Sign in to follow this  
Jobsworth Canary

Leader of the Ultra’s

Atmosphere was terrific at the start of the game but after the 3rd goal the Barclay went quiet 

what works really well abroad is that they have a leader of the ultras who coordinates what to sing and when along with other things as well!

if we had someone doing that coordination role then we would have a better atmosphere at the Carra.

the atmosphere at the start was magnificent we just need to keep it going for the 90 minutes 

I tend to agree that a degree of co-ordination helps. From my spot near the back of the South Stand very close to the River End I get quite a good perspective of overall noise from The Barclay and the Snakepit, both separately and together, as well as around the ground in general. Clearly, as we all know, the atmosphere has improved beyond belief in recent months. However I’ve often noticed how songs/chants loose some effectiveness when they are not synchronised, starting in one area then being picked up halfway through. Although the general noise level is there it is less effective. There were a couple of times during the Newcastle game when I did notice OTBC being sung late in the game very much in unison. There was clear ‘silence’ between the lines which is not normally noticeable although this was maybe more luck than judgement with no planned linkup in place.

Unfortunately many of these Ultra leaders are found in the continental style stadiums where they can find a prominent standing spot at the front, often on a purpose built podium type thing. Not really practical at the front of the Barclay, what with people moaning they can’t see or Health & Safety issues in the UK.

7 hours ago, minestrone said:

Unfortunately many of these Ultra leaders are found in the continental style stadiums where they can find a prominent standing spot at the front, often on a purpose built podium type thing.

I don't like this idea, singing should be spontaneous, if I want to join a choir, I'll go to church.