Sign in to follow this  
E I E I E I O

An average championship side!!!!

Does anyone else feel that this is all we are?

We have a fantastic fan base and deserve far more than the dross we are seeing this season. Worthington constantly buys crap players and I dont feel that we will get back to the Prem while he is here. The Play-offs are starting to take shape now and we will not be in there. We cant even beat plymouth away who were pathetic from what I saw at Carrow Road. I am fed up with purchases like Etuhu.

Does anyone else feel that Burley will get Southampton promoted next season and that we missed the boat with a couple of crap wins against cardiff etc...?

Get rid of Worthy now please!!!

The board will not give him the money to spend even if we have any. They must be suspect of his purchases and will have to sack him if we end up out the Play-Offs. Which is highly likely.

I think it was a good result , our away form is getting really good now and we''ve moved one place up the leauge , you can only draw or beat what''s infront of you. KTF !

I feel your frustration. I think we really need to remember how many key individuals are missing or off full match fitness from the team at the moment. However, Etuthu, Thorne, Colin, Louis-Jean, Robinson and JJ (for different reasons) have all failed to get the fans overly excited. After seeing Holt, Mulryne, Malky, Francis, Bentley go over recent times many will be left wondering how poor the players that have been brought in really are. Only time will tell but you cannot deny a nagging feeling that the team we had is now diluted with weakened players and many of our old shining lights have dimmed slightly since the relegation. Do Deano/Green want away, does Hucks terrorise as he did, do we really miss Francis that much, is Safri the key to all our dynamism ...

Would it be a disaster or a rebirth if Ash and Greeno went and we got £10 max to spend? So many questions but perhaps it is dangerous to ponder too much after the disappointment of a draw against Plymouth ... especially when Palace seem to be going great guns and that doesn''t help the mood. Watford at Carrow Road on Saturday - Malky for a headed winner?

This is just a daft post - any point away from home has to be good; you have to go out hoping/expecting to win, but there really are no mugs in this division.  Plymouth are a capable side - the only side to have beaten Reading this season, beat Palace comfortably only a few weeks ago and drew at both Wolves and Watford, so surely a draw is not bad at all given our injury situation. 

[quote user="Konstantin Pobedonostsev"]

I feel your frustration. I think we really need to remember how many key individuals are missing or off full match fitness from the team at the moment. However, Etuthu, Thorne, Colin, Louis-Jean, Robinson and JJ (for different reasons) have all failed to get the fans overly excited. After seeing Holt, Mulryne, Malky, Francis, Bentley go over recent times many will be left wondering how poor the players that have been brought in really are. Only time will tell but you cannot deny a nagging feeling that the team we had is now diluted with weakened players and many of our old shining lights have dimmed slightly since the relegation. Do Deano/Green want away, does Hucks terrorise as he did, do we really miss Francis that much, is Safri the key to all our dynamism ...

Would it be a disaster or a rebirth if Ash and Greeno went and we got £10 max to spend? So many questions but perhaps it is dangerous to ponder too much after the disappointment of a draw against Plymouth ... especially when Palace seem to be going great guns and that doesn''t help the mood. Watford at Carrow Road on Saturday - Malky for a headed winner?

[/quote]

Jason Jarret, Dickson Etuhu had a much better game for norwich.  City still relied on hucks to go on a wonderous run to score.  Shame we didnt create bugger all in the first half.  Shocking against an awful plymouth side

No, I think that this was a good result and I think that we are above average, especially with the players that we had missing today (McVeigh/ Safri/Robinson) - our away form has been excellent over the last month and a half.   

an interesting point was when Neil Adams said "Larreu hasnt made a save today, only the goal has beaten him".

We created 1 chance against one of the poorest sides in the division... Luckily we scored... Robert "flap" green made saves and Flaps in equal measure today...

I do agree with 1 person on Canary call that Greeno isnt the keeper he once was... He doesnt make those saves of old, and constantly misses the ball or flaps when he comes out for it... i''ve seen less flapping at Bernard Matthews!

We are an Average side... last season we were maybe a poor premiership side... although slightly unfair perhaps.. maybe "unfancied" is more the term... had Worthless not off loaded the players he did we would be top of the league and making even Reading look 3rd rate in comparison....

I agree with the Blackpool fan on Canary call and the other Chap.. Worthy isnt a football manager... he has just got very lucky... He sounded cluless again after the game today... deep down i really do think that he knows he doesnt know what he''s doing and cobbles it all together and hopes....

We need a football manager.. not a nice guy who''s got lucky... a manager who will get us some decent footballers and not the average cloggers we have now.

Worthington out!

jas :)

Or do we have the foundations of a good team mixed with league 2 standard plyers because of a non championship standard manager? Just a thought.

"...but perhaps it is dangerous to ponder too much after the disappointment of a draw against Plymouth.."

I''ll tell you what''s too dangerous to ponder - Worthington continuing to be in charge. Let''s not fool ourselves, this Club has the resources to field a side to beat poor teams like Plymouth by two or three goals. When you''ve got a midfield containing players like Etuhu, Jarrett, Hughes, Charlton, Brennan and Robinson, it''s no surprise that we don''t. Even if we sold players to be able to buy more, Worthy would buy more dross.

Konstantin - how many of these "key players" that you mention are missing or unfit? In my opinion, Youssef Safri and possibly WLY Paul & Leon - that''s it. Plymouth had their best player missing today as well. No amount of spin or dressing it up can disguise it - we''ve got a mediocre squad that will keep us in this Division for the foreseeable future.

We need a substantial change at the Club, from the Manager & Coaching Staff through to quite a few of the players (via the Scouts as well!). This set-up has become stale and it''s time to move on, if we want to progress; ambition - what''s that?     

Nail  on the head , thats exactly what we are a very average side , Worthington has bought average players , average players make an average team . The manager is well below average and should clear his desk and go , with his signings you have to worry about the future . Play offs ? not a hope in hell .

"We need a substantial change at the Club, from the Manager & Coaching Staff through to quite a few of the players (via the Scouts as well!). This set-up has become stale and it''s time to move on, if we want to progress; ambition - what''s that? "   

Why stop there ? Why not sack the whole board ? Kick Delia out , sell the club and start supporting Manchester United . People keep talking about the "team we''ve got" and how we should be too good for this division, well guess who built it ?

I dont deel that we should be running away with this league as we clearly have a lot of poor players with a few very good ones. I do feel that this is the weakest the championship has been for years. Reading are winning every game and they were average at Carrow Road. They are well organised yes but not a good team.

I would love to get excited at the thought of a new signing but I now dread seeing them play. I know they will be hard working but clearly average, as that is our managers style. I thought that Preston looked a good side and how exciting were there young full backs going forward. We need a manager that will bring in these bargain basement talented players. Worthington does not do this. The Only really succesful buys he has made are Hucks, Ashton, Safri within the current team. They were all established before then anyway. He is clearly bad at spotting talent. I would settle for finishing Mid-Table to get rid of him rather than him spending all the money that may come this month and not making it anyway. If he was to waste another 10 Million then we would be in serious trouble. I feel that is why the board will not give him the money if it does come, they wont trust him to spend it wisely.

Happy New Year! 

[quote user="Tom ives"]

"We need a substantial change at the Club, from the Manager & Coaching Staff through to quite a few of the players (via the Scouts as well!). This set-up has become stale and it''s time to move on, if we want to progress; ambition - what''s that? "   

Why stop there ? Why not sack the whole board ? Kick Delia out , sell the club and start supporting Manchester United . People keep talking about the "team we''ve got" and how we should be too good for this division, well guess who built it ?

[/quote]

well exactly tom, worthy built it and its rubbish. ANd he is the most financiallyu backed manager in our history. I worry if delia finances yet another central midfielder for the club.... when everyone is fit half these guys are never going to get a game

Always a mistake that Tom. Introducing rational thought or dissecting the contradictory old tosh that passes for argument amongst the ragbag of anti Worthington posters on here.

Point out the flaws and holes in their infantile rants and you''ll be labelled as part of the Keep the Faith brigade.

No explanation as to why the three teams who came down in 2004 are not walking away with the league - or the other two who came down with us come to that. Just the usual, tedious ''it''s all worthy''s fault'' stuff.

I''ve two who sit near me. Determined they are not going to renew their season tickets after what Worthy has done. Haven''t the heart (or can''t be arzed) to point out that it was Worthy that brought them there in the first place, They''ve been coming since around the time Crouch, Huckerby and Harper joined us.

Rather like watching the tide come in and out being a City fan. Some of it gets to stay but most just gets washed back out with the tide.

I don''t agree we are an average side.  with a full strength side and playing 4-4-2 I think were capable of top 3 performances. However, with the current squad and team tactics we were always going to look average against plymouth, who have improved under pulis. on tv jan 2nd, they gave leeds a good run for their money, before leeds quality eventually came good.  leeds looked the better side and put plymouth penalty area under sustained pressure 2nd half, did we?with yesterdays line up and formation i feared a defeat - (jj can''t play safs centre role as well & dicko less effective on right side) we played average first half, a defensive 4-3-3 formation was intended to catch plymouth on the break like we did at leicester & s.utd - result no efforts on goal, some good passing moves in phases, but not threatening in final third. After a soft goal, plymouth had chances to score and possibly put the game beyond us.in the end, a draw was a good point for us.  to get in the playoffs, we need to win all our home games - starting  against  watford on  saturday.

The chief problem at Plymouth seemed to be motivating Huckerby - one of he "flair" players that the WO''s say Worthy hates - to do more than the minimum. IMO we rely too much on him, and he''s lost a lot of what he had 2 seasons ago. It reminds me of Iwan in the latter days. With Huckerby in the side but playing like he has done most of this season, we are indeed an average Championship side, because we only have 10 men. With our first eleven playing, and Huckerby playing like Huckerby can, we''re a top Championship side, but a little short of Premiership class. And that disappoints us because we now think of ourselves as a Premiership Club.

After 29 games and having lost more games than we have won and conceded more goals than we have scored you would have to say the term "Average" is rather generous

I feel that this is a very average post full of bland statements.

If you know who is going to be in play-offs in the middle of January don''t waste your time here get down the bookies and make some money.

No I don''t think Burley will get Southampton promoted, Rupert Lowe is why and if we had got him and he''d made the start at Norwich that he''s made at Southampton I''m sure the WO''s would soon turn into BO''s.

The board has given the manager money to spend.

If you''re not happy with the latest result then go down the pub and moan to your mates, this type of diatribe shouldn''t be available for the rest of the us reasonable people.

I was satisfied with a point yesterday. I think a lot of us think Norwich are much better than they really are. To be honest, the squad is an average championship side but we do have a chance for the play offs. Picking up points away from home is a good way to get there, especially against a battling side when we have a depleted squad.

Tom Ives - Put your teddy back in the pram. The point that I was making is that, sometimes, you need to start again. We''ve gone stale and Worthington''s ethos and approach are not going to change. It''s hardly rocket science.

OK here is why southampton are not doing very well since they were relegated, you can add to this list Henri Camara

Players out:

Kevin Phillips Aston Villa £ 1000000 29-06-2005

Jason Dodd Brighton Free 29-06-2005

Anders Svensson Elfsborg Free 29-06-2005

Jo Tessem Lyn Oslo Signed 29-06-2005

Alledine Yahia St Etienne Signed 29-06-2005

Peter Crouch Liverpool £ 7000000 20-07-2005

Paul Telfer Celtic £ 200000 22-07-2005

Mikael Nilsson Panathinaikos 01-08-2005

Olivier Bernard Rangers Signed 31-08-2005

Fabrice Fernandes Bolton Free 31-08-2005

Alan Blayney Doncaster £ 50000 05-01-2006

Antti Niemi Fulham Signed 10-01-2006

Palace have got it togetther and are doing very well at the moment - they may well give sheff utd a run for their money.

We are shocking anmd going to have 6 central midfielders on the books soon - including 1 decent one....

As for George Burley: lets see the 2 players he has shown an interest in

Inigo Idiakiz

John Halls

If only we would ever be linked to players of this quality............ he can recognise talent. halls will be a bargain and idiakiz is class. compare that to thedross worthy has signed and I think we can all see where are esteemed manager is getting it wrong.

Collectively we are an average side but individually player for player we have lots of talent. I think this shows just how important it is to have a team that plays well together. I''d say player for player we have more talent than when we got promoted but its not so balanced and as a unit doen''t play so well together!!

[quote user="Old Boy"]

The chief problem at Plymouth seemed to be motivating Huckerby - one of he "flair" players that the WO''s say Worthy hates - to do more than the minimum. IMO we rely too much on him, and he''s lost a lot of what he had 2 seasons ago. It reminds me of Iwan in the latter days. With Huckerby in the side but playing like he has done most of this season, we are indeed an average Championship side, because we only have 10 men. With our first eleven playing, and Huckerby playing like Huckerby can, we''re a top Championship side, but a little short of Premiership class. And that disappoints us because we now think of ourselves as a Premiership Club.

[/quote]disagree ob.  the main problem at plymouth was the 4-3-3 tactics and trying to play personnel out of position, especially in midfield. Hucks provided our main threat and scored a great goal - to say playing hucks in the side reduces us to 10 men is laughable.

Trivial point really but I was struck by Worthington''s remark that Plymouth was a difficult place to go to. Frankly I would have thought if we had any ambition for the play offs at all I would rate it as a place where we should be expecting a win but anyway thought I''d better check their home record. Turns out that be yesterday it was W4, D4, L4 so on that basis our point yesterday makes us exactly an ''average'' championship side.

I agree with Alex. I have thought for a while that we get LESS out of our team collectively than we should. Steve Coppell at the moment is getting MORE out of the Reading players collectively than as individuals. That to me is  a sign of a good manager. We consistently get less and as a result we struggle because while many of our players are good enough, when put together the lack of organisation, discipline and tactics mean we resemble a collection of individuals rather than a team.

When it goes right (I am thinking particularly of Southampton in Dec and the mini run we had in April) we can compete with and beat the best. But that happens only in isolated occurrences which indicates that it is an accident rather than premeditated planning or motivation by our manager.

We sit in mid table, we play average football and we have had average results. Looks like a cast iron case to me.

Yes, I agree, we are an average championship side. Just occasionally, when Huckerby has one of his best matches rather than one of his best moments, or when Ashton scores a goal out of nothing, the spirit lifts and we feel that there might be something special.Otherwise we are very average, and our midfield line, especially in its three-man form and without Safri, is probably below average. Robert Green recently has looked no better than many of the opposing goalkeepers. Perhaps Drury can lay a claim to be one of the best left backs, but the remainder of the defence do not seem to be outstanding. I have not mentioned McV. On his day, as recently, his skills light up the pitch but too often in the past her has been asleep.Recently especially, we have had some injuries which emphasise the smallness of the squad. We were lucky with injuries in the Championship year, but otherwise we have had serious injuries going back four or five years, - the present seems to be the norm.It may be that we shall be surprised when one or two of the midfield signings eventually becomes better than we have judged, and we rise up the table. At the moment I feel that our position in the table reflects our ability level, and without injection of more quality or consistency a top two position seems extremely unlikely now or in the future, and even a play-off place slightly doubtful.

mad Dan and Dicky (Squit) answer me one question.. just one..

taking the money thats been spent, the players that have been sold and the replacements... are you happy with the direction the club is going in and are we a better side then we were 12 months ago?

we are an average side, one that struggles to perform and one that scrapes lucky wins...

that 5 straight wins just that, Luck!.. we played poor against Burnley, Poor against Leicester, and only beat Southampton because ''Arry had departed back to the sailors and they were obviously reeling from it.

Compare a Francis to an Etuhu, a Helveg to a Colin, A thorne to a svensson, do you see how pitiful we really are?

Its ok saying "at full strength we can beat anyone" but how many teams are full strength through a season? none... we need the backup to come in and do a job... the back up we have is no better than the first team.. Old man Charlton, Brennan, Robinson.. these arent players for the future, these arent even players that could hold down a regular place in another side in the division.

10 million pounds is a lot of money to waste on a mid table championship side.. 10 million pounds should of been spent on a premiership side.... we arent that...

Watch Worthy ~P!ss away even more money whilst he says on the radio "hopefully things will come right" and the board continue to love nigel and crticise the fans for their views.... soon it will be too late to even mount a playoff push,... for me thats failure, and failure should be greeted with the sack in a results driven business... as it is in other walks of life

jas :)

Jas, when presented with the truth (i.e. as I''ve posted before I am not Dicky) an intelligent person would recognise it, this is a lesson you must learn.

Having read your hilarious post re what might have been and Norwich dominating Europe I understand that you''re not getting the team you want.

I believe that we are capable of the play-offs and therefore capable of promotion.