Sign in to follow this  
Ankles50

Thread for Oversea Exiles

As a City fan & season ticket holder working abroad (yeah i know pay to keep my seat that i won''t use for a couple of seasons) it''s difficult to be a Norwich fan abroad most exposure the local press web pages available over internet, commentry on canaries world, occasional streamed action & the briefest of brief highlights on ESPN on CCC.  (I can see why the locals in Bangkok support certain teams, they''re the only ones you get any exposure on global network). I have couple of questions for you guys & girls anyway

1.  How do you manage being City fan abroad (i''m currently looking forward to my next trip back to UK & hallowed ground that is Carrow Road) with the relentless exposure to "bigger teams" & peer pressure from the uninformed of you country of residence who only vaguely now Norwich

2. Given we are out of direct contact on match days & so the related emotions attached can you give a subjective brief review of the season so far through eyes of Ex Pat

Also, in answer to a1canary question on another post what am i doing in Bangkok......having a great time, if you''ve never been get your arse on a plane

I finally gave up trying to listen to the matches on the radio via messenger, and invested in canaries world...£35 a year to listen to radio norfolk once a week seems a bit excessive, but what can you do. I think it may be easier to be optimistic being further away from things, and have a slightly longer term view on the future of the club. Most people I knew back in Norwich were very disgruntled until recently, but I always had hope we would put a good run together (although i''m still waiting for when we hammer someone 5-0).

I saw the Burnley and Preston games when I was back in the UK for Christmas. Thought we had a few very nice moves against Burnley, Huckerby had some great runs and it was always exciting whne he got the ball, and Doherty won everything and was organising the rest of the defence. Preston was a disappointment though..players only moved when the crowd shouted at them.

Oh and the Fulham match last year was horrific. After asking everyone I knew out to watch the game it was pretty humilating seeing us getting slaughtered. A Man City fan was there and wore one of my Norwich scarfs in support. I still remember when the 5th one went in him subtely taking it off. [:(]

One Flew Over....

the atmostphere at fulham was electric, from about mid day fulham was awash with yella n green, Fulham high street was full with about 40 club cabbage coaches, the noise was mental,

even once the final whistle went you''d have thought that City would have been promoted not relegated,  all the plays had tears and as for Roger Mumby singing ''On the ball City'' with tears down his face was a special moment for me. city fans really did English football proud that day,

personally i think all the media Hype had an adverse affect on us, apparently it was rumored that some 12,000 applications for the 5,000 or so tickets.

whats it like supporting city from a far? 

my brother went to the fulham game, and said the norwich fans were amazing. even starting to cheer the fulham goals as they went in! i was watching it in an almost empty english pub in paris, with a man u fan constantly trying to get the bar staff to switch it to the man u sthmptn game. i was not impressed..

there''s not much to do supporting city from afar..the internet radio on saturdays, the canaries world highlights, and messageboards is about as much as you can have access to. it is also hard to have an informed opinion on the players / worthy in/out debates as you only really have second hand opinions. at least last year there was the occasional match on sky that you could watch.

Hi

I like you are a season ticket holder and living abroad. I was up until September living in Helsinki which meant I managed to get to quite many home games every season. For the games I missed then I listenned to canaries world and with the hi tech broad band service in Finland the connection was pretty good, I could also listen to radio norfolk to hear the sports news so it was quite ok. However now I am in Melbourne, Australia and here it is much more difficult, the games kick off at 2am and I get in too much trouble if I start listenning in the middle of the night, I follow the match highlights on canaries world and read the news on this site every day. I got to see the Burnley game at xmas and it was great to see them win again.... my next game back at Carrow Rd will be Sheff Utd - should be a big one....