Sign in to follow this  
Canuck Canary

THEO WALCOTT

Is he worth the 15mil Arsenal are reported to be paying for him (bbc web)?

anyone seen Walcott in action?

I have read a few articles on the kid but being exiled in Canada I have never seen him play football

He is an exciting prospect but he is far from being worth even close to £15m.  He is quick, skillful and can finish but so far he is not even proven to be consistent at Championship level let alone higher.  I can''t believe anyone would consider shelling out this kind of money for just "potential".

he was on a tele match a few weeks ago - scored an amazing volley.  he looks lightning quick, sharp as anything.  He looks some prospect - 10 million though....  I dunno, thats a hell of a lot of cash for a 16 year old.

I think he has scored 5 goals in 12 starts and about 10 substitute appearances this season after a slow start. Not bad at all.

I wouldn''t read to much into the 15m price tag that probably includes every add on possible which includes him Captaining England in a World cup final to helping them lift the Champions league trophy. Also some dead weight arsenal players moving in the opposite direction.

I would be supprised if the initial outlay was more than £6m.

Didn''t he get taken off early in the second half aggainst City as he was very ineffective????

I can''t believe that Arsenal would spend that much..they normally seem to shy away from huge transfer deals like this. How can an untested 16 year old rate at double Ashton''s evaluation? Maybe if had been banging them in in the Premiership, but he has scored only 5 in the championship this season.

If the sale does go through, we can probably assign one of the play off places to Southampton, as they will have 15 million to buy a new squad. We will also lose out on any players they might go for as well as us.

i''m not sure about all this rubbish - i''m sure there''s something about fees for players of 16 or something. the deal would probably be about £2m will hell loads of add ons should the kids make it.

quite right rossi, wouldn''t his fee be decided by tribunal with him

being under 24? No tribunal is going to come up with that kind of

valuation. although the fact he is 16 and is already v good probably

adds as much to his value as it takes away. Think how many years he has

ahead of him!  These days kids are coming through much sooner

which allows them to have a much longer career than players have

previously had. Look at owen, he was one of the first super kids and

how old is he now? Still only 25 or something. Poor old Leon will be 30

in a couple of years and he doesn''t seem to have been around for 5

minutes! Not very fair to compare him to owen though i guess!

[quote user="a1canary"]quite right rossi, wouldn''t his fee be decided by tribunal with him being under 24? No tribunal is going to come up with that kind of valuation. although the fact he is 16 and is already v good probably adds as much to his value as it takes away. Think how many years he has ahead of him!  These days kids are coming through much sooner which allows them to have a much longer career than players have previously had. Look at owen, he was one of the first super kids and how old is he now? Still only 25 or something. Poor old Leon will be 30 in a couple of years and he doesn''t seem to have been around for 5 minutes! Not very fair to compare him to owen though i guess!
[/quote]

lots of kids are being given a chance much earlier and it benefits them.  There is no better way to improve than to play in real matches.  even Theo walcott took about 8 or 9 appearances until he got his first, now he has 5 from 12 starts (and lots of subs) not bad for a 16 year old.

Didnt Rooney cost 30 million when he was 18??  I think the tribuneral fee is when your contract is up.  To think he is on 100 quid a week at the moment!!!  He is going to be a millionaire before the year is out no doubt!!

If that price tag is accurate I think it shows us more how desperate Arsenal are at the moment (injury prone Henry, no Viera, overly reliant on a youthful midfield) than how good the kid is. I have been impressed by his speed but not sure how good he is otherwise. Can you really tell yet? Hopefully Wenger won''t squash him as he did Pennant.

A1 Until a player is 17 and under a full time professional contract a player can move between clubs but compensation is due.  It only goes to tribunal if said compensation cannot be agreed.  Compensation is apparently different to a transfer fee (hmmm). To be honest a tribunal agreement may come that close because they would impose all kinds if and buts.  Up front fee might just be say £2-£5m but then with other stipulations like:
£1m when he has played x games
£1m when he has scored x goals
£1m if he plays x% of games in a trophy winning season
£1m if he plays for England

And so on and so forth...

The ruling for players between 17-24 only applies to players out of contract but again the current club despite having no contract with the player have the right to a fee.  This is to stop the bigger clubs exploiting the bosman ruling even further by letting smaller clubs do the hard of producing youngsters and then coming along and signing them for nothing.

£10m is a large wedge of cash. he''s got the pace and can do most defenders with balls played over the top for him to run onto, but IMO his finishing  is still suspect yet. its a good move for him and wenger obviously believes he can improve the boy into a top class player worth £20m.

I guess its all driven by fear in a way...you''re Arsenal you baulk at the idea of spending 10 million now, 3 years down the line he turns out to be the best striker in the world and Chelsea roll up with 40 million quid, and you carry on winning nothing....even without spending money Chelsea''s bank account causes their rival to take risks they wouldnt have done a few years ago, as they just cant compete when top established players become available.

i remember Arsenal paying millions for "onderkid" Jermaine pennant from notts county.. similar to Walcott he was seen as being a huge star and someone who had the footballing world at his feet....

A stint in her Majestys pleasure and a ball and chain have been the only thing he has had round his feet.. he made no impact whatsoever at Arsenal and isnt a star at Birmingham..... i have a feeling Walcott will go the same way

jas :)

He''ll follow in Rooney''s footsteps, under Wengers wing he cant fail to become a great player for arsenal and England, great for the nation!