Sign in to follow this  
pete

Is Klose close?

Daniel Farke bigging up Grant Hanley on todays Pink Un and how he has performed, against Newcastle he was ok Joelinton was awful and provided little opposition but still managed an error for Newcastle goal.  Is he saying this beause Timm Klose is not going to be available for Saturday when Chelsea will offer more defensive questions with Giroud.  We we're told last week and this Timm was close to playing and a no show if he's not going to be available for couple of weeks would rather know than be disappointed on game day.  And live with the fact we are relying on Hanley.  It's difficult not to remember the og howler against Liverpool Hanley needs to do it against a proper attack before he gets any plaudits.    

God you're effin tedious at times. Maybe he's praising Hanley because overall Hanley had a good game. I know that's probably a little difficult for you to get your head around.........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

how about get behind whoever plays. we've not got virgil van dijk, we make do with what we have got. hanley isnt the greatest defender in the world but he will give his all and thats all we  can ask. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I sort of get the desire to address and discuss weak links - it’s only natural - because as fans we want better and better and better. However we have won the game. If we had lost that Newcastle game 3-1 I could understand this post, but we haven’t so Hanley stays in the shirt.

Hanley did 'OK' against Newcastle I'd say. He generally handled Joelinton well, but as has been pointed out a lot, Joelinton was dreadful. However, Hanley lost him completely for that free header in the first half, he got tangled up and blundered over when Pukki came storming back to win the ball and he didn't put up much of a fight for the goal.

Hanley was better against Newcastle than he was against Liverpool but I don't think he's the right long term option. If Klose is fit this weekend, it'll be a tough one: I'm sure Farke will keep faith with the same defence as we won, but Klose is a better player than Hanley and I'd have more confidence in us getting something from the game with Klose.

I expect Hanley to play though regardless of whether Klose is fit. I hope Giroud plays rather than Abraham because I feel that Hanley would cope better in a physical battle against Giroud rather than deal with the movement of Abraham.

Do you think, if Abraham plays, Godfrey should mark him?

Timm's got a hip injury, think Hucks retired from that. The longer we give Klose to recover, the better. 

1 minute ago, splendidrush said:

Do you think, if Abraham plays, Godfrey should mark him?

Timm's got a hip injury, think Hucks retired from that. The longer we give Klose to recover, the better. 

I doubt we'd get the choice in open play. A lone striker will likely position himself on the side of the most vulnerable centre back.

But saying that, maybe Hanley's experience against someone raw like Abraham could give him an advantage. He may not compete with him for pace but he can for footballing intelligence.

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

Hanley stays in the shirt

Absolutely. Of course he does. He is no mug and has only played two full league games since last October, so will get better with more matches.  Some may consider him fourth choice, but Farke does not work like that - he trusts all his players and while Zimbo and Klose recover full fitness - and even when they are fully fit - as long as we are doing well, Hanley will keep his place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete said:

Daniel Farke bigging up Grant Hanley on todays Pink Un and how he has performed, against Newcastle he was ok Joelinton was awful and provided little opposition but still managed an error for Newcastle goal.  Is he saying this beause Timm Klose is not going to be available for Saturday when Chelsea will offer more defensive questions with Giroud.  We we're told last week and this Timm was close to playing and a no show if he's not going to be available for couple of weeks would rather know than be disappointed on game day.  And live with the fact we are relying on Hanley.  It's difficult not to remember the og howler against Liverpool Hanley needs to do it against a proper attack before he gets any plaudits.    

He’s praising his players because he is a good manager and wants to encourage and engender  confidence in them. There is no guarantee that if Tim was fit he would walk in to the team, a recent clanger in one if the pre season games looms large in the memory!

Edited by Van wink

He'll do the job if he's allowed to play consistently, let's hope Trybull's form stays true though, I'm not overly familiar with how Chelsea play but as sure as eggs is eggs the quality of the DM position should mean Hanley's task is made easier with the enforcer in front of him..

Yes Pete, I'm actually surprised Farke didn't say "Scheise, I hope Timm or Zimm are fit soon, Hanley is a terrible footballer". That would surely be the best approach...

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

However, Hanley lost him completely for that free header in the first half, he got tangled up and blundered over when Pukki came storming back to win the ball and he didn't put up much of a fight for the goal.

That's harsh for me. When Pukki helped him out, he was shepherding him away from goal and ready to tackle (as the last man) when Pukki took the ball off him by surprise.  I thought he did ok on Saturday & the EDP were harsh with their 6/10 rating.

Klose's injury record worries me.  I was hoping we'd get at least 30 games out of him this season.

1 minute ago, Woodman said:

That's harsh for me. When Pukki helped him out, he was shepherding him away from goal and ready to tackle (as the last man) when Pukki took the ball off him by surprise.  I thought he did ok on Saturday & the EDP were harsh with their 6/10 rating.

Klose's injury record worries me.  I was hoping we'd get at least 30 games out of him this season.

It felt harsh for me too as I was typing that paragraph, but let's be honest, he did have some shaky moments whereas I can't recall Godfrey having any. 

Without wanting to state the obvious, I'd love Hanley to prove himself as a Premier League centre back but I just think he has too many limitations in his game to manage it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Absolutely. Of course he does. He is no mug and has only played two full league games since last October, so will get better with more matches.  Some may consider him fourth choice, but Farke does not work like that - he trusts all his players and while Zimbo and Klose recover full fitness - and even when they are fully fit - as long as we are doing well, Hanley will keep his place.

Farke considers him Fourth choice. Hence why when all four were fit last season he was 4th choice. There’s no disrespect to Hanley in that, it’s just how it is. Farke even commented after the Liverpool game that we were missing key players in the defence through injury 

Edited by JF

3 hours ago, JF said:
4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Farke considers him Fourth choice. Hence why when all four were fit last season he was 4th choice. There’s no disrespect to Hanley in that, it’s just how it is. Farke even commented after the Liverpool game that we were missing key players in the defence through injury 

Hanley was first choice until he was injured last season, after which he couldn't get in the team because others did well - but that is a Frake trait - play well and you keep your place, so as it is his place to lose, it is up to Hanley whether he stays in the team or not, not whether he is deemed by anyone first, second or ninth choice. 

8 hours ago, pete said:

He’s hardly going to come out and say he is the worst defender in the whole wide world, is he?

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

He’s hardly going to come out and say he is the worst defender in the whole wide world, is he?

Of course he's not - his name isn't Luke Chambers. 

• Haha 1

Personally I can see Grant Hanley improving match by match. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that GH keeps the shirt for quite a while, and if he does it means we are playing well and getting results.

Win, win.

• Like 1