Sign in to follow this  
Ken Aries

What's your favourite away match watching Norwich City?

Mine has to be way back in 1986. Ken Brown was in charge and City played some beautiful passing football that season and went on to be worthy champions of the old second division. The venue was Bramall Lane and City hammered Sheffield Utd either 5-2 or 5-3, unfortunately being 20 years ago I can''t quite remember, but I think it was one of those occasions where they were so dominant that they could have scored more! Equally i don''t recall details like who scored that day, but I wouldn''t be a bit surprised if Drinkell scored at least 1. Did anybody else go to this game, or are their other away matches that spring to mind as being top quality?

[quote user="stephen nobbs"]

Mine has to be way back in 1986. Ken Brown was in charge and City played some beautiful passing football that season and went on to be worthy champions of the old second division. The venue was Bramall Lane and City hammered Sheffield Utd either 5-2 or 5-3, unfortunately being 20 years ago I can''t quite remember, but I think it was one of those occasions where they were so dominant that they could have scored more! Equally i don''t recall details like who scored that day, but I wouldn''t be a bit surprised if Drinkell scored at least 1. Did anybody else go to this game, or are their other away matches that spring to mind as being top quality?

[/quote]

Ive not been to too many away but

The 1 nil defeat in Inter was amazing and heartbreaking - we played so well that day and never deserved to lose. i could barely talk for a week afterwards we sang so much

The best for me was the 1 nil win at anfield on the last day of the old kop. They wheeled out all the old heros before the match. Jerry goss scored and the liverpool fans were singing "Your Supposed to Let Us Win!!" fantastic!!

My Favourite away Games, there is two, have to be my First Ever away game to watch Bayern Munich Game, being part of the History that was made that night was fantastic! But, for games in this country, my first trip to Anfield was amazing, that game summed up the passion that is felt in that city for the sport... and they were getting a new stand, and another piece of history was written by a certain MR. GOSS!! Everytime I go back, which is quite often i sit in the Kop and the atmosphere is immense...

Inter was a great game, but most fun was Watford a couple of seasons ago (promotion season).  Best atmosphere of any game followed by taking over Euston Station. 

Walsall and derby in the promotion year were great performasnces, so they are up there.

Also, The play off semi at wolves when we went through on aggregate is actually probably my favourite. I have never enjoyed being stuck on a moterway for so long that much, every norwich fan was out the cars and running about the roads in sleepy wolves at midnight.

Going to anfield and the millenium stadium rank highly despite the results, and another good away memory iss fulham last year before the game. The atmosphere was electric.

[quote user="Dicky"]Inter was a great game, but most fun was Watford a couple of seasons ago (promotion season).  Best atmosphere of any game followed by taking over Euston Station. [/quote]

for atmosphere, it has to be cardiff, Vs Birmingham!

what a day, despite the result, it was amazing.

I have 4 particularly memorable away matches:

1.   Burnley away in the promotion season - fantastic support in a horrible surrounding and a bizarre game - but some fantastic football.

2.   Rotherham away in the promotion season - No Norwich fan will ever see support for the team like there was at Rotherham. You could sense as the players went in at half time that they weren''t finished yet. It''s been said before - the fans did the half time team talk on that day.

3.   Barnsley away in the play off season - phenominal support at a game with so much hanging on the result for both teams.

The next one is for the supporters who were there through all the bad times...

4.   Tranmere away when Brian McGovern went blasting down the right wing to smash a hole through the goal and keep us in division 1. This game means so much more to me now as i''m not just one of the supporters who can only name games from the promotion season.

Favourite away game, god so many, and none of them funnily enough recently!!

Last fave away game has to be Barnsley in the play off year, much better than Watford as there was a great sense of anticipation about the place, seeing all those coaches lined up in their car park on the hill made one feel proud.

Have to say most of my fave away games happened in the Ken Brown, Dave Stringer and Mike Walker (first time) era.  Most of these are a long time ago, but Arsenal away, Leeds, Chelsea watching Fox, Sutton, Gunn etc was magic and never to be forgotten. Someone mentioned Anfield, yes, a great day that one, probably more so for the Liverpool fans.   Funnily enough, though not enjoyable in the football sense, cold weather games have always stuck in the memory, Bolton away in the league cup during the Chase Out era, when on a below freezing point night it went into extra time (Gunny saved a pen to put us through to the next round).  We joined the Bolton fans (we were on an open terrace) singing "Let''s all have a disco!" to keep warm.  It was v cold.  Ditto Portsmouth last year, when dressed up as Robin with Meeky as Batman.  God we were cold! 

Any more, for any more? I was hoping for a more enthusiastic response than this. Thanks to those who did respond though.

Boxing Day in early 90s- maybe 92 or 93 against Spurs. We had 3500 supporters singing all afternoon and won 3-1. Jason Dozzell had moved there from Ipswich, was through on goal twice and Super Ian Culverhouse took the ball off his feet both times. Terrific.

Also in the early/mid 90s going to Chelsea winning 2-1 when Robert Fleck came on (for Chelsea)  to huge cheers from us in the away end. He missed a sitter in front of us, turned to face us, grinned and shrugged his shoulders. What a bloke.

Cardiff was special, but the result spoiled the trip home. Atmosphere at both FA Cup semis great, but performances and result meant they were damp squibs.

There''s so many, the game at huddersfield where Sutch went in goal and

played a blinder, the fantastic atmosphere and day out in Cardiff for

the playoff final, but for me the most enjoyable away games have been

Bradford in 1995, we gave them an absolute footballing lesson. It was

only 2:0, Sutch and Eadie but it could have been 10. Barnsley in the

playoff season was fantastic too, great atmosphere in pub and ground,

sunny day, we never stopped singing and city got the performance and

result we needed, oh happy days..........

It''s hard to match the elation of seeing Leon''s and Sven''s debuts and

beating the scum on their patch to go top of the league in December and

never to be moved! (I don''t count the 24hr period from one Friday

evening when the Baggies played and won only for us to be back there by

5pm the following day!)

The majority of away matches i''ve seen were in the north west when i

was at uni from 96-2000. Which were dark days indeed. So a win away in

those days seemed like a cup win!

Formost in my mind of those rare wins is and amazing 3-2 win, again

at Bramall Lane with Mike Walker in his second spell. We were behind

1-0 and 2-1 in that game and when one Ulf Ottosson converted a Fleck

cross to make it 3-2 all hell broke loose in the away end! The atmos

after that was awesome. All the city cars were honking at each other on

their way out of Sheffield and shouting the Ulf chants out of their

windows to each other, which went something like "Ulf Ulf Ulf Ulf!"

It went a bit wrong for us though as we managed to lose the cars we

were following and ended up on some dodgy estate. I can even remember

the name of it... Norfolk Park!!! Oh the irony!

Picture the scene: a B reg VW polo overloaded with four yellow and

green clad fans, scarves trailing from the windows, just

after a gauling defeat for the sheff u fans, looking very lost and

crawling through a dodgy estate in Sheffield! I remember shouting to

the others "for f**ks sake pull the scarves in, pull them in!!" That the worst we

suffered was a mouthful of gob launched onto the bonnet from

a passing resident was a minor miracle!

That Sheff Utd away game back in 1986 has ever since ranked as my top Norwich moment.  We were so fantastic and so dominant it was an occasion I''ll never forget.  Evem remember Wayne Biggins playing brilliantly, and Mark Barham, but David Williams was the complete star for me - what a player.

My favourite away game was many moons ago (cannot remember the year, old age is a terrible thing), we beat Leicester 4-1 at Filbert Street, we played them off the park. We got promoted to Div 1 that season (which had started so badly with a 4-1 defeat against Rotherham at Millmoor). 

Showing my age a bit I suspect, but a 4-1 win at leicester in 1982 when it was us or them for the 3rd promotion spot, a 2-0 win at Anfield a season later (Martin O''Neill from 35+ yards), along with his last minute winner at Portaloo Rd for a 3-2 Boxing Day triumph the same season, a 4-0 win at St Andrews around the same time courtesy of messrs deehan and Bertschin, (especially as I has Corbiere in the grand national on the same day), winning the Milk Cup in ''85 (well it was away awsn''t it), definitely an away day in Munich and the following seasons revenge at Blackburn (3-2 having lost 7-1 the season before) and pinching myself as we won 4-0 at Leeds with Gossy''s goal of the century.

In more recent times 5-3 at Burnley and the 2-0 at Watford in promo season (especially as I''m now enjoying the memories with my son) and best premier day out was the hope that the early season 2-2 comeback at Newcastle gave.

Thank goodness for the memories eh - it''s what keeps me sane amidst some of the dross!!

So many memories thinking about this. The Sheff U game in 86 (5-2) en route to the 2nd division title, Liverpool in December 88 (1-0 Townsend) that kept us top of the old 1st Division singing "Hand it over Liverpool" to a disbelieving kop. Two wins at Old Trafford in 88 ansd 89 (2-1 & 2-0 I think). The Leeds 4-0 romp in 93 starring Jerry Goss, Arnheim, Munich & Milan for obvious reasons. Tranmere in 2001, Brian McGovern keeps us up. Wolves in the play off semi, and the day out in Cardiff. Watford in the promotion season. Pride of place must go to Ip***ch in Dec 2003, Top of the league at Portaloo Road, Leon scores twice on his debut and it was my birthday!!

I''m glad that Hissing Sid and August 64 agree with me that Bramall Lane in ''86 was a memorable game of football. To put things in perspective, I have to admit I''m not a regular at away matches, so I''ve probably missed plenty of tremendous performances over the years.

1) Winning 2-0 at Old Trafford in about 88/89. It was Gary Pallister''s debut for Utd and Rosario tunred him amd left him for dead in the box and was tripped by pallister for a penalty which Flecky? stuck away. Fergie was on the verge of the sack that season.

2) Winning 2-0 at Wolves when Martin O-Neill was manager. Ashly Ward scored a screamer and Steve Bull was sent off in the last minute. Was a bit awkward getting out after the game though...Wolves fans seemed upset that Bully got sent off rather than the fact we had beaten them.No police in site anywhere. That was also the game where a steward tried to throw a City fan out for swearing til my father (6ft3 tall) said to the steward..''Ok in that case i want to see you throw all that lot out for swearing too''..pointing at the nearby Wolves fans. lol.

3) Again in that 86 season we went to Shrewsbury and absolutely played a blinder and won 3-0. It was men against boys...Drinkell scored a couple that year. It''s funny how a lot of people have remembered that team as a great side who played stylish football but you don''t hear it mentioned too often!

i also remember the sheff u 5-2 game . im pretty sure barham , biggins and mendham scored , ill have to dig out my old vids , ive got tons of them , going right back to 1984 ! my own personal fav would have to be totl@pr , if only because everything came together on one day after so many attempts at going top . perfect !

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

Walsall and derby in the promotion year were great performasnces, so they are up there.

Also, The play off semi at wolves when we went through on aggregate is actually probably my favourite. I have never enjoyed being stuck on a moterway for so long that much, every norwich fan was out the cars and running about the roads in sleepy wolves at midnight.

Going to anfield and the millenium stadium rank highly despite the results, and another good away memory iss fulham last year before the game. The atmosphere was electric.

[/quote]

thanks for reminding me about Walsall away Matt, that was the game I first started to believe we were going to do it...

Not exactly my favourite one but one I''ll always remember was my first ever game - at Ipswich in 77/78, we lost 4-0; I was 8, and had only ever seen footy on tv, but was hooked on going to games after that - though couldn''t afford to go regularly until the early 80s.

There are plenty of obvious games to pick, but my favourite away games would probably both be at Arsenal (though so would some of my less favourite ones!):

1986/87; last game of the season, we played well and beat them 2-1; Paul Hayes (I think it was) missed a pen right at the end of the game for them to let us to secure 5th spot, our highest ever finish: our fans were ecstatic, they finished 4th but their fans couldn''t have cared less. 

1992/93; first game of season, no one in the media really gave us a hope of doing much and with us 2-0 down at half time they were being proved right....but then the world got turned on its head in the most amazing final 20 minutes of a game that I can recall as an away fan - on comes Robins, scores twice on debut, with Fox and Phillips scoring inbetween, and our best ever season ensues.  I lived in Putney at the time and I couldn''t stop smiling with disbelief all the way home, sat alongside the Arsenal fans.  Brilliant.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]

Favourite away game, god so many, and none of them funnily enough recently!!

Last fave away game has to be Barnsley in the play off year, much better than Watford as there was a great sense of anticipation about the place, seeing all those coaches lined up in their car park on the hill made one feel proud.

Have to say most of my fave away games happened in the Ken Brown, Dave Stringer and Mike Walker (first time) era.  Most of these are a long time ago, but Arsenal away, Leeds, Chelsea watching Fox, Sutton, Gunn etc was magic and never to be forgotten. Someone mentioned Anfield, yes, a great day that one, probably more so for the Liverpool fans.   Funnily enough, though not enjoyable in the football sense, cold weather games have always stuck in the memory, Bolton away in the league cup during the Chase Out era, when on a below freezing point night it went into extra time (Gunny saved a pen to put us through to the next round).  We joined the Bolton fans (we were on an open terrace) singing "Let''s all have a disco!" to keep warm.  It was v cold.  Ditto Portsmouth last year, when dressed up as Robin with Meeky as Batman.  God we were cold! 

[/quote]

Gazza

Thanks for bringing back that memory of Chelsea - I was living the life of riley as a student in London at the time and a female friend of mine wanted to go to her first football game - what better than to take her to see the mighty yellow & green machine at Stamford Bridge - only thing was she decided to invite 3 of her female mates along (God knows what she thought was going to happen...)...Anyway, there I was strutting along like the king of the world, 4 females in tow down the Fulham Road...Could it get any better?   Boy did it get better - a thumping win over a truly abject Chelsea, teaching 4 ladies the words of OTBC, Let''s all have a disco etc and trying desperately to avoid being dragged into earnest conversations on how nice Bryan Gunn''s legs were...Ah memories....

Best away game ever though - either the FA Cup 5th round @ Upton Park - being rammed into that stand and the atmosphere was fantastic - or Goss''s goal at Anfield that silenced the Kop on their last official appearance - eat my goal....!

Mine would be boxing day early 80s (82?) at portalooo road - 3-2 win with O''Neill strike a late screamer - my celebration did not go down well in the tahn cirectors box..but boy it felt good as they had a strong side then.

An odd choice: Wimbledon/MK Dons Jan 04. Huckerby volley from WLY long cross in the icy wind.  Then 6-0-6 on Five Live all the way home full of City fans - and Alun Green saying we were going up.

Closely followed by Reading Easter 04.Mulyrne courtesy of ref.

It was games like that, that win you promotion. So far this year we have Sheff Utd, Scum and Brighton in the same vein.

Watford/Sunderland etc were just great fun

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Mine would be boxing day early 80s (82?) at portalooo road - 3-2 win with O''Neill strike a late screamer - my celebration did not go down well in the tahn cirectors box..but boy it felt good as they had a strong side then.

Already put that one up ZLF - my celebrationons meant that I broke the brand new watch I had been given for Xmas the previous day by my Mum & Dad too: oh those heady days of enjoying success on the terraces!!

[/quote]