Scottlarock

New ways to hassle the binners.

I share an office with two binners on our southern borders.

We've been slagging each other for years however just the other day I stumbled upon the most effective retort yet..

...they mentioned UEFA cup on Monday and that we will never achieve that...straight off the bat i said

....Uefa cup....!! I'd be more worried about never appearing on MOTD2

...was like an exocet 🙂

Hope it's actually true, from what i see it started in 2004 🙂

Incredibly, there are some people on here who don't 'get' the banter, apparently they're so far behind us that it's not worth bothering with. 

Don't understand that mindset,give 'em hell, that's what I say. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, splendidrush said:

Incredibly, there are some people on here who don't 'get' the banter, apparently they're so far behind us that it's not worth bothering with. 

Don't understand that mindset,give 'em hell, that's what I say. 

...they don't think they are actually that far behind 🙂 I can understand our fans being more comcerned with ourselves of course.....not when you live on the borders or indeed over them.

1 minute ago, Scottlarock said:

...they don't think they are actually that far behind 🙂 I can understand our fans being more comcerned with ourselves of course.....not when you live on the borders or indeed over them.

I live in Auckland, half a World away, still our rivals, always will be. We've got the upper hand, it would be churlish not to enjoy it. 

• Like 4

If you think their debt is huge....take a look at our income

No child in school will have ever seen Ipswich in the top flight

Our income ths season is likely to be more than 12 times theirs

Their EUFA cuo win is so far back it was 3 years before the halfpenny went out of circulation

• Like 2

Here's some perspective.

The year 1p5wich won the UEFA Cup is closer to the end of WWII than today...

Edited by Drazen Muzinic

47 minutes ago, Bill said:

If you think their debt is huge....take a look at our income

Our income ths season is likely to be more than 12 times theirs

Their EUFA cuo win is so far back it was 3 years before the halfpenny went out of circulation

And a lot of the ones who go on about the history weren’t even born when they had it 🤷🏻‍♂️

The UEFA Cup was always the second most important European club competition. The giants of the game considered winning it a consolation prize in an average season whereby even representation in the actual European Champions Cup was their real aim. Also many smaller clubs have won it in the past, ITFC being one of them.

Yet, in bin land winning it apparently made them 'champions of Europe' and a club with world re-known status to the extent that they constantly still go on about it to this day.

An achievement for sure, but come on! Who in the world of football either remembers or cares?

16 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

The UEFA Cup was always the second most important European club competition. The giants of the game considered winning it a consolation prize in an average season whereby even representation in the actual European Champions Cup was their real aim. Also many smaller clubs have won it in the past, ITFC being one of them.

Yet, in bin land winning it apparently made them 'champions of Europe' and a club with world re-known status to the extent that they constantly still go on about it to this day.

An achievement for sure, but come on! Who in the world of football either remembers or cares?

my memory isnt great but I thought there was only one european competion back in the day when they won it

17 minutes ago, city4eva said:

my memory isnt great but I thought there was only one european competion back in the day when they won it

eh

there was originally

the European Cup - title winners

the inter city fairs cup - nationals cup winners and assorted qualifications

that became the

UEFA cup in1971, for high place in the league

the latter is what the paupers won

seen as how the League Cup was when we won it in 1962

2 hours ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Here's some perspective.

The year 1p5wich won the UEFA Cup is closer to the end of WWII than today...

You could still buy one of these....new:classic_ohmy:

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 16.11.01.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Had me looking, but Liverpool won the Champions League Final in 1980-81, the season ITFC won the UEFA Cup.

Not so . 

It was the European Cup up until 1993. The Champions League was born thereafter , and the format changed mostly due to a deal being struck by UEFA and a marketing company , in the cash started pouring in . 

9 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Not so . 

It was the European Cup up until 1993. The Champions League was born thereafter , and the format changed mostly due to a deal being struck by UEFA and a marketing company , in the cash started pouring in . 

Indeed, but sometimes using the latest name is less confusing.

Not so in the Carling Cup though, where the label 'League Cup' is still sometimes used:

League Cup became:

Milk Cup 1981-2 to 1985-6; 
Littlewoods Challenge Cup 1986-7 to 1989-90; 
Rumbelows Cup 1990-91 to 1991-2; 
Coca-Cola Cup 1992-3 to 1997-8; 
Worthington Cup 1998-9 to 2002-3; 
Carling Cup 2003-4 to present

Edited by BroadstairsR

I've just wasted three minutes of my life by looking up who the Binners played to win the UEFA Cup . 

Apparently it was (according to Wiki) 

Aris Saloniki (Who?) 

Bohemians (from the now defunct Czechoslovakia)

Widzew Lodz (See Aris Saloniki)

Saint Etienne (now i have heard of them to be fair) 

FC Koln (yup Cologne) 

and finally

AZ 67 (who have since changed their name so they don't really exist any more) 

All refereed by someone called Adolf from East Germany ( I don't make this stuff up you know) which of course doesn't exist either. 

I suspect if we hadn't drawn Bayern Munich, Inter Milan and Vitesse we might have beaten a few teams from Greece Poland and Prussia. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Not so in the Carling Cup though, where the label 'League Cup' is still sometimes used:

League Cup became:

Well we say Wembley - which means of course the nice new shiny Wembley that we won at in the Play Offs. The Binners last played at "Wembley" - long since demolished 🤣

55 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

League Cup became:

It hasn’t been the Carling Cup since 2011-12 season.

2012-13 to 2015-16 it was the Capital One Cup.

2016-17 it had no sponsorship and was just the EFL Cup (as it is now officially known, rather than the League Cup).

2017-18 to present it is the Caraboa Cup.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

You could probably go a bit further than that and say if you were born in May 1999 you would be 20 years old and 3 at the time of their relegation in 2002.

Point being I doubt theres a teenager out there who can remember Ipswich as a top division club

Edited by ThorpeCanary

That our full backs are worth more than their entire squad, staff, stadium and training ground combined is a good one. 

Or that our U23's might be rocking up to portman road to play their first team in a competitive game (If Lambert decides to take the FLT seriously that is) Is another

Plus, their current manager, the guy they hero worship and place all their faith in was one of the main catalysts to us overtaking them in the last decade

I could go on and on. it's almost cruel

2 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I've just wasted three minutes of my life by looking up who the Binners played to win the UEFA Cup . 

Apparently it was (according to Wiki) 

Aris Saloniki (Who?) 

Bohemians (from the now defunct Czechoslovakia)

Widzew Lodz (See Aris Saloniki)

Saint Etienne (now i have heard of them to be fair) 

FC Koln (yup Cologne) 

and finally

AZ 67 (who have since changed their name so they don't really exist any more) 

All refereed by someone called Adolf from East Germany ( I don't make this stuff up you know) which of course doesn't exist either. 

I suspect if we hadn't drawn Bayern Munich, Inter Milan and Vitesse we might have beaten a few teams from Greece Poland and Prussia. 

To be fair, St Etienne, Lodz and AZ used to be good teams in the 70s and early 80s, I think Zbignew Boniek played for Lodz when representing Poland at the 82 world cup, if I recall correctly Poland made the semis that year. He was probably Polands greatest player of all time.

However it certainly didn't make the binners Champions of Europe, anyway that's Leeds isn't it?

• Haha 1

To be fair, we may well have had some European success if it wasn't for the Liverpudlians 🙄

16 hours ago, city4eva said:

The only European competition they're likely to be involved in, is if there's a war!

On 21/08/2019 at 15:23, BroadstairsR said:

The UEFA Cup was always the second most important European club competition....

Being an old git..., from what I remember it was the third most prestigious European competition. I remember the Cup Winners Cup (each nation’s domestic Cup winner being represented) being second in the pecking order. This and the European Cup were single game finals at a neutral venue. The UEFA Cup final was a 2-leg Final (home and away legs). It was very much the ‘cinderella’ competition of the three.

All true, but Ipswich are top of the league! Even City couldn't do that so soon when we were in L1 😂  Just proves that Lambert has still got it. 

Edited by Surfer

Their points have come from a hugely deflected winner at Burton, a home draw with Sunderland, a goalkeeper’s howler and last gasp header at Peterborough, another last gasp winner home to AFC Wimbledon and a win against the Bolton Wanderers youth team. 

Let’s see what they do when their lick runs out. Mid-table at best for the perennial chokers  that is Piswich Down FC.

European Cup Winners Cup (much missed and a superior alternative to the UEFA Cup IMHO) was regarded as the "next best" European trophy to win back in the day.

Ipswich's motely crew can bang on about winning it all they like-when they did the clubs joining them at the QF stage included 1x from Switzerland, 2x from Belgium and 1x from the Netherlands-and not Ajax, Feyenoord or PSV either. So about the equivalent to winning the old Intertoto Cup.

They were lucky to have got that far, having already lost to Greek footballing giant Aris in the 1st round 3-1, and 2-0 to the mighty Bohemians of Prague in the 2nd round.  They lost a couple more as well, including one of the legs in the final to AZ67.

Liverpool 'only' won the European Cup that year by virtues of wins that included a 5-0 at Aberdeen (who went onto win the ECWC and had won the Scottish title with Fergie) and victories over Bayern Munich and Real Madrid.

So yes, on reflection, Binners were easily 'Champions of Europe' that season.