Sign in to follow this  
Misery Guts

paul hayes : an example of worthers attitude to young players

If any player can expose Worther''s lack of faith in young talent , it''s Paul Hayes, dropped from the club because Worthers said he didn''t like to "muck in" with doing the dirty things he was shipped off to Scunthorpe , where he scored 19 goals in leauge two (including one in the fa cup against Chelsea) , after his performances ensured promotion for Scunthorpe, a host of leauge one teams were desperate for his signature, until Barnsley managed to get him, he has now scored 10 goals this season and Barnsley are 6th .

At only 21 , I dare say Hayes''s best years are ahead of him and I imagine that if his current form continues he won''t be playing in Leauge One for much longer, the joke is he could end up becoming a Worthers target .

OOO I bet Worthy really regrets letting him go now after a whole host of League One clubs were interested until the mighty Barnsley signed him up.  What you fail to mention is that he has a strike rate of 1 in 3 in the lower leagues.  Whereas Thorne, Ashton and McKenzie all have a better strike rate at a higher level.

Can we just get over this?  Clubs and managers let young players go all the time.  Arsenal told Andy Cole he was not good enough.  Man Utd let the likes of Savage and Beardsley to leave and the list goes on and on.

Who wouldn''t turn away the likes of Savage! But seriously you are right. It''s funny how some people always believe the grass is greener on the other side when things aren''t rolling your way. Who knows what Hayes could have done at Norwich if he had stayed ... he didn''t. If he had perhaps he would be Coote-ing around and getting a barrage of abuse from people because he couldn''t score enough goals at this level and why oh why couldn''t Worthy get in someone proven like Ashton etc.

Well done to the lad but he is not here any more and therefore we cannot blame Worthy for a golden saviour that never was. We should be thrilled to bits with the striking talent that we have here ... no club outside the Premiership wouldn''t swap 3 of their attackers for Ash, Hucks and McKenzie.

Never mind the Danger 

Sir :

first and foremost , Paul Hayes does not have a better record than Ashton or Mckenzie etc because he has never been given an oppurtunity to play at the top level

second , I did not say that he was a better player than Dean Ashton or Leon Mckenzie but used his name as an example of young players Worthington has shipped off without giving a chance to.

thirdly, a strike rate of 1 in 3 is as good a return as what most of our strikers have acheived since Worthington has been in charge excluding Dean Ashton of course

fourthly , may I make the point that the cream of leauge one are players we currently targeting anyway with regards to Lee Trundle etc

"fourthly , may I make the point that the cream of leauge one are players we currently targeting anyway with regards to Lee Trundle etc "

well i will beleive it when i see the Halford bid.....  Cream of league 1...  lol  dregs of the championship more like......

Hayes burnt his bridges here and was swiftly shown the door, I though that was well known. Again he''s nothing special and we eventually got a bit of money for him