Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

I hope we can stay humble and not get too ahead of ourselves

I can get what the OP is trying to say, but I am just enjoying the ride atm...! I think I've seen that Pukki volley about 100 times now...

I don't give a To$$ about what the pundits say , so who cares ... but I believe we are going places now and I enjoy the fact that Villa can't even manage a point , after having spent a fortune

• Like 1

To be clear I am not in any way saying we shouldn't enjoy it, or that we should be excited by it or that we shouldn't believe that we can beat Chelsea or that we have a better side than Sheffield United. I am loving watching some of the football we are playing. Nor should we not defend our team in discussions with other fans or pundits.

But I have seen loads of tweets and face book posts and a few posts on here which make it sound as though its April and we are 8th in the league or something. A long way to go before we can laugh in the faces of these pundits and say that we proved them wrong.

I hope you never change Jimbo because your infamous OTT meltdowns are part of the beauty of this great community.🙃

I think one of the stated aims is to be established in the top 25. Interestingly this will be the 7th out of 9 seasons we've achieved just that. I guess anyone looking at it logically may suggest the other 2 seasons were unlucky. Not the 7..  

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

In my view, Delia has got extremely lucky Nutty with how the club has defied the odds. We didn't switch to this model as we believed it was the best chance of success, we switched to it out of necessity so she could retain control of the club and hand it on the Nephew Tom. I don't think I ever said it wasn't ever going to work, I think I said that it placed us at a disadvantage as it means that ever facet of the club has to operate exceptionally well to make us competitive/successful. That's what happened last season and pleasingly seems to have been carried over into this season. Our scouting and recruitment has been top notch, Webber seems to have got it right, we have a terrific coach and it has all clicked and come together. I am delighted about that and now we need to try and take advantage of it to establish ourselves at this level and set the club up for the next decade because I have my doubts as to whether we could repeat it again in the future on demand.

I don't recall ever saying we were rubbish although I will admit that around the time of the defeat to Leeds at home I lost some faith and was questioning whether how Farke wanted us to play was ever going to work, largely due to the fact we kept making defensive c**k ups in every game which interestingly has been a characteristic of the early part of each season under him but seems to improve as the season goes on. It was frustrating as there was a lot of good stuff evident on the pitch but it was being undermined by errors constantly. 

My main comment in this thread was not to say we shouldn't enjoy the moment, merely that fans tweeting Lineker, lawrenson or Shearer after one win making big claims about how we shoved it down their throats is a bit premature. I think some of the comments about Shef U come across as a bit arrogant. Norwich fans are not "billy b*g B**locks" by nature. I don't think its suits us. We all know this club has the capability of making us look silly if we get ahead of ourselves!

Jim, i was going to defend you by saying that unlike some posters you haven't hidden yourself away. Then you went and  attributed it all to luck.

I had a discussion here some time ago with Mick Dennis as to how much the notion of a sporting director/head coach was her idea, but it seems quite clear, even if Mick was over-egging it a touch,  that she had been very keen on the new way of doings things, even if others were also in favour.

And she brought in Ed Balls, who spoke to other clubs to find out how to implement such a plan. It may even be that in talking to Damien Comoli he was specifically advised that if we could tempt Webber away from Huddersfield we should.

Luck? Total b*ll*cks. Good management of a football club.

It might not be luck, but there is a very thin line between success and failure. Hanley's OG and the ricochet at Anfield, followed by a £40m  Newcastle striker missing a sitter. We could just as easily have drawn at Liverpool and got beaten by Newcastle. Defensively the performances were not that different.

What has impressed me (again) is the way we just go about our business, whatever happens.

Ignore the noise.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Jim, i was going to defend you by saying that unlike some posters you haven't hidden yourself away. Then you went and  attributed it all to luck.

I had a discussion here some time ago with Mick Dennis as to how much the notion of a sporting director/head coach was her idea, but it seems quite clear, even if Mick was over-egging it a touch,  that she had been very keen on the new way of doings things, even if others were also in favour.

And she brought in Ed Balls, who spoke to other clubs to find out how to implement such a plan. It may even be that in talking to Damien Comoli he was specifically advised that if we could tempt Webber away from Huddersfield we should.

Obviously not all luck Purple (credit where its due for taking advice, knowing when to step back, changing things etc) but I bet even they did not expect the new structure (which i would maintain was introduced for pragmatic reasons and with a view to ensuring sustainability as a champ club more than it was to "target" promotion) to pay off as quickly and spectacularly as it has done. That's what I meant by "got lucky" (which is a turn of phrase - I suppose I could have said "got off the hook," "got out of jail" or used a few other similar expressions) because, for example, had we not got promoted and spent a couple more years down in the championship I think "reality" would have kicked in, young players would have been sold to balance the books each summer and we might have been looking at a long, hard road ahead with her ownership and future plans coming under increased scrutiny. However, things clicked spectacularly last season and we have escaped that predicament and can now look forward to at least a few more years of relative prosperity. Of course its not luck that Webber does his job well or that Farke coaches well or that Pukki is a great finisher but similarly I don't think what has happened to us was all part of the "masterplan" when Webber was brought in - it will have exceeded all expectations of those who put it in place.

So what these people do isn't just luck. The luck is how they fell into Delia's lap in the first place. Without the luck we wouldn't be able to compete with ipswich but as Delia's soooooo flimmin' lucky they haven't beaten us for 3,775 days. Glad we have a lucky owner....

• Like 1

Pound for pound personal investment wise, Delia Smith’s probably one of the very most successful football club owners in this country. Long may her ‘luck’ continue because personally I’m quite enjoying it...

• Like 4

From an outsiders view you should enjoy it. Next week I think you have Chelsea? Don’t know if it’s home or away but they will be dreading playing you. All the pressure is on them. Sure you will have your bad runs as most teams do but you should be getting carried away. That’s what footie is all about. I don’t think you have anything to worry about in the bottom half of the league. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Evertonian said:

From an outsiders view you should enjoy it. Next week I think you have Chelsea? Don’t know if it’s home or away but they will be dreading playing you. All the pressure is on them. Sure you will have your bad runs as most teams do but you should be getting carried away. That’s what footie is all about. I don’t think you have anything to worry about in the bottom half of the league. 

If you carry on being so reasonable for an 'outsider' you'll end up with the highest like to post ratio on the board!:classic_biggrin: We've made a decent start , that is all. You are also right about Chelsea, they could wobble if we tear into them successfully, but they do have the players, if composed and organised, to give us a bit of a lesson.

12 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

If you carry on being so reasonable for an 'outsider' you'll end up with the highest like to post ratio on the board!:classic_biggrin: We've made a decent start , that is all. You are also right about Chelsea, they could wobble if we tear into them successfully, but they do have the players, if composed and organised, to give us a bit of a lesson.

Please put this in the stats thread. 

• Haha 1

On 20/08/2019 at 16:50, PurpleCanary said:

Today's comments from Ed Balls don't reveal much that is new about the switch to a new management structure. As far as I can see the only revelation is that Neil was specifically and strongly against.

It was well known some board members wanted to bring in the new structure immediately after relegation, but it was felt with a manager in place who was being given a chance to get us back up that was not the time. That Neil himself was  very much opposed is new, I think, although not a great surprise.