Sign in to follow this  
Ken Aries

Why no transfer activity??

I''m amazed we''ve brought nobody in, up to now, other than Robinson and Etuhu. I should have thought we could do with at least a couple more bodies, particularly with this appalling injury crisis. Is Worthy even looking? Does he know where to look? What about a couple of players on loan? Is anybody else surprised at the total lack of activity on the transfer front? I mean, can we manage to field 11 able-bodied players plus the full complement of substitutes on Saturday?

If we are skint the whole Board should be sacked for mismanagement of funds , the relegated sides are usually the ones with the supposed spending power to go straight back up and we have spent peanuts. Worthington has without doubt wasted quite a bit on the rubbish he has signed this season , maybe the Board have just decided enough is enough , why should they keep spending money to replace the sub standard players he brings in time after time.

as ive previously said, i think that the summer will see many, many changes. players and or managers will be going in / out at quite a rate me thinks.

!!! The money that City have is tied up in wages and previous purchases of the likes of Green, Ashton, Huckerby, McKenzie etc. Yes we were promoted recently but that doesn''t keep you forever rich. The board pushed themselves to the limit to bring in the players that they did and should be solely praised for their determination to keep the football club financially secure. Or maybe you are  right ... sack the board, mess up the finances, become another Ipswich (or hopefully Leeds) and then you will really have something to whinge about ... perfect for you. 

The money is tied up in wages , we have about 3 high earners at this club not 23 , getting to the Premiership is worth millions to most clubs Norwich seem to have come back down poorer than when they went up . Where is the so called ambition to go up again , you wont achieve promotion signing the dross we are this season . Cardiff were borrowing money to pay wages last season yet even they have signed a better standard of player than City this season. My opinion is we do HAVE money, we are just to TIGHT to spend it , prudence with prudence then a little more prudence.

I do agree with you Konstantin, but find it rather galling that Leeds have been incredibly busy in the transfer market in the last 12 months or so, and look a pretty good bet to go up this year too.

Given that next year is OUR final parachute payment season (like this is for them) will we be that ambitious, or remain prudent?

Whether you like it or not the current board and boss will never risk or gamble. They will forever attempt to give Worthy as much spending and wages money as they can possibly do but never put the future financial options and security in danger at any cost. Some people should remember the type of player we could afford and attract pre-Worthy and early-Worthy. We are not a rich club and I am sorry Premier but you don''t see Saints and Palace pulling in multimillion pound superstars and Wolves, Leicester and Coventry didn''t do either when they fell from grace. We have to sell big to buy big.

Given that:

(1) we are unlikely to be promoted, even if we get to the play off they are a bit of a lottery; and

(2) there must be much disillusionment at the ins and outs since May last year; and

(3) we are very unlikely to be relegated

would you, if you were a Board member commit more funds to a manager in whom you must surely be asking yourselvf whether he is still the right man for the job, despite your public pronouncements.

If I was a Board member I might sanction some loanees but I would say, use the kids to supplement what you have now to stabilise for the summer.

Good point Konstantin.  Saints lost big wages from their bill when player like Redknapp, Bernarnd and Le Saux when they left or retired.  They have also sold Crouch, Phillips and Niemi for close to £10m.  So they have slashed their wage massively(which dropped anyway due to a league related wage packages) and generated £10m from transfer fees.  Saints have spent the massive sum of................................................................ £50k on Ricardo Fuller.

Whos talking multi millions , we should easily be able to afford one or two players around the £1million pound mark , we bid around £2million for Morrison but now that moneys vanished or been wasted on loans and bad buys by Worthington , we need a new manager who knows a half decent player when ones available , Halford , Riorden , Koumas to name but 3. Ashton , i feel sorry for him , he must be wondering why on earth he signed for us we are no better than Crewe .As for the type of player pre Worthy , well i remember 2 Fa Cup semi finals , high place finishes in the top flight , European football all a far bigger achievement than a play off final one promotion and one embarrassing season in the top flight.

[quote user="Konstantin Pobedonostsev"]Whether you like it or not the current board and boss will never risk or gamble. They will forever attempt to give Worthy as much spending and wages money as they can possibly do but never put the future financial options and security in danger at any cost. Some people should remember the type of player we could afford and attract pre-Worthy and early-Worthy. We are not a rich club and I am sorry Premier but you don''t see Saints and Palace pulling in multimillion pound superstars and Wolves, Leicester and Coventry didn''t do either when they fell from grace. We have to sell big to buy big.[/quote]

Saints Coventry and Leistester fell out of the prem to financial troubles or in saints case having to get rid of most of the squad.  We have fallen in the same way West Brom did - under an even financial keel, palace dont seem to be doing too badley neither.

To be honest I dont see that recent signings are any better than any of those attracted pre-Worthy or early-Worthy. they just cost more money in transfer fees and wages for the same quality of player.

To those who have said that the board are holding back on releasing funds, because they no longer trust Worthy to spend wisely. Its an interesting theory, and I do hope you''re right. If so, we may see a new manager at the end of the season. I live in hope.

[quote user="ROSSI 46"]as ive previously said, i think that the summer will see many, many changes. players and or managers will be going in / out at quite a rate me thinks.[/quote]

hope youre right Rossi46, not being a WO just would like to see a few changes, not deano though!!!!

[quote user="Saint Canary"]Good point Konstantin.  Saints lost big wages from their bill when player like Redknapp, Bernarnd and Le Saux when they left or retired.  They have also sold Crouch, Phillips and Niemi for close to £10m.  So they have slashed their wage massively(which dropped anyway due to a league related wage packages) and generated £10m from transfer fees.  Saints have spent the massive sum of................................................................ £50k on Ricardo Fuller.[/quote]yes, but saints also have youngsters coming through the ranks like Theo Walcott, and when managers take a risk on young talent and it pays off, then they dont need to sign duffers and journeymen.and also, you tell of how saints lost all their players, sold their best ones and only spent 50k....but have you noticed, THEYRE ONLY 3 PLACES LOWER THAN US IN THE LEAGUE?! and they have a game in handso working on the basis that we''ve spent an estimated 2mill on loans and transfers since relegation and only lost a few players, and they''ve lost and sold loads of players, and spent just 50k, we''ve spent 1 949 999 on 4points! and we''ve played a game more!well done worthy, another resounding success story...