Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, king canary said:

He's been one of the weaker performers in the first couple of weeks and there is an argument for him dropping to the bench to accomodate someone like Vrancic. That isn't scapegoating.

he hasnt been weak though has he. just because he isnt scoring doesnt mean he isnt offering a lot. somebody commented on this above that if we were to take him out, we notice it. look at the bigger picture rather than who scores and who doesnt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Smash n grabban said:

he hasnt been weak though has he. just because he isnt scoring doesnt mean he isnt offering a lot. somebody commented on this above that if we were to take him out, we notice it. look at the bigger picture rather than who scores and who doesnt.

OK, re-read my post and tell me where I said anything about whether he's scored or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, king canary said:

OK, re-read my post and tell me where I said anything about whether he's scored or not.

no i know, you did say he has been a weaker performer which i disagree with. i assumed you were merely looking at goals/assists etc as opposed to actual performances, of which is think he's not done anything wrong. appreciate i shouldnt assume though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm torn on him.
I don't think he has hit the ground running this season. By the end of last season, he was absolutely phenomenal.
I ended up stating he doesn't look like a football player but shows others up!
He is definitely not a traditional #10 but does have a good vision and does more for the team in his defensive duties and the like.
I think he set the bar high last year by his performances and hasn't made the step up as quickly as some others.
I don't think he is a scapegoat, I don't think there is anyone else currently more suited to do role but I hope to see him get up to speed as he was clinical last season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Smash n grabban said:

no i know, you did say he has been a weaker performer which i disagree with. i assumed you were merely looking at goals/assists etc as opposed to actual performances, of which is think he's not done anything wrong. appreciate i shouldnt assume though. 

Against Liverpool he gave the ball away too much when we needed to try and keep hold of the ball and take the sting out of the game. He was much better against Newcastle though.

As I said earlier I'm not advocating dropping him but I can see an argument for it, especially against a team like Chelsea where we may need some calmer heads in the middle like we had when Leitner came on v Liverpool. I'm a big fan of Marco though and I've no doubt he'll keep improving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At some point our players will get to their peak. There’s a reason why Steipi was released by Dortmund, it’s now up to him, along with a number of others to show that it was a mistake to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, king canary said:

Against Liverpool he gave the ball away too much when we needed to try and keep hold of the ball and take the sting out of the game. He was much better against Newcastle though.

As I said earlier I'm not advocating dropping him but I can see an argument for it, especially against a team like Chelsea where we may need some calmer heads in the middle like we had when Leitner came on v Liverpool. I'm a big fan of Marco though and I've no doubt he'll keep improving.

fair dues! agreed, definitely room for improvement! but i heard a fair few grumbles on saturday and the main reason for my post is that, knowing how fickle and naive some norwich fans are, i dont want him to be a 'scapegoat' just coz 'he dunt scoor gulz'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Smash n grabban said:

fair dues! agreed, definitely room for improvement! but i heard a fair few grumbles on saturday and the main reason for my post is that, knowing how fickle and naive some norwich fans are, i dont want him to be a 'scapegoat' just coz 'he dunt scoor gulz'

Unfortunately, a lot of our fans are thick as pig sh!t.

I am very glad that they aren't the ones picking the side or coaching the players. We'd end up with 10 'exciting' wingers on the field as most of them still have a **** for Hucks. Then we'd get smashed by 5 every week but it would still be ok because they would rather we play in the Champs anyway.

Honestly... It's completely ridiculous! As is my analogy... But what I'm trying to say is that these moaners, for the most part, have absolutely no idea about football. Same people who complained about us only signing "second rate, third tier Germans" I should imagine

Edited by BobLoz3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the step up to the prem too high a leap for Steipermann? He hasn't hit the ground running, more like hitting the ground followed by "wheel spins". Our team are lightweights  physically in this division so need to play to our strength which is retaining the ball. We are good at playing a close, fast & intricate passing game in tight spaces - this has run the opposition "rugged". We have Leitner, Cantwell, Buendia, Trybull, Vrancic who are excellent for this type of play.  Steipermann when involved has very often lost the ball, either through inaccuracy, sluggishness or trying to be too clever. These errors have seen the opposition counter-attack which for a team such as ours is lethal.

 Steipermann however is the best player for that position at the moment, simply the team needs his physical presence. The use of his height to compete for the long balls out, his aggressiveness  to unsettle the opposition centre backs has complimented Pukki's game. His turn and long pass to Cantwell setup Pukki's third goal showed he is still contributing to the team. But I understand the frustration of fans, he has looked the weak link during a lot of the open play. He also appears low on energy, lagging behind play too often not to be noticed. I hope his shooting improves, we need a goal threat beside Pukki.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Is the step up to the prem too high a leap for Steipermann? He hasn't hit the ground running, more like hitting the ground followed by "wheel spins". Our team are lightweights  physically in this division so need to play to our strength which is retaining the ball. We are good at playing a close, fast & intricate passing game in tight spaces - this has run the opposition "rugged". We have Leitner, Cantwell, Buendia, Trybull, Vrancic who are excellent for this type of play.  Steipermann when involved has very often lost the ball, either through inaccuracy, sluggishness or trying to be too clever. These errors have seen the opposition counter-attack which for a team such as ours is lethal.

 Steipermann however is the best player for that position at the moment, simply the team needs his physical presence. The use of his height to compete for the long balls out, his aggressiveness  to unsettle the opposition centre backs has complimented Pukki's game. His turn and long pass to Cantwell setup Pukki's third goal showed he is still contributing to the team. But I understand the frustration of fans, he has looked the weak link during a lot of the open play. He also appears low on energy, lagging behind play too often not to be noticed. I hope his shooting improves, we need a goal threat beside Pukki.

The bold quotes there are why I think Stiepermann has to keep his place.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely undroppable for me. He's vital for making this particular system we play work. Even when off form he creates space for others and carries us up the pitch. I want to see Vrancic included somehow as well but I don't think dropping Stiepermann is the answer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hyperbole on this forum . Absolutely undroppable? Sure hes the best fit at the moment,  but no one is absolutely undroppable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Absolutely undroppable for me. He's vital for making this particular system we play work. Even when off form he creates space for others and carries us up the pitch. I want to see Vrancic included somehow as well but I don't think dropping Stiepermann is the answer

Because your username becomes less relevant if he’s dropped? 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×