Sign in to follow this  
The Duke of Norfolk

Question. Now forget if you are currently pro NW or anti NW.......

if we fail to reach the play off''s this season should Nigel Worthington be replaced during the summer?

Also if we do fail to make the play off''s, what are the chances that the board would replace NW?

My answer to these two questions is this.

I am prepared to give NW time to see whether he can take this club to the play off''s but if he fails to do so then i feel he should be replaced as he has failed. We then realistically only have one season left where we would stand a better chance than most in this league of gaining promotion, because if we fail next season as well then we will lose our best players, we won''t be able to afford to buy or pay quality players and we will have to resort to scrapeing around trying to bring in bosmans and hoping to get lucky on a player we sign for a couple of hundred thousand, just like everyone else in this league like Stoke and Burnley for example.

Do i think the board would replace NW? No, i don''t think they would such is the pally nature of things at the club. This would be disatrous for the long term future of the club and it would cause alot of resentment and ill feeling towards the board from the supporters.

The thing that gets to me most though is, an OK job that NW may do sometimes with our squad i always have this feeling that another manager to do better. Seeing how well Luton play under Mike Newell makes me think what could he do for us?

Do you feel the same and what are your thoughts on the two questions posed above?

Anything outside the play offs is disaster, especially given the charlton model we are supposedly following. It will, for me, depend on how far outside the play offs we finish, but i think that if Ian Crook was interested he will be the next man. The board may appear to fans to be slow to react, but they remember well after many fans have forgotten or forgiven.

ROSSI I cannot understand why you be content to see Ian Crook as manager of Norwich City in the summer!

Without need of mention, Crook will always be remembered as a legend but that does not qualify him for the position even with the managerial experience he wields. What about John Polston or Vicor Segura ... do you think they would do a better job than Worthington?

I dread the day that some fan''s predictions come true and we end up romantising about the Worthington era and stunned that so many had so much to grumble about when the team were, in context, doing so well. We are a big Championship club with some superb players and a proven manager. It is not because of Worthington that Norwich City aren''t top of the table.

I think Ian Crook would be a fantastic replacement he is at least someone with his heart in the club....

Paul

Don''t want to be picky as I am a confirmed WO at the moment, but we did also lose Edworthy, Svensson, Bentley and Jonsson for a variety of reasons. However we had a right to expect that their replacements would be of at least the same standard.

As a WO I am requested not to put my view here on what should happen to NW, but my view is now not dependent on the position we finish.

if we fail to reach the play off''s this season should Nigel Worthington be replaced during the summer?

Worthington and Foley have set their standard for the season.  Worthington said there could be no excuse for us not being promoted and Foley asked that they be judged at the end of season. 

So if promotion is not acheived then they should be judged and both go.

Big_T it doesn''t make sense. Delia has her heart in the club but you wouldn''t want her as manager would you? Worthington has got heart. This is his team, his creation. Havent you heard Worthington in interviews, he is a man passionate about his football and passionate about Norwich City. You can''t honestly believe a man with no managerial experience at this level should replace a manager who has brought the club a play off final at Cardiff, Ashton, McKenzie, Crouch, Huckerby, promotion to the Premier League and one point from survival? I am willing to dispute whether Worthy should be sacked in the summer if play offs is not reached but to argue about replacing him with Crook is quite simply MAD.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

Paul

Don''t want to be picky as I am a confirmed WO at the moment, but we did also lose Edworthy, Svensson, Bentley and Jonsson for a variety of reasons. However we had a right to expect that their replacements would be of at least the same standard.

As a WO I am requested not to put my view here on what should happen to NW, but my view is now not dependent on the position we finish.

[/quote]

I said: "Considering we have had the chance to keep, and add to the promotion winning team and have only had to offload Helveg and Francis, anything below the play offs is a disaster. "

In other words the only players who WANTED to leave since promotion and thus we had no chance in keeping were Helveg and Francis, and i guess Bentley as he was a loan.  All other players out since the Crewe match (final game of the promotion season) have been the managers choice.

Konstantin, at the bottom of your message you write, "It is not because of Worthington that we are not top of the table". Tell me something, please. Do you ever stop to think before you write at the way logic works. Logically, if it is not because of Worthington that we are not top of the table, then it also follows that it would not be because of Worthington if we were top of the table. Therefore, in your world, it does not matter who the manager is. The truth of the matter, of course, is that everyone within an organisation plays a role as to a successful outcome, particularly the people leading an organisation. This is why the man managing a football club understands the pressure to succeed, particularly a manager of a club who has the largest supporter attendance/capacity ratio in the division.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

Worthington and Foley have set their standard for the season.  Worthington said there could be no excuse for us not being promoted and Foley asked that they be judged at the end of season. 

So if promotion is not acheived then they should be judged and both go.

[/quote]i''m hoping worthy pulls it off and keeps his pre-season promise.  a playoff position or near miss may be enough for him to keep his job, but in all truth, we need to play like a top 3 side to make it now. 4 points every 2 games.  5 wins in 5 has buoyed the spirits, but the manner of the last 2 defeats has me worried again.  we need a good display at plymouth for sure to get us moving forward again.

If we don''t make the final of the play-offs (not just the play-offs), we should look elsewhere for a manager and coaching staff, and those who control the wider management should take some of the blame. But we should be very careful in who we choose, and I wouldn''t like to say who would be right for us. I''d have Steve Coppell (no chance), but as for all the other names I''ve read, none of them appeals.

Do you honestly think we will be romantising about;

Luton (a), QPR (a), Sheff W (h), Millwall (a), Derby (a), PNE (h), WHU (h).

The home game against Preston was gutless the cup game against West Ham was hopeless.

Against West Ham young Jarvis - normally a midfielder or left back was played at right back - why didnt we play Doherty and Shackell at centre backs and Fleming as a right back giving an experienced back four. Shackells face doesnt fit another of NW floors favouritism.

Roll on a change.

Yankeedoodle - "do you ever stop to think before you write about how logic works" ... hmmm how eloquently cutting.

What I mean is that there are other factors currently that are affecting the team just as there are other factors that come into play when you are top of the league. Our success is not solely down to Worthington as, I am sure, he would be the first person to agree. Regime change will not in the long term bring improvements to league position. I believe, in my humblest opinion that trust in the management will lead to long term revival and a climbing of the league. Worthington deserves to hold the job that he holds and talk of wishing to replace him with an ex player with minimal experience in management is quite frankly laughable ... now that is logic.

I feel that with the players worthy has at his dissposal and the money that he has had since summer 04 not having a team good enough to make the championship players is a joke. Only jonson who he has spent moneyon in the last 18-20 months has gone. We''ve had more to spend than anyone and so far the only good side i have seen at norwich have been preston, so it would be pathetic if we didnrt make the play offs. So i to go, i would love to see martin o neil at norwich, with people like Iwan and Dave Williams on the coaching staff. it would be refreshing to have a well liked and succesful manager, motivating for the players because O''neil has done alot as manager and also great for the young talent because williams has been with them for 2 years and so thery know him and they also probably looked up to iwan when he was a norwich player.

In my opinion unless we play really well between now and the end of the season, if we dont go up worthy has to go.

My concern Duke, is that the pressure on any new manager would be significant as it is unlikely that Ashton, Green, Huckerby etc will be available for selection. Would any new manager be given time to rebuild, a) by the board and b) by the fans? The spiral that has affected the likes of Preston, Stoke, Burnley, Millwall etc etc then begins with the possibility that managers begin to come and go.

It is my belief that NW is a good manager at stabilising a team and building a good work ethic and togetherness. Unfortunately I do not believe he is able to develop teams any further than this and I think the past two seasons have confirmed this. Some managers work towards bright attacking football (Keegan, Wenger, Newell) but NW does not appear to want to go down this route.

Possibles - Newell, Crook (maybe alongside?), Sturrock