Sign in to follow this  
Unthank Road

How bad is Nigel Worthington's Transfer Record?

Anorak time.

By my reckoning since summer 2003 Worthy has signed 31 players: Francis, Edworthy, Briggs, Brennan, Hammond, Huckerby, Crouch, McKenzie, Svensson, Harper, Cooper, Ward, Gallacher, Charlton, Helveg, Jonson, Bentley, Safri, Ashton, Doherty, Stuart, Louis-Jean, Colin, Davenport, Etuhu, Robinson, Marney, Jarrett, Hughes, Thorne, Lisbie.

IMHO 13 of those could be deemed a success: Francis, Edworthy, Huckerby, Crouch, McKenzie, Svensson, Harper, Cooper, Charlton, Bentley, Safri, Ashton and Davenport.

The others are either failures or unproven as yet.

Do people think this is good enough? No one gets it right all the time

Ferguson - Djemba-djemba, Forlan, Kleberson

Wenger - Jeffers

Although what is concerning is that there appears to be a real decline in the quality of the signings.

I''ve been told that in Worthington''s time he has signed 51 players on either loan or permanent deals.

By my reckoning we have had 10 players who could be deemed to have done well in their time here: Ashton, Safri, Huckerby, Bentley, McKenzie, Crouch, Edworthy, Francis, Svensson and Doherty.

That means that less than 25% of his signings have been good. Thats an awful record!!!

In his defence, when he has spent "big" money, the players have generally been all good signings. (except Emblem, and possibly Hughes).  When you buy average players, you can''t expect them to put in superb performances. I think that is why the investment, and coaching of the youngsters is a must. We could easily see a good Norwich team, based upon more expensive, and better players, combined with quality youth players.

On the face of it, we have a very good spine.

Green, Doherty, Shackell, Safri, Hucks and Ashton.

I''d like to see youngsters being blooded in around these players

But then we read that if he sells Dean Ashton (10 goals already in a very indifferent season) NW will buy Neil Mellor or Andy Gray - why? because they are quality strikers? No, because they are cheap and available! ''Nuff said.

[quote user="Damo for England"]

I''ve been told that in Worthington''s time he has signed 51 players on either loan or permanent deals.

By my reckoning we have had 10 players who could be deemed to have done well in their time here: Ashton, Safri, Huckerby, Bentley, McKenzie, Crouch, Edworthy, Francis, Svensson and Doherty.

That means that less than 25% of his signings have been good. Thats an awful record!!!

[/quote]

I am not sure I would put bently on the good list.... However Adam Drury and gary holt seem to be missing here - both quality players (even tho holty was not premiership quality)