Sign in to follow this  
Ramrod

Play Godfrey as a Sweeper

When we get another CB in the side Ben Godfrey needs to replace one of the DM's as a sweeper in a 5 - 3 - 1 formation. 

He is certainly good enough and we just look too powder-puff in that area. 

This is how I would go against Man City. 

I suspect though, DF will keep his system no matter what. But we cannot continue shipping goals at this rate. 

It's been discussed many a time on this forum and the general conclusion is that Godfrey won't/shouldn't be moved. After all, he has been by far our best defender in these opening three games, so why on earth would you move him?

On today's evidence, the main problem is that the defence needs more protection. Whether that means a tactical tweak or Amadou coming in is a decision that Farke needs to make.

• Like 2

We were playing 3 centre backs 2 seasons ago. Could be worth another go because of the attacking nature of our full backs and lack of natural wingers. 

Godfrey reminds me of Vincent Company. Probably totally wrong to compare him to anyone, but he is more powerful than Rio Ferdinand and loves to get forwards at least once a game - and every time he does he causes problems for the opposition.  He was excellent again yesterday and nearly single handedly got us back in it with his determination and spirit.

• Like 2

When he makes runs like the one he did yesterday, you can see why people think he should be in a dm type role where he can do that more often.

I do (still) think he might well have made a better midfielder than centre half. But... you can’t move him now. He’s taken to the prem well, he still needs to learn (and still gets caught out positionally/following the ball a bit) but it would be crazy to move him out of cb now. 

If Amadou comes in at DM, I wouldn’t be surprised if Godfrey is given slightly more licence to come out of defence, as Amadou can drop back in and cover the gap.