Krul 6.5: Made some decent stops to keep us in the game, especially the Christensen header and the Emerson shot. Couldn't do anything about the first two goals but maybe could've reacted quicker to third, although he was unsighted.

Aarons 5.5: Didn't make any obvious errors, but was often in difficulty. Didn't really offer anything going forward today either but that was because the whole team were being pinned back.

Hanley 5.5: Suffered as much as the rest against Chelsea's quality. You could argue that the second and third goals came from 'his area' again, but it's unfair to pin the blame on him for them. 

Godfrey 6.5: Best defender again. Made some blocks, comfortable in possession and threatened in attack with that driving run and the header that hit the bar.

Lewis 5.5: Was one of many who struggled to contain the Chelsea attack. Tried to contribute going forward but nothing really came off for him.

Trybull 5.5: Worked hard as he always does, but the ease in which Chelsea cut through the midfield was a cause for concern. Obviously that wasn't all Trybull's fault, but ultimately his job to limit those attacks.

Leitner 6.0: Used the ball well and helped support the more attacking players, but was unable to exert any control on the game after the first 15 minutes.

Buendia 6.0: Looked the most likely to create and played a good ball for Pukki's goal. Made a few other decent passes but couldn't find another telling through ball in the second half.

Stiepermann 5.0: He grafted and put some work in defensively, but didn't do enough with the ball today. Looked clumsy in possession at times.

Cantwell 6.5: Scored a goal and looked lively early on, but faded as the game went on. 

Pukki 7.5: Didn't see much of the ball in the area today but still managed an assist and a goal. Didn't really get the service today so wasn't able to get in the game.

Subs: N/A. None of them had enough time to seriously affect the game.

11 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Krul 6.5: Made some decent stops to keep us in the game, especially the Christensen header and the Emerson shot. Couldn't do anything about the first two goals but maybe could've reacted quicker to third, although he was unsighted.

Aarons 5.5: Didn't make any obvious errors, but was often in difficulty. Didn't really offer anything going forward today either but that was because the whole team were being pinned back.

Hanley 5.5: Suffered as much as the rest against Chelsea's quality. You could argue that the second and third goals came from 'his area' again, but it's unfair to pin the blame on him for them. 

Godfrey 6.5: Best defender again. Made some blocks, comfortable in possession and threatened in attack with that driving run and the header that hit the bar.

Lewis 5.5: Was one of many who struggled to contain the Chelsea attack. Tried to contribute going forward but nothing really came off for him.

Trybull 5.5: Worked hard as he always does, but the ease in which Chelsea cut through the midfield was a cause for concern. Obviously that wasn't all Trybull's fault, but ultimately his job to limit those attacks.

Leitner 6.0: Used the ball well and helped support the more attacking players, but was unable to exert any control on the game after the first 15 minutes.

Buendia 6.0: Looked the most likely to create and played a good ball for Pukki's goal. Made a few other decent passes but couldn't find another telling through ball in the second half.

Stiepermann 5.0: He grafted and put some work in defensively, but didn't do enough with the ball today. Looked clumsy in possession at times.

Cantwell 6.5: Scored a goal and looked lively early on, but faded as the game went on. 

Pukki 7.5: Didn't see much of the ball in the area today but still managed an assist and a goal. Didn't really get the service today so wasn't able to get in the game.

Yeah, not bad ratings. Thought Godfrey was MOTM and without him the score would have been worse. Beaten by a better team but not disgraced. 95% of fans know Grant H is slow and is turned more easily than Ben G. Stiepermann was also slowish. This is not scapegoating it's just a matter of what you see week in week out.

A few other more average performances than the Newcastle game.

But, all in all we will beat a few teams yet, especially those around us in the table.

• Like 2

Not to scapegoat, as I was not surprised that the quality of Chelsea’s players would be the deciding factor if both teams played up to their capabilities, but Hanley and (lack of Hernandez) were NCFC’s “weakest links” for me today. 

A bit annoying that from a situation where we could have taken the lead through Pukki after we absorbed so much pressure in 2nd half, that we concede immediately from the counter attack. 

Still a decent performance against a top 6 team,  on to West Ham ... OTBC. 

Edited by Surfer

38 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Still a decent performance against a top 6 team,  on to West Ham ... OTBC. 

Doubt they'll be top six this season to be honest. But for a couple of moments of dumb defending and a shocking ref we would have won without playing anything like as well as last week. 

Hanley needs dropping. 

Sorry but Godfrey only a point above a dodgy Hanley are you kidding?

everything about right but 5 for Hanley and 7 for young Godfrey.

As above thought Steipermann was pretty poor today, his flicks and tricks never really worked and he looked very slow round the park.

But it’s Chelsea it’s a top 6 side and we gave them a game, good to watch and a great advert to promoted sides able to play proper football and not just park the bus.

Didn’t see the game today. Sounded a good game. Good thing is you have a tough start fixture wise and you haven’t looked out of place at all. Apart from the silly mistakes at analfield. Interested about this Godfrey lad your talking about I’ll keep an eye out for him. 

Thought today that Chelsea looked a far more all round attacking unit than usual and on reflection we did well to contain them to a narrow victory. After a superb first half of football we did not seem to obtain any midfield control after the interval and struggled to play anywhere near our normal game. We were obviously against a number of very expensive players and the stifling heat did not help. We really have no right to criticize the boss but with the midfield tiring, apart from Cantwell, and both Steipermann and Buendia off their game, I could not understand why at least Vrancic was not brought on earlier. We desperately need Zimmermann back, particularly because of his determination and leadership skills.

6 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Jesus your ratings are quite harsh imo

Actually I pretty much completely agree with your ratings this week, except for Godrey who should probably be on a 7/7.5 given how many vital blocks, interceptions he made.

I thought we were a lot sloppier this weekend than we were against both Liverpool and Newcastle; the first 15 minutes aside where we looked good and sharp, from then on, we made an alarming amount of unforced errors even in pressure-free situations, something I have not been familiar with when watching us in recent times. I think there must've been at least 10 occasions where this happened (Lewis, Aarons, Leitner, Steipermann and Buendia probably the most guilty players of this).

Our second equaliser was a massive lifeline and it felt like it came from nowhere after sustained periods of Chelsea possession. However, we did not capitalise and soon again lost the momentum and reverted to type. I have to say the result had a massive feeling of inevitability about it, especially in the second half where we struggled to get any kind of foothold in the game, that said I did think Chelsea were and expect them to do better than many are predicting this season.

A lot of fans have been saying we were unlucky to lose but I really didn't see it like that this time round unfortunately and I would probably give our overall performance a 5.5 / 10 maybe. The good thing is, we managed to stay well in the game despite being off our usual pace and we could've came away with a draw had Godfrey's header crept in (although I have a feeling that wouldn't have been the last of the goals...). Had we maintained the level we started at (as we did in the first two fixtures), I think we would've been good for a draw or even a win but sadly it was not our day.

I am looking forward to Saturday in what will be a good test for how successful this team may be this season - the Newcastle win is already looking a bit more respectable!

10 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Had we maintained the level we started at (as we did in the first two fixtures), I think we would've been good for a draw or even a win but sadly it was not our day.

Had we maintained the level we started at we would have several in hospital recovering from exhaustion. 

I agree with several other posters about Ben Godfrey. He is a future England player, possibly even Captain. He has had to take on quite a lot of responsibility with the injuries we have at the moment and he has sailed though it. An extraordinary player 

• Like 2

Godfrey has been dropped in at the deep end alright,  from his senior debut last season  he has become a ' first name on the teamsheet  guy'. Seems to  rise to every challenge  put in front of him. I have no doubt he is being watched by  the top clubs, a young centre half performing  well in a team that by its style of play leaves the defence exposed at times to some of the best attackers around,  will not go  unnoticed.  This particular  player highlights the wisdom of getting our young lads on long term contracts  during the  summer. 

I don't think Krul merits a 6.5. I took a lot of flak last season for suggesting that hewouldn't be able to make the step up to the PL and that many of the goals we conceded last year were savable by a better keeper.

Having now watched the season DVD and seen our games so far this season, I haven't changed my mind.

He makes the occasional great save (Brentford, Wigan for instance) but on many, many more occasions he lets in shots he should save. He made a great reaction save from Emerson on Saturday, but should have done much better for Chelsea's third.

Equally, Kepa should have saved Pukki's shot so I'm not suggesting that Krul's errors are that unusual for goalkeepers, just that he isn't consistently good enough for a first choice PL goalkeeper. He has very good hands, but his positioning does not make up for his lack of agility and speed.

Last year, he was definitely the best we had and his impact on our young defenders was obviously positive. This year, I don't think he is the best we have anymore and as our youngsters get more and more used to the PL I fear that his impact will diminish rapidly - and I suspect he will become the least able performer in that back five once Zimmermann or Klose return.

Everyone says there is no sentiment in football so it will be interesting to see if there is any truth in the Butland rumour, or how long it will take for Fahrmann to become the number one once he is fully acclimatised and part of the culture.

20 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I don't think Krul merits a 6.5. I took a lot of flak last season for suggesting that hewouldn't be able to make the step up to the PL and that many of the goals we conceded last year were savable by a better keeper.

I think you'll find you're in a minority now. Krul has started the season well. There's a reason Fahrmann hasn't been able to get in yet.