Sign in to follow this  
Norwich  R  Us

Cano Football Article - NCFC Statistical Analysis

Good article, thanks. Interesting read on Sheff Utd’s approach as well.

Cheers for this, and thankfully (for once) a statistical analysis backs up my defence of Marco on the other thread!

• Like 1

Thats a good read, an analysis of how we play is of course one thing, how the opposition are going to be able to deal with it is another. Will be a fascinating season.

3 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Another interesting analysis here with a slightly different take to the Cano one.

https://medium.com/@jonathanblathwayt/norwich-v-newcastle-61a4826ac6a9

Interesting, although I think his main point is that with City it’s a mistake for the opposition to sit back and defend deep while conceding possession.  As he says , Sheff Wed under Bruce last season did manage a 2-2 draw at CR using that approach, but were very fortunate to score a wonder goal and also score via a handball to get the draw.

I think it’s very true that teams need to press high against City for the best chance of success, the problem is doing that for 90+ minutes; it’s no coincidence we score a lot of late goals when the opposition are tiring.

So it’s fair comment that tactically Bruce got it wrong. And people shouldn’t get too carried away - any more than people should have been too negative after the Liverpool defeat.

53 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Interesting, although I think his main point is that with City it’s a mistake for the opposition to sit back and defend deep while conceding possession.  As he says , Sheff Wed under Bruce last season did manage a 2-2 draw at CR using that approach, but were very fortunate to score a wonder goal and also score via a handball to get the draw.

I think it’s very true that teams need to press high against City for the best chance of success, the problem is doing that for 90+ minutes; it’s no coincidence we score a lot of late goals when the opposition are tiring.

So it’s fair comment that tactically Bruce got it wrong. And people shouldn’t get too carried away - any more than people should have been too negative after the Liverpool defeat.

Bit of a strange article the second one - it starts by saying Newcastle played into our hands by sitting back and defending, but finishes by saying we looked more threatening by letting them have the ball and hitting them on the counter. There aren’t really any examples used to back up the points made - when did we struggle against teams with a high press, what is the basis for that argument (it might or might not be true, but the article doesnt mention one game where it happened). 

I’m not sure that prem teams will base their tactics on how we fared against championship sides. Most teams we play this season will have far better defenders than sides we played last season, and also far better, quicker and stronger strikers. Most sides in this division who want to play defensively will be more likely to hold out for 90 minutes than championship sides, and most will have players far more effective on the counter.

Sitting in deep and hitting us may be a more effective tactic for these prem sides than it was for sides in the bottom half of the championship.

The article also makes the point that Newcastle should have gone ahead and had a couple of other good chances. So was it their tactics that were wrong or are their players just not very good? I’m not sure they could have played any other way - if they’d tried to press us higher we could have won by more.   

I think the reason a high press is likely to be more effective against us is that I’m not sure how our defence will fare against such a tactic. Krul isn’t the best with his feet under pressure, Hanley isn’t, Klose can pick a pass but under pressure I’m not so sure, nor am I about Zimmerman. Even our full backs, great bombing forward, but can they handle a high press? Maybe they can, but we’ll have to find out. Godfrey is the most comfortable and least worrying, but I think decent sides might think they’ve got a chance of nicking it off the others.

Edited by Aggy