]

I agree entirely with your point temp.  I just cannot agree with barracking our players.  I can understand the fans getting frustrated when a player picks the ball up in a wide position with so much space in front of them and just passes it back or sideways.  I mean even Etuhu was guilty of this in the preston match and he got stick for it.  I think Etuhu got more than most being on loan and many fans not realising that in reality he had signed.

In the end the only person to blame is the manager for not having sufficient cover in this area.  the only real right sided midfielder we have could be considered Andy Hughes, whom was signed for a more central position and i doubt is going to set the world alight their.  I guess he may give Colin some much needed backup however.

I fear Andy hughes, in Worthys mind, is our right side with these new central midfield players coming in.

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]

[/quote]sustained barracking is quite rare at city, you here the odd shout, grumble and moan.  when it becomes sustained, its obvious that the crowd isn''t happy with the performance.  hendo reckons his best posi is up front, and typically worthy ends up playing him on the right where he doesn''t feel as comfortable, his performances drop, he loses confidence and so it goes on.  its not rocket science.  I though hendo made a bright start as a city player, but in truth hasn''t progressed and at the moment he only looks a decent league 1 player to me.  that all can''t be down to some barracking though.Surely, if a youngster comes through and plays well in his familiar posi, then the crowd will warm to him.  rossi had a hard city debut at right back, but if worthy plays him there again sat rather than favoured posi, and he has a bad game, then naturally it could affect him.  if colins injured, will worthy risk playing him at right back again?

[quote user="A load of squit"][quote user="Paul Rankin"]

[quote user="a1canary"]Must look at the article but it cerainly feels like worthy makes it hard work for the youngsters to come through. Having said that, while he has been quite ruthless with them, those he has let go have not gone on to set the world alight by any means as branston points out so there''s some vindication there. He has kept the likes of henderson and lewis and signed up the jarvis brothers but i would definitely like to see them given a better chance than they have had so far and with the opportunities that have arisen in the current injury crisis it baffles me that he doesn''t give the young''uns more of a chance to take these opportunities. [/quote]

[/quote]

Paul,

On the NCFC V West Ham thread you said you were glad you didn''t go (at 4.30), so how could you judge the ''fight and enthusiasm'' of young Spillane?

[/quote]

although i did not go 2 of my best friends whom are city fans did. To be honest squit having seen the calibre of players brought in this season I cannot beleive they were scouted beforehand. god only knows whose opinions were listedned to to make these signings.

[quote user="Paul Rankin"][quote user="A load of squit"][quote user="Paul Rankin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Paul,

[/quote] although i did not go 2 of my best friends whom are city fans did. To be honest squit having seen the calibre of players brought in this season I cannot beleive they were scouted beforehand. god only knows whose opinions were listedned to to make these signings.[/quote]

Maybe NW got his two best friends to scout the players.

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]the players we are bringing in - it wouldnt surprise me...[/quote]

Or your two best friends, Paul you''ve been busted, how many other opinions have you given us that you have no personal experience of?

I see the WO''s are sticking together, think about it, his comment is as fraudulent as the much criticised callers to Canary Call who don''t go to the game. If he had the courage to admit his mistake I would applaud him.

I don''t know who Dicky is, if you think I''m him then you don''t listen to the truth and treat it so. 

[quote user="A load of squit"]

I see the WO''s are sticking together, think about it, his comment is as fraudulent as the much criticised callers to Canary Call who don''t go to the game. If he had the courage to admit his mistake I would applaud him.

I don''t know who Dicky is, if you think I''m him then you don''t listen to the truth and treat it so. 

[/quote]

Fraudulent - you my friend, are an idiot!! You are happy to commment on away games that you have not been too, I am happy to use fellow NCFC fans opinions whom do not write to this board.

Anyway i am not a WO, I am a ''if we dont make the play offs or he continues to sign crap'' he should leave.  And in the meantime lets hope he doesnt wreck the squad further by signing more crappers.

Paul,

Yeah, Spillane did look good and for what its worth I think he is at least worth a decent lengthed appearance from the bench to show what he can do. But then again I also thought that the Jarrett/Etuhu combo did reasonably well. Just thought it was funny how enthusiastic you sounded about him. [:D]

Sorry Squit.

But what Paul says is the truth. I''ve known him about 5 years and in all that time he gas been a season ticket holder. I''ve never known him to miss many games and can see his point about not going last week. We''ve even been to pre season friendlies together.

cheers mac thats exactly what i was told - apparantly Etuhu and Jarrett were better (even if we did create nothing against a side whom didnt have to try). As for the enthusiasm - well I cant get too enthusiastic about the signings, or tactics, or anything much at the moment.  But an apparantly assured display from one of our youngsters brings a little bit of joy in a season of crap.

Cheers Meeky , Long time no see - do you still frequent the Eaton?  I hear congratulations are in order?!?!  How worthy has fallen in my opinion - unfortunatly it seems the blinkers have come on him - And I used to think we had a top manager.