Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Quote from reading fan!! lol

"The main weakness of the team is the midfield. Getting rid of Hughes was a step in the right direction."

"Murty backs Hughes to overcome boo-boys Reading full back Greame Murty has backed his team mate Andy Hughes to prove the boo boys wrong "

"On Tuesday Coppell was berating fans for greeting Andy Hughes'' substitution with ironic cheers, but tonight the Royals boss thanked the Reading faithful for getting behind the midfielder."

"Four days ago Andy Hughes left the field at the Madejski Stadium and was greeted by a barrage of abuse for the second time in two games."

"and leaves on the likes of Hughes (lots of effort, including his goal, but AWFUL passing again)"

"midfield was almost non-existent with Hughes running into people but, apart from the goal, he did not make any real contribution."

I Love this one

"What "Golden boy" Hughes has to do to get dropped is a mystery as well. He may have scored, but made no tackles and completed no passes all night. " - get the impression he may have that tag here!!!

And:

"Even when Andy Hughes uncharacteristically did something right and scored it "

And

"please somebody explain why Andy Hughes is in the starting line-up? Yeah, he scored a goal, but so he bloody well should have done. He is a liability and an acute embarrasment"

"Did I really read once that Alan Pardew said that Premier League Clubs were interested in Hughes?   Utterly hilarious!!

"it said in the evening post that its £500,000 plus another £100,000 if they get promoted, great business by reading, and zophar im a season ticket holder so have seen him play, all in all he is s##t, simple really, but were all aloud our own opinion and i respect yours."

"i am quite happy by this, i for one think he is useless, ok he gives 100% but if you havent got the talent giving 100% is nothing, i cant beleive norwich want him to be fair, as one of the pre season favorites to go up they should be looking at someone much much better, like u said he cant cross, cant run with the ball, cant pass.... pffft cashing in is the best for reading and convey might get a chance now."

"unlucky norwich is all ill say"

BUT there is some hope:

"A common target for abuse from some elements of the Reading fanbase is Andy Hughes - his performance did the talking today. With Shorey out injured for the rest of the season and loan signing Gordon unavailable for selection it was Hughes that stepped into the left back position and played a blinder."

"Hughes always gives 100%, and will run his heart out for the club - He is also the sort of player you want when things aren''t going well - His spirit at the club was never anything short of exemplary
And he makes a good LB when Shorey is out
There are his positives, now the negatives.

He can''t cross, he can''t play the ball any further than 20 yards without mucking up, and his heading is pretty poor.
And he''s not versatile, he''s just a bit better than average in every area, and with Reading''s weak squad, thats useful sometimes.
I don''t see Why Norwich want him, to be honest."

"he''ll never give up."

Agree Paul, I''ve unfortunately read similar things. About a year ago there was a thread on a general soccer forum listing your worst players. Hughes'' name appeared for Reading, and this was 2 weeks before we signed him.

What worries me is that he is now saying Watford is the biggest game of the season. Remember the score when he last came out with a similar comment.......

[quote user="A load of squit"]

How about a quote from Steve Coppell ''We don''t want to sell Andy Hughes''.

Or do you want to ignore his views as you don''t agree with them?

[/quote]

That got his price up didnt it!!!!

I think Stevie is missing him now tho it has to be said.  Missing him as much as we did whilst he was injured!!!!!!

Iposted a similar set of quotes when he was first signed and the opinion on the royals chat site appeard to be split 80/20 in favour of ''good riddance'' - my fav quote being he would never trap a sand bag.  He did have his fans but they were heavily outnumbered and eventhe fans thought £600k for too much for him.

If people tell you he is rubbish and he looks like rubbish then he is rubbish...  and coppells comments were made in the context of trying to raise the transfer fee.

Hughes is exemplary with is professionalism, attitude and effort - he is just not quite good enough with a football at his feet.  

[quote user="Robbo007"]

Agree Paul, I''ve unfortunately read similar things. About a year ago there was a thread on a general soccer forum listing your worst players. Hughes'' name appeared for Reading, and this was 2 weeks before we signed him.

What worries me is that he is now saying Watford is the biggest game of the season. Remember the score when he last came out with a similar comment.......

[/quote]This proves conclusively worthy doesn''t read supporters meesage boards!

this thread makes me ashamed to be a Norwich fan.

you no what, i didnt want to post it..... but to be honest if this is ther level of player our manager thinks will help us get promoted then god help us.......

i was just as hopeful of good signings as the next man having got develd, de waard, walsh, cottee out of my system.. now worthy wants to add his own versions... at least hughes gives a damn

I am sick to death of threads like this - both from the point of having a go at Worthy and from the point of having a go at Hughes.

According to the stats on the clubs website Hughes started 159 games for Reading in the last 4 seasons.  With my great maths that is 40 a season. 

Granted he has had a poor start to his Norwich career but whatever the Reading fans may say their managers thought he deserved to be in their starting 11 every time he was available for 4 whole seasons.

If you can slate Worthy for finding a Holt replacement aged 27 with a recent appearance history in a top half championship side for £500k then you will never be happy. 

Holt cost us £100k - you don''t get that lucky every day.

But then again Huckerby and Mattias Jonson both cost £750k.

At least everybody has found their scapegoat for the season - I was still under the impression that it was all Fleming''s fault.

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]Quotes from reading fans - sorry[/quote]

I thought that was what you are Paul!

(Sorry - cheap shot. But you see what I mean:  we all know Reading are a good side under a good manager, with good money behind them - we can see that by looking at the league table, we don''t need constant reminders. I''m not surprised you were mistaken for a Reading fan by Robbo007. If you''re not embarrassed, you should be)

And I remember exactly this sort of nonsense when, or even before, Doherty arrived - "Spurs fans can''t believe we''ve paid money for their worst-ever player". Anyone out there admit to doing that?

[quote user="Old Boy"]

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]Quotes from reading fans - sorry[/quote]

I thought that was what you are Paul!

(Sorry - cheap shot. But you see what I mean:  we all know Reading are a good side under a good manager, with good money behind them - we can see that by looking at the league table, we don''t need constant reminders. I''m not surprised you were mistaken for a Reading fan by Robbo007. If you''re not embarrassed, you should be)

And I remember exactly this sort of nonsense when, or even before, Doherty arrived - "Spurs fans can''t believe we''ve paid money for their worst-ever player". Anyone out there admit to doing that?

[/quote]

In the end 1 million quid for a Championship top quality center half aint bad. And no they couldnt beleive they made a profit on him. Yes he looks a better player now he has got fit and a regular place, he has been my player of the season so far. I still beleive he would be found out in the premiership, he is slow, and he is always pulling players down, but you can do that in the championship. 

As it was his performances in the premiership -  on his wrong side as we now no, were not great, which is probably why spurs fans couldnt beleive their luck.  Maybe he has found his level, maybe he will prove himself in the premiership...  lets hope he gets a chance to at norwich