Sign in to follow this  
emnolan

preston or burnley?...help a new fan!

my best friend decided she was missing out by not supporting a football team...after much deliberation, she chose NCFC.

As a surprise, I want to take her to a game. The only ones fairly locally, that fit around my Bolton games are Burnley away and Preston away.

Which is likely to be the best one to go to? Best atmosphere, able to get a ticket for etc. Oh, and when are they likely to go on sale?

Can you help 2 damsels in distress???  Cheers Huh? [:^)]

Hi. Welcome to the board. A fine choice of team your friend has chosen to support!! :-)

Norwich are more likely to get a positive result against Burnley than Preston and seeing your team win (fingers crossed) is always good!. The travelling fans always do a good job at making an atmosphere so I shouldn''t imagine there would be much in it on that front. If you go to the official Norwich City website and look under ticket information, they tell you when tickets for away matches are on sale and prices etc!!

Hope this helps.

she chose you cos her fav colour is green, it was between you and yeovil; something about scat the cat swung it!!!! 

And i''ve always had a soft spot for you ..... will you be going? we''ll have to meet some real NCFC fans for a beer before the game!!!!  Party!!! [<:o)]

thanks for your help!!!!! Will you be going to these games? would be great to meet up with some NCFC supporters for a pre match beer!!!!

I''ll keep my eyes open for those ticket details........Smile [:)]

Watch the weather if you chose burnley. I went there about 4 years ago and it got called off for a waterlogged pitch just as we passed the sign saying "welcome to burnley". When it rains there, it never stops.

now that would be telling!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for all your help. you''re much friendlier than the people on the bolton forum!!!

[:D]

Not sure if I''m going to that one. Usually really skint by the end of March, but Canary travelling support is usually a great atmosphere. Reckon she (and you) will have a good laugh (and hopefully not just at our team [:D]). 

ah bless you, i might even take her to both seeing as i haven''t got a game either day, i much prefer saturday football.....

Ill pop on nearer the time to find out if anyone''s  going and to hopefully meet up for a pint. you''ll be able to spot us, 2 brown haired girls, one in the green norwich shirt and one in a bolton shirt-maybe not the best idea! I''1l have to ask one of you to bring me up a spare shirt!!

Good luck with the season, and i''ll be back soon :)

For that genuine lower-league feel I''d choose Burnley, and there''s more chance of us beating them than Preston. My best away game is Burnley but that might have more to do with the 5-3 scoreline than the ground...

Hi em nolan

Welcoming another female onto the board, yes!!

Without risking insulting you and your best friend as to why she chose Norwich, the two games you have chosen are both potentially good choices.

Burnley - good atmosphere at ground, parking at club at back of cricket ground (which is behind the stands), go in the social club there  where there is food (v cheap compared to Norwich prices), TV etc.  Last visit made v welcome by Burnley fans.  Ground not as slick as Carrow Road, but okay.  Good view from away end.  Likely to be good game as they are doing okay in the league.  Maybe Akinbiyi will score this time? 

Preston - probably my fave away trip at the moment in this league.  Great ground, friendly fans, parking opposite the ground in nearby park.  To top all that up the road are two fan friendly pubs, both catering for both sets of fans, and as at Burnley v friendly and chatty. Good away view too.  

But what seperates Preston from the rest is the chance to visit the Football Museum which is beside the ground.  Give yourself a good couple of hours in there, it''s well worth the entry fee.  A good shop too with souvenirs of all football clubs.  Also at ground is a good cafe which serves the only acceptable coffee I have ever had at a football ground (sorry a bit of a coffee snob!), plus all sorts of food.  Excellent, and a facility we should have at FCR.  (Delia please note).  Preston the  last two times I have been have sold tickets on the day.  But in both instances you need to ring the box office to check or check the official site. 

Anyway Em, enjoy your day out and the game.  Come back on here and let us know which match you chose.  OTBC

Will be at both games, but based on past experience of both grounds, the atmosphere is better at Burnley than at preston - partly because its an older stand and we''re closer to the home support (who are great in the banter stakes) and we''re more likely to win.

That said all that Gazza says about Preston is right, but it''s one of the tallest stands i''ve sat at the back of which makes for disappointing acoustics and occasional vertigo, but it is generally more comfortable (old wooden seats at Burnley - posh plastic ones at Preston) so it depends what aspect of football you want to sell her.

[quote user="shropshire canary"]

Will be at both games, but based on past experience of both grounds, the atmosphere is better at Burnley than at preston - partly because its an older stand and we''re closer to the home support (who are great in the banter stakes) and we''re more likely to win.

That said all that Gazza says about Preston is right, but it''s one of the tallest stands i''ve sat at the back of which makes for disappointing acoustics and occasional vertigo, but it is generally more comfortable (old wooden seats at Burnley - posh plastic ones at Preston) so it depends what aspect of football you want to sell her.

[/quote]

Shropshire, if you think you get vertigo at Preston, what would you make of Bramall Lane, or indeed did you go to St James Park?  Scary indeed!

Broken Heart [U]     cheeky monkey..... We''re definately damsels! And you''ve sold me... I''m definatley gonna take her to burnley. and its only 20mins up the road too!!! Does anyone know if its near the train station? Can have a few beers and enjoy the day better if we don''t drive!!!!!Beer [B]

.......just hope we can get tickets now!!!! do they usually sell out???????

[quote user="gazzathegreat"][quote user="shropshire canary"]

[/quote]

Shropshire, if you think you get vertigo at Preston, what would you make of Bramall Lane, or indeed did you go to St James Park?  Scary indeed!

[/quote]

Quite agree about both of those Gazza - especially St James as you''re on the corner which adds an even worse perspective to it all!

i needed oxygen after running up those stairs at st James'' park!!!!!! the view was awful, i couldn''t see big kev''s legs....i was mortified!!!!!!  :(

[quote user="emnolan"]

.......just hope we can get tickets now!!!! do they usually sell out???????

[/quote]

You should be ok to get tickets because burnley is a long way from naarich, but then everywhere is. Also are you sure we cant convert you into a norwich fan. The food is great thanks to saint delia and the football is more attractive than boltons hoofing game! Also, Its Splat the Cat not whatever you said in an earlier post

Hope you have a good day at burnley.

cheers....I might consider being converted if you ever signed our big Kev. I loved bolton before but now i LOVE bolton!!!! i''ve always liked norwich though!!!!! Tip for you....don''t have a pie at the reebok (next season when you''re promoted), they''re horrible...any chance we can have delia on loan til the end of the season?????????

[quote user="emnolan"] Tip for you....don''t have a pie at the reebok (next season when you''re promoted), they''re horrible...any chance we can have delia on loan til the end of the season?????????[/quote]you can have worthy on loan, and anyway, wuss nice girls like u doing eating  pies anyway?

i get too many rude comments if i get a hot dog!!!!!!!

A girls gotta eat something to soak up all the beer!!!!!

Svensson,

Burnley fan at work agrees with me - the away end is falling to bits, wooden seats and bar area that resembles a multi-storey car park.