Sign in to follow this  
Robbo007

Does anyone ever think "what might have been" ?

No one can say there is ever a dull moment when supporting Norwich (well, apart from the post O''Neill - Pre-Worthy years :-) ). Anyway, I have been supporting Norwich since the late 80''s. There have been some memorable moments, but there have also been occasions when you look back and think what might have been.

1. 92/93 season, we were winning the Premier League at Xmas. What would have happened to the club if we''d have held on?! Would we have assembled a top squad of international players? we would have been playing the equivalent of Champions league football, but then, would Chase have sold off our top players?? Would we have done a Blackburn and get relegated within 2 seasons? We will never be in a position again to be Champions of England.

2. 14th November ''95. The day Chase refused to give Martin O''Neill the money to buy Dean Windass. What would have been if O''Neill had of stayed? Would we have been gracing the Premiership the season after relegation? Where would he have taken us?

3. Chase being ousted. I firmly believe we would have slipped down the leagues further still if he''d have stayed at the helm, but then, on the pitch would we be doing any worse than we are now? Would Chase of gotten rid of Worthy? Would we be bancrupt?

4. The Penalty shoot-out. Was the defeat a blessing in disguise? I believe promotion to the premiership, with an average squad would have done more harm then good. But then, would we now be a solid premiership team, not having to travel 300 miles to watch us take on Plymouth?!

5. Fulham, May ''06. Instead of playing to 6000 people at Crewe, we could have been playing to 60,000 at Old Trafford. But for that one game, We were safe if we won. Too many people bottled it on that day. Other clubs'' players on being relegated look distraught, often crying. Norwich looked like they had accepted defeat before 3pm. Nigel would be known as Sir Nigel, and we would be watching a different team if that result would have gone for us.

Looking forward, I can see another big moment coming up. Dean Ashton. The man who can propel us into the Premiership, and keep us there. But what if he loses form, and we sell him on for a loss? Will we accept 7 million, buy in 3-4 quality replacements and storm the league? Will we not spend anything, and remove some of the debts and buy some more seats?      Big Decisions need to be made that could effect the club for years to come

[quote user="Robbo007"]

No one can say there is ever a dull moment when supporting Norwich (well, apart from the post O''Neill - Pre-Worthy years :-) ). Anyway, I have been supporting Norwich since the late 80''s. There have been some memorable moments, but there have also been occasions when you look back and think what might have been.

1. 92/93 season, we were winning the Premier League at Xmas. What would have happened to the club if we''d have held on?! Would we have assembled a top squad of international players? we would have been playing the equivalent of Champions league football, but then, would Chase have sold off our top players?? Would we have done a Blackburn and get relegated within 2 seasons? We will never be in a position again to be Champions of England.

2. 14th November ''95. The day Chase refused to give Martin O''Neill the money to buy Dean Windass. What would have been if O''Neill had of stayed? Would we have been gracing the Premiership the season after relegation? Where would he have taken us?

3. Chase being ousted. I firmly believe we would have slipped down the leagues further still if he''d have stayed at the helm, but then, on the pitch would we be doing any worse than we are now? Would Chase of gotten rid of Worthy? Would we be bancrupt?

4. The Penalty shoot-out. Was the defeat a blessing in disguise? I believe promotion to the premiership, with an average squad would have done more harm then good. But then, would we now be a solid premiership team, not having to travel 300 miles to watch us take on Plymouth?!

5. Fulham, May ''06. Instead of playing to 6000 people at Crewe, we could have been playing to 60,000 at Old Trafford. But for that one game, We were safe if we won. Too many people bottled it on that day. Other clubs'' players on being relegated look distraught, often crying. Norwich looked like they had accepted defeat before 3pm. Nigel would be known as Sir Nigel, and we would be watching a different team if that result would have gone for us.

Looking forward, I can see another big moment coming up. Dean Ashton. The man who can propel us into the Premiership, and keep us there. But what if he loses form, and we sell him on for a loss? Will we accept 7 million, buy in 3-4 quality replacements and storm the league? Will we not spend anything, and remove some of the debts and buy some more seats?      Big Decisions need to be made that could effect the club for years to come

[/quote]

An interesting post Robbo, and most of which I can remember!!  I am a  lot older than you I think too. 

Your first point, if, after Milan Chase had agreed with Walker and funded another two players (I think it was two Walker wanted) who knows, we were certainly up there with the likes of Man U, and personally I think had we invested in players rather than car parks etc we would now be a lot stronger - we had a great great team which was a hundred times better than the one we have now.  It''s a shame it all now seems a long, long time ago.  Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing and we now know we were already financially embarassed due to Chase''s greed for all things concrete.

O''Neill - even without Dean Windass I think we would have gone up that season and let''s face it, we will never again have a manager of that stature at our club.  Chase really has a lot to answer for.  With Martin O''Neill we could have become Charlton, Bolton etc very easily. 

If Chase hadn''t gone we would no longer be watching football at Carrow Road, we were two weeks away from being wound up.  Fact as discussed at many a forum and in the press.  Delia saved our club.

The play offs, I don''t really think we would have done any better then than last season,  it''s the manager rather than the team which cost us the Premiership.

It wasn''t just down to Fulham, we lost the right to the Prem before that with some bizarre and naive tactics, over relance on players not up to the job.  We were really relegated long before the Fulham game and that game only over emphasised what sort of team we are under Worthington.  Go out and enjoy the game he said, they went out and thought they were in a training match.  Enough said.

If we sell Ashton this month I can see most of the money going to paying debts off.  If he goes I don''t want anymore donkeys brought in with the money, best pay off debts and get in a new management team for a serious promotion push next season.

it mind sound rather cock-eyed but i''d sooner we bought no one if we sold Deano....

as Gazza says the 7 million can go a long way to paying off the clubs debts... Wiping almost half of what we owe out in 1 swoop.. meaning we will be one of the richest clubs in the league and might then be able to channel even more assets into the playing squad next season....

have to agree about the Europe years... i fully believe that if Chase had backed Walker and made the cash available then MW would still be manager today and we would be the best team in England.. and possibly a respected and feared European side... we''d be able to put 1 in the eye of chelski by proving that having billions doesnt necessarily equate to success....

the fulham game was a debacle... we went out there with the mindset of "oh we''re going down".. when we could easily of beaten Fulham, they arent much cop... we were better than them on the day... looking back at the higlight of that game we didnt tackle, we didnt pass, we just ran around.... Whilst Worthington sat there....

at 4-0 down we decided to throw everyone forward for a come back of middlesboro proportions only to end up looking even more embaressed/...

A manager with a bit of nous would of got us fired up for that game! we''d of had fyulham pinned back and shot from everywhere in the hope of scoring... we didnt.
      Worthington is the reason we are where we are.... a poor manager with little grasp on the simple side of football.... He wasnt a bad player, but as a manager he just cant cut it!

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

it mind sound rather cock-eyed but i''d sooner we bought no one if we sold Deano....

as Gazza says the 7 million can go a long way to paying off the clubs debts... Wiping almost half of what we owe out in 1 swoop.. meaning we will be one of the richest clubs in the league and might then be able to channel even more assets into the playing squad next season....

have to agree about the Europe years... i fully believe that if Chase had backed Walker and made the cash available then MW would still be manager today and we would be the best team in England.. and possibly a respected and feared European side... we''d be able to put 1 in the eye of chelski by proving that having billions doesnt necessarily equate to success....

the fulham game was a debacle... we went out there with the mindset of "oh we''re going down".. when we could easily of beaten Fulham, they arent much cop... we were better than them on the day... looking back at the higlight of that game we didnt tackle, we didnt pass, we just ran around.... Whilst Worthington sat there....

at 4-0 down we decided to throw everyone forward for a come back of middlesboro proportions only to end up looking even more embaressed/...

A manager with a bit of nous would of got us fired up for that game! we''d of had fyulham pinned back and shot from everywhere in the hope of scoring... we didnt.
      Worthington is the reason we are where we are.... a poor manager with little grasp on the simple side of football.... He wasnt a bad player, but as a manager he just cant cut it!

jas :)

[/quote]

Do you really ''fully believe'' the paragraph about Europe, are you on medication?

Also congratulations on turning a lighthearted post into another WO rant.