Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Thick As Mince..........

Always good entertainment value Holloway...

Unrelated, but at the bottom of that article is the headline Hudson-Odoi set to sign £52m contract with Chelsea. Two teenagers, one studying hard for their A-levels hoping to earn perhaps £30,000 a year ultimately, and then this guy. It's just insane isnt it?

• Like 1

The odd thing is that everyone knows/knew the rule change - a handball, either deliberate or accidental, in the build up to a goal means it is disallowed.  IMO it is actually rather sensible as you shouldn’t be able to ‘gain’ a goal from handball even if not deliberate. Simple.  It’s only because it was Man City that it’s even an issue...which it isn’t and shouldn’t be. 

And nothing to do with the EU, that is just bizarre.  

Edited by Branston Pickle

Incidentally, I remember Lineker scoring for spuds vs us when he ‘accidentally’ controlled it twice with his hands.  It’s grated on me a bit for over 20 years!

I read the thread title and thought this was about Big Vince who is known as Pig Mince on here.

• Like 1

I think the inconsistency is that Laporte "handled" the ball while his arms were in a natural position, not making his body unnaturally big etc.  If a defender was to have touched the ball in the same way in the same situation it wouldn't have been given as a penalty so it seems unfair that a striker is penalised in the same way.

• Like 1

Holloway plays on "zummezet" accent and thinks it makes him lovable. He normally talks a load of siht but puts that little act of mirth into it, the appealing "oim roit inneye".

He is currently not managing a football club.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BarclayWazza said:

I think the inconsistency is that Laporte "handled" the ball while his arms were in a natural position, not making his body unnaturally big etc.  If a defender was to have touched the ball in the same way in the same situation it wouldn't have been given as a penalty so it seems unfair that a striker is penalised in the same way.

I know what you mean but it's not quite the same situation. If the striker didn't score, the accidental handball wouldn't be given as a free kick to the defending team, they would just play on. So giving a penalty for an accidental hand-ball isn't really the same thing. This situation only arises if a goal is scored directly following a hand-ball.

Officials in the NFL are miked up to tell the spectators what the penalty is for and what the punishment is. If we are going down the road of technology and stopping the game, why not the ref explaining it. What would it take? Another 10 seconds?

8 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Officials in the NFL are miked up to tell the spectators what the penalty is for and what the punishment is. If we are going down the road of technology and stopping the game, why not the ref explaining it. What would it take? Another 10 seconds?

Not just the NFL - also in rugby and cricket (at least on the tv commentary). Especially now we’ve got a man in a box somewhere making the decision instead of just the ref running over to a tv, I don’t see why we can’t have them talking us through the decision.

23 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I've thought this for a while. Not only that, I think the refs would like the chance to explain their decisions, and also with microphone on, they'd probably get players abusing then far less as the everyone would hear what the players say.

Going one step further, a mandatory post-match interview for a ref giving them the chance to get their own back on managers after years of getting criticised would be great:

"So, Jose Mourinho has said your decision to award a penalty against his team was a disgrace, what do you think?"

"Well, I think Jose playing Rashford on the left with no freedom to get in the box and spending £50m on Fred who is useless is what cost them today. Maybe he should look closer to home."