Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

points prediction for rest of season.

steve gedge writing in edp today reckons we''ll need 74 points to get into the playoffs, but he reckons we''ll just miss that total.  here''s his  match predicitions. BOLD = home match.plymouth              win                                                         WATFORD        draw reading                defeatIPSWICH           winhull                      winBRIGHTON       homeDERBY              drawc.palace              defeatSTOKE               winleeds                   defeatS.UTD                defeatburnley                winLEICS                 winpreston               defeats.weds                winQPR                   wincardiff                 drawWOLVES           win.here''s mine.

plymouth              draw        played well v. leeds on tv, & only lost 1nil away to wolves in cup. without safs we could lose this one.           

WATFORD        win            although flying high, we need to beat em if we''re going up.        

reading                draw         there''s still time for reading to hit a bad patch starting with us. we could maybe squeak a draw here.

IPSWICH           win             no other result comtemplated.

hull                      draw          would prefer win, but we can''t beat all the clubs below us away.

BRIGHTON       win           hard to see them beating us on our current form.

DERBY              win            need to beat derby and i think we will, now we''re armed with magic huddle.

c.palace              defeat        we usually blow up against the eagles - unless the diver has gone back to the prem by then        

STOKE               win           Deano (if he''s still here) owes their fans big time after losin at their place.

leeds                   defeat        they''re looking the part to me.

S.UTD                win            these are the games we seem to do well with.        

burnley                draw         if adi drys up, they''ll be on a losin streak, and a draw looks likely here.           

LEICS                 win           Beating spurs could ignite their season, but we should do ''em.

preston               draw          despite having a non-existent midfield it still took lilywhites 45 mins to score at c.rd. we could draw there.

s.weds                win            we need a win, but maybe only a draw here.

QPR                   win            rangers may be full strength, but  unlikely  to have anything to play for.

cardiff                 win            ditto

WOLVES          draw.         hopefully we''ll only need a draw to see us in th playoffs at the expense of wolves.I make that 74 points and perhaps just enough for 6th place.  OTBC - its doable.  what do others think? 

LGT I am not going to be so anal as to try to predict all of our results for the rest of the season.  But I do think you and Steve are being a tad over optimistic.  Lost half of games in first half of season,  got no cohesive midfield until February when Saf comes back.  We will be doing well to get to 60 points based on our performances to date.  No play offs 12th position at best.

Time will tell.

Only 2 defeats in 18 matches (after we''ve already lost 12 this season)? I''ll have a pint of what you''re drinking, please, Trainers! For a start, I think we''ll be lucky not to be beaten by Reading / Burnley / Preston away. A draw at Cardiff would be a good result, I can''t wee us winning.

That''s 5 points gone already.

Obviously, things might change if we get some decent players in.  

Heres mine

• Plymouth - draw - Pulis'' side are well organised and it is a long trek for the lads.  We will miss Safri in this game
  • WATFORD - win - They are good away from home, but i feel their form will drop soon.  Will be tight though.
  • Reading - defeat - Sorry, can not see anything else.  Look unbeatable at the moment.  It will end some time, but it wont be us.
  • IPSWICH - win - This is the worse Binman team for years and we will surely capitalise on that.  Think Safri may be back for that one?
  • Hull - win - One of the worst teams we have played so far, and i feel we have the quality to overcome them, even away.
  • BRIGHTON - win - A team playing above their true standing.  They have shocked us before, but i can see us maybe scoring 3 or 4.
  • DERBY - win - I see us going on a run of form here - some games we must win.  Will want retribution after a poor showing at Pride Park.
  • C Palace - draw - we always draw vs Palace, or lose.  I predict a boring draw this time.
  • STOKE - draw - they have the physical presence to cause us problems and i see them getting a point at Carrow.
  • Leeds - defeat - They look great at home and i think outside bets to take over Sheff U for auto promotion.  They will turn us over.
  • SHEFF UTD - win - Feel their bandwagon is falling apart, and we will be gunning for the double over them.  Very over-rated team.
  • Burnley - win - They showed little at Carrow to suggest they will be getting play-off place.  Think we could nick important away win.
  • LEICESTER - draw - Could just frustrate and annoy us at home.  Their signing of Fryatt could make a difference for them.
  • Preston - defeat - Could be a huge blow to our play-off hopes.  I predict preston will make it into the top 6.
  • Sheff Wed - win - I believe we will overturn them, we do have a good record there recently.  And its the day before my bithday!
  • QPR - win - A team who will be confirmed as mid table by then, should not have any problems there.
  • Cardiff - defeat - Could there be a worse place to go at that time of the season?
  • WOLVES - win - we must beat the gold scum on what could be a crunch play-off decider.  We''ve done it before!

That makes 10 wins, 4 draws and 4 defeats, leaving us with 72 points.  I believe this could just be enough to get us in to the playoffs.

Automatic - Reading, Leeds

Playoffs - Sheff Utd, C Palace, Preston, Norwich.

I reckon that 70 points will be enough to get in  the play offs.Bar the top 2, weveryone beats each other in this league and therefore i reckon you will need less points than normal to get in the play offs. What used to happen is that the top 6 or so teams basicaslly had walk overs against half the league, this dont happen anymore. Before, a good side would have always won somewhere like hull, Qpr but now these sought of teams are hard to beat at home. So fear not, and lets wait and see what happens.

I''m in a stupidly optimistic ''so-what-if-we-lose-Ashton-and-Green-damn-the-torpedoes-full-steam-ahead-'' kind of mood, so here''s mine:

Plymouth (a) W 2-0

Watford (h) W 2-1

Reading (a) L 0-1

Ipswich (h) W 3-1

Hull (a) W 3-1

Brighton (h) W 3-0

Derby (h) W 2-1

Palace (a) L 0-2

Stoke (h) W 1-0

Leeds (a) D 0-0

Sheff U (h) W 2-1

Burnley (a) D 1-1

Leicester (h) L 0-1

Preston (a) D 0-0

Sheff W (a) W 1-0

QPR (h) W 3-0

Cardiff (a) D 2-2

Wolves (h) W 2-1

Which gives us a grand total of 75 pts, and would put us safely in there (I reckon 74 is the target we''re looking for: 73 would be enough, but our GD looks knackered to me). It does all show how little margin for error there is, and to have a chance, it''s imperative we secure a minimum of 17 points from the next 21 available - otherwise, the season will probably just tail off. It IS do-able, though, no question about it: all that''s needed is for our whole squad to step up to the plate and show what they''re capable of.

Its okay for a bit of fun but realistically this thread is as pointless as Gedge''s article. Anything could happen between now and the end of the season. What would the predictions for our points total at the moment have been had you been asked to guess in early December? I bet it wouldn''t have borne much relation to what we have got. By the way, I am not dissing the thread, just making the point that (particularly in this league) it is totally unpredictable.

I won''t make points predictions, but sadly I don''t think we''ll gain enough to reach the play offs. I hope and pray that the lads prove me completely wrong, however.

Plymouth (a) We will lost 2-0. Our team is too weak to face a championship side.

Watford (h) W 2-1 or 1-1. A few good players returning

Reading (a) L 0-3

Ipswich (h) W 3-1

Hull (a) W 3-1

Brighton (h) W 3-0

Derby (h) W 2-1

Palace (a) L 0-2

Stoke (h) D 1-1

Leeds (a) D 0-0

Sheff U (h) D 2-2

Burnley (a) D 1-1 or a 2-1 wn

Leicester (h) W 2-1

Preston (a) L 1-0

Sheff W (a) W 1-0

QPR (h) W 1-0

Cardiff (a) D 2-2

Wolves (h) W 2-1

Plymouth (a) Win 2-1. Our youngsters make an impact, getting the result

Watford (h) Win 2-1 - With the youngsters again making apearence and some others back, another result

Reading (a) Loss 1-2 - Respectable loss

Ipswich (h) Win 3-1 - Again we beat the scum, cant loose this one.....!

Hull (a) Win 2-0 - Another decent win and norwich begin to get the ball rolling

Brighton (h) Win 3-0  - a double over brighton, who just are not good enough

Derby (h) Win 2-1 - Norwich continue the roll with another win against derby

Palace (a) Loss 1-1 - Even stevens

Stoke (h) Draw 3 -1 - norwich appear on fire for this game, and the result reflects that

Leeds (a) Win 0-1 - Norwich keep up their unbeaten run

Sheff U (h) Loss 2-3 - Another amazing game against sheffield, this time going in sheffield favour

Burnley (a) Draw 1-1 - Norwich begin to slip

Leicester (h) Draw 2-2 Norwich fight well to get another draw

Preston (a) D 1-1 - and again

Sheff W (a) Win 3-0 Norwich find their rhythem and look to fire themselves back into the top five

QPR (h) W 2-0 - Another good win

Cardiff (a) D 3-3 - another flyer against cardiff, with jerome doing the damage against us with 2 goals

Wolves (h) W 2-1 - last home game of the season, with norwich sitting in 4th, they go into the play-offs looking comftable contenders for premierleague football next season

..... now back to reality

loss

loss

draw

loss

loss

win

loss

loss

loss.......

The key with all of these optimistic posts it seems is that we appear to HAVE to win 5 0r 6 out of the next 7 games (we all expect to lose at Reading).

If not it''ll be time off in March & April!