Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Zimbo back in Training!

Everything seems to have changed. What happened to “it’s Hanleys shirt to lose if he keeps performing?” That’s what this discussion has always been about. The sooner Zimmerman is back in the better our chances. That’s me out of this now as it’s like watching that tv channel Dave!

Edited by JF

1 hour ago, Indy said:

No Hanley as captain and big lump should have picked up Van ****, not left it to Lewis, I’m sure they were told their assignments and he got that one wrong. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s on of the points discussed at half time!

Thing is Hanley only rated a 4 I believe in most polls, for his Liverpool performance so had to improve against Newcastle at home!

i hope he continues to improve and has a MOM performance Saturday, would be great to get something against Chelsea, long term Zimmermann & Godfrey will only continue to improve as a pairing.

Whilst I strongly believe Hanley is the weak link in the team at the moment and should be dropped as soon as either of the other two are remotely close to being fit. The corner goal was in no way Hanleys fault. If it's anyone's fault it's the coaching team for telling Lewis to mark him. It's not like Sunday league where you decide who you're going to mark at each set piece, they will have been drilled exactly where to stand and who to pick up. 

In conclusion. I think Hanley isn't good enough to play first team games in the Premier League, but, it is wildly unfair to blame him for that goal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Apart from being at fault for the Newcastle goal and almost allowing Joelinton to score a head at 0-0.

Let me rephrase this. Good game for Hanleys standard especially after Liverpool lol. Would be much more comfortable with Klose or Zim back in.

JF - I am not interested in being right or wrong, I am interested in getting to the truth of the matter.  I do accept that he may make changes, but I think it unlikely simply because of what I see as the fairly simple but effective man management regime - success for the team is more important than the individual - and that doesn't mean dropping players after a fantastic team performance. He didn't do it last season for many weeks, despite Klose, Leitner and Vrancic being ready....because the team were performing well.....and by any stretch of the imagination the team performed well last Saturday.

Edited by lake district canary

2 hours ago, JF said:

Everything seems to have changed. What happened to “it’s Hanleys shirt to lose if he keeps performing?” That’s what this discussion has always been about. The sooner Zimmerman is back in the better our chances. That’s me out of this now as it’s like watching that tv channel Dave!

Is  ‘Hanley to be dropped’ the new ‘we need a defensive midfielder’?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

JF - I am not interested in being right or wrong, I am interested in getting to the truth of the matter.  I do accept that he may make changes, but I think it unlikely simply because of what I see as the fairly simple but effective man management regime - success for the team is more important than the individual - and that doesn't mean dropping players after a fantastic team performance. He didn't do it last season for many weeks, despite Klose, Leitner and Vrancic being ready....because the team were performing well.....and by any stretch of the imagination the team performed well last Saturday.

I agree with that. But the difference last season was that all 11 starting players made themselves un droppable. We won Saturday but the same can’t be said of Hanley. Even in Michael Baileys the athletic q&a he said if Klose  were fit enough this Saturday he thinks Farke would be tempted to bring him in. As it stands he’s not fit enough to start. There is a massive difference between what we saw last season on that however many games unbeaten streak where every player was performing and the two games this season where Hanley has stood in but cost us goals against in each match. 

As for WD-40 post it’s not dropping a player if he  is only there to cover a injured players position is it. The position is Zimmerman’s and I would imagine Hanley knows that

2 hours ago, JF said:
10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I agree with that. But the difference last season was that all 11 starting players made themselves un droppable. We won Saturday but the same can’t be said of Hanley. Even in Michael Baileys the athletic q&a he said if Klose  were fit enough this Saturday he thinks Farke would be tempted to bring him in. As it stands he’s not fit enough to start. There is a massive difference between what we saw last season on that however many games unbeaten streak where every player was performing and the two games this season where Hanley has stood in but cost us goals against in each match. 

As for WD-40 post it’s not dropping a player if he  is only there to cover a injured players position is it. The position is Zimmerman’s and I would imagine Hanley knows that 

We'll find out soon enough.

😎

OTBC

• Like 1

It is laughable and depressing how a section of our support seems intent on latching on to the mistakes of one player just to fit their agenda. Leitner (who had a superb game) gave the ball away which led to the great chance which Krafth blazed over the from six yards. Lewis (who had a superb game) put in a poor defensive header and then failed to stop the cross which led to JoeLinton's missed header. Nobody on this board has mentioned either of these mistakes - but since Hanley is this week's scapegoat there's been plenty of people highlighting his mistakes. (And Hanley had a very good game). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WD40 said:

Is  ‘Hanley to be dropped’ the new ‘we need a defensive midfielder’?

What on earth will we find to talk about once (if) he is replaced by Timm or Zim?

24 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

What on earth will we find to talk about once (if) he is replaced by Timm or Zim?

Buendia hasn't been up to his normal high standards yet.

He'll be next.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Buendia hasn't been up to his normal high standards yet.

He'll be next.

Nah, Buendia is one of those players who are fans find no problem with regardless. Stieps for me.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It is laughable and depressing how a section of our support seems intent on latching on to the mistakes of one player just to fit their agenda. Leitner (who had a superb game) gave the ball away which led to the great chance which Krafth blazed over the from six yards. Lewis (who had a superb game) put in a poor defensive header and then failed to stop the cross which led to JoeLinton's missed header. Nobody on this board has mentioned either of these mistakes - but since Hanley is this week's scapegoat there's been plenty of people highlighting his mistakes. (And Hanley had a very good game). 

I genuinely don't think Hanley is good enough. I hope I'm wrong. If he players every game, I'll support him and hope he does well, I just don't think he will. That is not an agenda.

The only agenda that I would suggest most people on here have is hoping that we do as well as we possibly can in every game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

And there it is again. Absolute bull **** about scapegoating when all that is happening is a discussion about football on a football discussion forum....

9 minutes ago, JF said:

And there it is again. Absolute bull **** about scapegoating when all that is happening is a discussion about football on a football discussion forum....

You really don't get it do you JF?? It's the lack of balance that I find annoying. Hanley's mistakes are being highlighted - mistakes by others aren't. Why is that do you think?

13 minutes ago, JF said:

Yep, classic modern polarisation , criticism of any form is a sin now, before  i even mentioned any doubts about Hanley i qualified my opinions by stating that if he plays, i'll support him as i would all our players, but mention any shortcomings in a players ability and the holier than thou brigade are out to try to shut the discussion down,  Often without really taking in the context in which said criticism is made. I then had to deal with LDC trying to convince me that DF works in a certain way and that's the law, only to find later once he had talked himself out onto a limb of certainty that he has reconsidered and maybe, just maybe DF is not quite so inflexible....something any reasonable person would surmise without too much difficulty.

But hey ho , such is the nature of internet 'discussion' nowadays, despite most reasonable people being able to see GH was the poorest performer in an otherwise decent performance against a poor Newcastle side.

Perspective. Perspective .Perspective.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You really don't get it do you JF?? It's the lack of balance that I find annoying. Hanley's mistakes are being highlighted - mistakes by others aren't. Why is that do you think?

It might be because Hanley doesn't bring much else to his game other than pure defending. Players like Jamal & Max have a much greater all round impact, so when Grant's defending is poor there's nothing left to be positive about.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Because all people are doing is discussing the potential team selection when everyone is fit. Aaron’s and Lewis are very clearly first choice in their positions so there isn’t anything there to discuss.The discussion on weather Hanley should retain his place when Zimmerman is fit is a perfectly valid discussion.if you can’t handle that without throwing this crap about scapegoating around then maybe a football discussions forum isn’t the place for you?

7 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Most would agree, despite others mistakes, GH was our poorest performer last week, that's why. Its really not that difficult to grasp.

Oh, and the subject would have been finished long ago had not the 'Scapegoat Snowflakes' been so offended by our discussion, nothing more, nothing less. 

Farke will always put out a team to win the game. Where possible I believe he will try and start with the same 11 unless there are injury doubts, or he feels he might need to change the formation against a specific opponent. I fully expect to see the same starting line up for Chelsea as they all played their part in the win against Newcastle.

It is great news that he has Klose and Zimmermann coming back from injury, but that shouldn't mean he drops Hanley. You could argue that Buendia hasn't had the best of starts, but on his day he is a match winner.  We have a much stronger squad this season and every member of that squad, if fit, would like to start the game. As a group they all supported each other last season, especially those players not in the matchday squad. I believe this will also be the case this season.

• Like 1

And here they come! How dare you discuss any weakness in our team, it’s scapegoating crowed! No negative to be discussed, Hanley is as good as any player I’ve ever seen in a City shirt, he’s a fantastic player and deserves his place. He holds that defence together and even though he only rated a 4 & 6 in his last two games they weren’t watching the same game......he’s our Van ****.

12 minutes ago, hampton canary said:

Farke will always put out a team to win the game. Where possible I believe he will try and start with the same 11 unless there are injury doubts, or he feels he might need to change the formation against a specific opponent. I fully expect to see the same starting line up for Chelsea as they all played their part in the win against Newcastle.

It is great news that he has Klose and Zimmermann coming back from injury, but that shouldn't mean he drops Hanley. You could argue that Buendia hasn't had the best of starts, but on his day he is a match winner.  We have a much stronger squad this season and every member of that squad, if fit, would like to start the game. As a group they all supported each other last season, especially those players not in the matchday squad. I believe this will also be the case this season.

True, but not interesting, nothing to discuss there. Minor scapegoat points awarded for noticing Emi has not had his usual impact. Unsurprising,as after Teemu, Emi would almost certainly be one of the players discussed by the opposition  as to how to negate his threat. 

1 hour ago, JF said:

Because all people are doing is discussing the potential team selection when everyone is fit. Aaron’s and Lewis are very clearly first choice in their positions so there isn’t anything there to discuss.The discussion on weather Hanley should retain his place when Zimmerman is fit is a perfectly valid discussion.if you can’t handle that without throwing this crap about scapegoating around then maybe a football discussions forum isn’t the place for you?

Judging by the way you're hissy fitting and throwing your arms about like Alexis Sanchez in a camera pit maybe it's the case that a football discussion forum isn't the place for you? 😉

• Like 1
  • Confused 1