Sign in to follow this  
Temp the Revelator

Let's focus on other targets

now that it has become clear just how far the board are prepared to go to offer us our dream, and that Huckerby, after everything, is just another greedy player, let''s turn our attention to other potential signings. I''ll start the ball rolling.......

David Unsworth - out of contract at Everton in the summer, and has just turned down a new one
Nick Barmby - not unlike Huckerby, is currently rotting in a Premiership team''s reserves
Chris Marsden - has just been told he won''t be getting a new contract at Southampton

any comments?

We''ve got the equal best defence in the league, we''ve just kept a clean sheet, away, at the division''s top scorers, we have a shiny new strikeforce and some midfielders that are the envy of many. It''s going to take some seriously good players to improve the team. That''s not to say we can''t improve it but it will be hard to find someone who will actually displace someone already in the team. Barmby maybe but where would you put him? Perhaps on the right. Or instead of Holt or Mulryne when they''re having an off day but we''ve got Francis too and i''d like to see a Francis/Mulryne pairing given a go. Great tho he often is, GH''s performances have been a bit on off and i''d like to see him given a rest. The guy''s body must be under more strain than anyone given the way he plays.
Huckerby was just the ticket as he gave us something different. Are there any players like him available, with pace and who can run at defenders?
Defence is a difficult one ''cos there is so much value in having a settled defence that play as a unit, making it difficult to split them up. But certainly Unsworth could be nice to have in for Malky if he becomes any more accident prone or gets sent off again! Perfromance at Ipswich suggests he still has what it takes. And lets not forget Shakell. But it''s true that a couple of injuries in defence could see us in trouble so yes, i''m warming to the idea of Unsworth. Good in the air at corners too.

Not sure about those people mentioned, believe Unworth had a problem when he had a short term at West Ham (homesick?), Barmby has flatterred to deceive over the last few years and is unlikely to do a "Merson". Marsden though is good, I would be very surprised if Soton let him go, just the right attitude and character for a team going into the Premiership!