Sign in to follow this  
Ken Aries

What's your favourite away match watching Norwich City?

Mine would have to be, for sheer atmosphere the Crewe game the year we were premoted to the prem. It was a great game, they gave us a guard of honour to come out to. It was Iwans last game and at the end of the game he was given a guard of honour. Also at the end of the game we were all allowed on the pitch. It was a fantastic day all round

1 - Barnsley in the play-off season, amazing support.

2 - Crewe in the championship season. Great fans, great game, and being on the pitch with the Crewe fans at the end was brilliant.

3 - Cardiff.. Shall say no more.

Spurs away last season actually.. end to end stuff, both keepers keeping their team in it, Shots galore and Hucks almost, ALMOST won me £40!

was a good day out and i liked it :)

Everton away in the cup aswell, 2 seasons ago... for some reason where i sat just went mental when we scored and there was a huge crush... good fun!!!

jas :)

[quote user="Swarney"]I thought we beat walsall 3-1 that season coming back from 1 nil down, and crouch was sent off.[/quote]

We did win, and i was laughing at my leicester supporting mate who was at the game.

Not sure if I can class it as a favourite game, but the most memorable was Southampton away last season.  Quite an unbelievable game. Can remember about 5 seconds of silence after Bentley scored because none of our fans could beleive we had actually scored!!

McKenzies injury time leveller.

Niemi''s incredible stop from Charlies header, then an absolute sickener of a goal to Camara (good goal though).

They didn''t even stay up!

Not sure the first one counts but...

1. Milk Cup final in 1985, dire game but hey we won the cup..

2. Beating Leeds 4-0 at elland road and I was in the directors box but was too young to understand that one should try to be diplomatic sometimes.

Mine has to be away at Sheff Weds a few years back, when we hamered them 5-0 at Hillsborough. It was over the Christmas period and I''d been to the Forest game a few days earlier only to see us beaten 2-0, without much of a fight to be honest, so wasnt expecting much, but we played them off the park, scoring at will - it was back in the days of David Neilson, and when he made an effort, if I recall, he got 2, Kenton got 1 & McVeigh got 1, all before half time, then Holt scored a screamer from 25-30 yards in the second half.

For the record, my first away game was ''them down the road'', in a Hospital cup game - anyone remember them? It finished 1-1, all I remember was that Bowen equalised late on.

grimsby quarter final of milk cup/league cup year we won it ,loads of snow kept thinking it would be called off we won 1=0 great snowball fight and atmosphere

Having read all your interesting posts of favourite NCFC away days, I see one or two of you mentioned our trip to Cardiff (is it really 4 years ago now??) in 2002.  I would have to say it was a never to be forgotten experience and a wonderful day out. It was amazing seeing so much yellow and green everywhere before the game.  I can''t imagine how euphoric I would have been if we''d won! Can we make a return trip this year and actually win it this time?  Disregarding atmosphere and a great sense of occasion, the best game of football in my opinion still has to be Bramall Lane 1986.

It has taken me a while to add to this thread but I wanted to check some facts.

Let me take you back to 12th April 1975.  Norwich under John Bond had been relegated from the old 1st Division and were going for promotion.  Three up and five good teams chasing.  Manchester United had pretty much done it sorted with four matches to go.  The others were Villa, Sunderland, City and Bristol City.  Norwich won at AshtonGate on 29th March to pretty much knock Bristol out of it.  City were fourth and needed to overtake Sunderland.  42 games in the season and this was number 39.

On 8th April Norwich scraped a lucky win at Hillsborough against Wednesday with a Dave Stringer header.  On the 12th they were away to Millwall.  A dangerous game as Millwall were scrapping against relegation.  It was also dangerous because this was the height of the hooligan era and Millwall was the home of the top gangs.  If it had not been such a crucial game I doubt if I would have gone.  Remember that there were no fences, no effective segregation and the safest place to be an away fan was with the home old men and boys.

City were a very good team.  Solid at the back, inventive in midfield with Suggett, McGuire, Morris and the newly arrived Peters beginning to take charge and up front was the best forward partnership evert to play for City.....MacDougall and Boyer.

Going to the ground was scary.  Gangs loitering and looking for visiting supporters.  An unpleasant atmosphere all round.

The game itself was frustrating.  You would not have known that there was a Canary fan in the place.

City did not play up to their potential.  They went behind after 27 minutes to goal by their centre back at a corner - nothing changes....City no show and go behind from a corner!!!

It dragged on till the 90th minute.  A last minute corner.  Sullivan hit it across and then...WHAM.  Out of nowhere the replacement right back Geoff Butler; only playing because Mel mMachin was injured in the league cup final; charged in to head his only goal for City.  It smashed home.  I leapt from my seat.  All around the ground small clumps of City fans were jumping with joy and waving flags or scarves.  Instantly, sanity prevailed.  Scarves pushed back in bags and pockets and everyone quietened down hoping no one had spotted them.  It was scary and comic all at once.

We got home safely.  City stayed fourth as they did when beating Forest the following week the first goal being Peters first for the club.  I thought he was going to run out of the ground he was so excited.

The following week City won at Portsmouth who played with Kenny Foggo.  I went that day to Villa Park.  Ron Saunders team bullied Sunderland 2-0. (Don''t feel sorry for Sunderland; they were victims that day but their visit to FCR early in March was the most brutal cynical performance I have ever seen by a visiting team.).  We were third and uncatchable.  We were back in the top division!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen City play better but Millwall was the most exciting, dramatic,comic and memorable away game I have seen

" A dangerous game as Millwall were scrapping against relegation "

Remember it well. Hardly any City fans went to the game. Got into their main stand for safety but were attacked and abused all through the first half. Left the ground and were attacked, ended up in Greenwich Hospital. Nothing serious but all rather disturbing, Brilliant season. Away at Stoke when the kids who were beside the railway track going home stoned the carriages. Cue cord being pulled a literally hundreds piling out to give chase across the playing field into a housing estate. Even madder clambering back on the train as it slowlymoved off.

Sheff Weds away in 1982. We lost 2-1 therefore ending our promotion hopes or so it seemed. Weds fans on the pitch at the end taunting us. Then the news came in on dozens or radios rom Shrewsbury that Leicester had actually drawn 0-0 and we were up. Deafening roar erupted and Weds fans dissolved.

April 1972 Orient away night match and us clinging onto a 2-1 win. The road outside the ground was just one huge party as we had clinched promotion. Going rather silly on the pitch as well after the game.

But the daddy of them all was and will always be saturday 18th Feb 1967.

Was dicussing this thread with Mrs Sid and friends on the way to Plymouth this weekend, and one we came up with no-one has mentioned. It was Sept 93, and a trip to Goodison Park ended with us beating Everton 5-1 with Efan Ekoku getting 4 (think Sutton got the other). Great Days!!

How would you rate your latest trip then, Sid? Is it in your top ten of away matches? Was it worth the considerable effort of travelling down to "far-flung" Devon?

im suprised people didnt take Advantage of fly be....

Witth Flights from both Norwich and Exeter you coud of left at 11 am arriving in Exeter at 11:40 before hopping on a train for the short 30 minute ride to plymouth... ok so it might of cost a bit more but you could of been home before the lottery draw!

jas :)

"Far-flung" Devon is right, I''d make them play in the French League!! As a day out it was enjoyable, got there good and early, had a look around Plymouth, got a couple of beers, then the game started!! Top ten of away matches? Not even close, we should surely be beating the likes of Plymouth if we''re serious about the play-offs. One positive was the performance of Jarrett, his best game for City by far until he limped off. However, the day as a whole made it worth the journey. 

Glad you enjoyed most of your day out in Plymouth, Sid. I always find something to make the day worthwhile on City away days, even if it''s only the few jars in the pub before and after the game. I''m thinking of going to Hull in a few weeks time. I must confess that it will be my 1st away trip since City lost 1-0 at Sunderland in 2004. Boy! was that a fantastic atmosphere that day, on learning of the Canaries promotion to the Premiership on the night.