Sign in to follow this  
Harry53

Playing offside

Grant had a good game today BUT 121 with Abrahams and Mount when they scored he played them onside.

That is something we ought to address.

Watching, again at the game, and Grant again was guilty of himself being offside had Emi power shot gone in. 

He really needs to play smarter and let players run in an offside position, and reversally, stay onside when attacking. 

2nd and 3rd goals could, and should have been offside 

If he's not quick enough, which some people have pointed out, it's very risky to try to play offside, if the flag stays down, he's toast. 

Strangely we had 3 other defenders and entire midfield to stop them from scoring, but heyhoe we must have a scape-goat.

To be honest after i rewatched the match on youtube and slowed it down, Abraham looked offside for their third goal. If var can disallow sterling for having the tiniest bit of shoulder offside then why did they barely look at abraham?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, splendidrush said:

If he's not quick enough, which some people have pointed out, it's very risky to try to play offside, if the flag stays down, he's toast. 

For the third, I think he’s definitely worried about being done for pace. Also, the rest of the team drop off - it’s very hard for the defence to hold a line when our midfielders are back pedalling and allowing players to come at you. If the midfield press the ball player, perhaps the defence is more willing to step up. But when the opposition midfield has time and space to pick a pass whenever they want, it’s very hard - and risky - to try and hold a high line.

36 minutes ago, Aggy said:

For the third, I think he’s definitely worried about being done for pace. Also, the rest of the team drop off - it’s very hard for the defence to hold a line when our midfielders are back pedalling and allowing players to come at you. If the midfield press the ball player, perhaps the defence is more willing to step up. But when the opposition midfield has time and space to pick a pass whenever they want, it’s very hard - and risky - to try and hold a high line.

Ah, but according to some it's all Hanley's fault. 

Hanley didn't do particularly well for the third goal: he played Abrahams onside by the tiniest of margins before being outmanoevred. However, he was left exposed by the rest of the defensive unit. Also the spead and accuracy of Chelsea's passing and movement were exceptional. Krul probably should have saved it anyway, it was right in the middle of the goal.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

To be honest after i rewatched the match on youtube and slowed it down, Abraham looked offside for their third goal. If var can disallow sterling for having the tiniest bit of shoulder offside then why did they barely look at abraham?

I thought this too, how did Andre Marriner in VAR miss it ?