Sign in to follow this  
Cantiaci Canary

Away Form

Just a quick call out here. This is not intended as criticism of Worthington but I wonder how revealing this quotation from him is:

"I have always said your home form is of prime importance and whatever you pick up on the road is always a plus."

I have, for a long time, been frustrated with Norwich''s appalling away form. It is so tragic that I believe it really must point out that we are doing something clearly wrong in preparation or attitude. So many times I have seen Norwich come out from the tunnel away from all bubbly but within a minutes have fallen back, heads down, chasing the ball looking out classed. They rarely IMPOSE themselves on their opponents away. 

Perhaps it is the humble attitude ... "whatever you pick up on the road is always a plus". Of course the players go out believing that they can win every game, and try to, but maybe this is part of the problem. They are not viewed as win-at-all costs matches because they aren''t at Carrow Road. This is tapping into the whole - I wish Norwich were more confident, imposing, proud and muscular argument too.

Remember we only needed to have won ONE away game in the Premier League to have stayed up and we didn''t/couldn''t.

Thoughts?

Our away record this season makes for pretty grim reading. Apparently, only Luton have lost more games on their travels. Worthy hasn''t always presided over a team who are reluctant to perform away from home though. I believe the championship winning side won 9 or more away matches in the 2003-2004 season. It''s a pity he can''t send his team out with a more positive mindset now.  Perhaps the horrendous injury list is something of a justifiable excuse, however.

[quote user="stephen nobbs"] It''s a pity he can''t send his team out with a more positive mindset now. [/quote]I think you''ll see a defensive 4-3-3 formation today, with city trying to catch ''em on the break.  our strong defence has given us some confidence away from home, but my woory against plymouth today, is that without safri, the formation can''t work and we could lose as a result.I''d love to see 4-4-2 today, and have a real go at a plymouth, who are an average championship side in truth.

No of course you are right our immediate away form is extremely impressive but you have got to be stunned by the amount of times we lose away over the recent campaigns. Maybe it just seems so many because I always seem to be there! Yes it was Premiership last season but to not win a single away match? I just feel something in the set up is not right ... maybe it''s something the mind coach has picked up on!

the year we made the playoffs and the season after our away form was shocking!

if it wasnt for such a good home form we wouldnt of even finished mid table in those seasons

jas :)

"if it wasnt for such a good home form we wouldnt of even finished mid table in those seasons"

True of any side if you want to do well!