Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

I hope we can stay humble and not get too ahead of ourselves

Whilst we played very well on Saturday (and in spells at Anfield) i'm a bit uneasy about some of the comments I've seen since about how we will beat Chelsea or how Shef U look like a championship playoff side in comparison (I do think we will prevail over the course of the season but they are up there on merit, have a good manager and have made a better start than us). I obviously hope we continue to grow and we prove the doubters wrong but it seems a bit premature for some of the baiting of pundits on social media that has taken place since the weekend claiming we have already proven them wrong. They may yet be proven right in which case they will have the last laugh. We have won one game and still have an defence that looks very ropey at times. We are very reliant on Pukki who to date has not been injured for any length of time. We are at our best when humble and channelling the underdog spirit so lets not get too big for our boots off the back of a couple of decent showings. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Whilst we played very well on Saturday (and in spells at Anfield) i'm a bit uneasy about some of the comments I've seen since about how we will beat Chelsea or how Shef U look like a championship playoff side in comparison (I do think we will prevail over the course of the season but they are up there on merit, have a good manager and have made a better start than us). I obviously hope we continue to grow and we prove the doubters wrong but it seems a bit premature for some of the baiting of pundits on social media that has taken place since the weekend claiming we have already proven them wrong. They may yet be proven right in which case they will have the last laugh. We have won one game and still have an defence that looks very ropey at times. We are very reliant on Pukki who to date has not been injured for any length of time. We are at our best when humble and channelling the underdog spirit so lets not get too big for our boots off the back of a couple of decent showings. 

No chance of that with you posting, Jim!😍

• Haha 3

Tend to see this sort of thing more on Twitter, be foolish if people think Chelsea will be a soft touch, they’re still one of the biggest clubs in the country and we’re underdogs for a reason. Hopefully we can upset the odds and enjoy it though. I do think the Sheff Utd v Palace game looked very Championship though, that’s not looking down noses or anything, it was just a sh1te game quality wise, no point trying to dress it up as anything else!

Good article here on us and Shef U analysing the different technical approaches. There is more to how they play than most people realise I think.  Its very complimentary about us as well.

https://www.canofootball.com/articles/tactical-analysis/norwich-city-and-sheffield-united-the-new-boys-with-the-new-ideas-a-statistical-analysis/

I do think we are much better than people have given us credit for, my only worry remains the defending and that it might ultimately undermine a lot of the good stuff. Even on Saturday Newcastle could and should have scored in the first half and goals change games.

3 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Wait till the international break then we’ll have a better idea

i would say wait until the second international break. Eight games in and having played a reasonable cross-section of opponents, and some players (Klose, Zimmermann, Amadou?) perhaps by then fully fit.

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Good article here on us and Shef U analysing the different technical approaches. There is more to how they play than most people realise I think.  Its very complimentary about us as well.

https://www.canofootball.com/articles/tactical-analysis/norwich-city-and-sheffield-united-the-new-boys-with-the-new-ideas-a-statistical-analysis/

I do think we are much better than people have given us credit for, my only worry remains the defending and that it might ultimately undermine a lot of the good stuff. Even on Saturday Newcastle could and should have scored in the first half and goals change games.

The only thing is Sheff Utd's ‘new ideas’ with overlapping centre backs is not a ‘new’ or ‘original’ thing at all. The Dutch were doing this back in the day during their 1970’s golden era. 

8 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

The only thing is Sheff Utd's ‘new ideas’ with overlapping centre backs is not a ‘new’ or ‘original’ thing at all. The Dutch were doing this back in the day during their 1970’s golden era. 

Got to say it’s a brave approach for a recently promoted team to the prem aiming to get their CB on the by line, and the wing backs in the box. That’s usually a recipe for disaster but they have also been tight. Fair play to them.

But like us their attacking approach has been honed over multiple seasons. It would be more dangerous to abandon the plan you know just because you’re in a different division.

Think we’ll both stay up. 

39 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Whilst we played very well on Saturday (and in spells at Anfield) i'm a bit uneasy about some of the comments I've seen since about how we will beat Chelsea or how Shef U look like a championship playoff side in comparison (I do think we will prevail over the course of the season but they are up there on merit, have a good manager and have made a better start than us). 

Have they made a better start than us though? They managed a draw at Bournemouth, fair enough, then scuffed a win against a poor Palace side where the ball was in the air for most of the game. Welcome back to the Championship. 

46 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I obviously hope we continue to grow and we prove the doubters wrong but it seems a bit premature for some of the baiting of pundits on social media that has taken place since the weekend claiming we have already proven them wrong. 

We haven't proved them wrong yet, but, mark my words, Pukki will score more than the 'less than 10' as stated by Lawrenson. 

49 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

We have won one game and still have an defence that looks very ropey at times. We are very reliant on Pukki who to date has not been injured for any length of time. We are at our best when humble and channelling the underdog spirit so lets not get too big for our boots off the back of a couple of decent showings. 

We've played the best in Europe and the worst in the Division, too early to make any predictions but supporters who are constantly told that their Team can't compete, have every right to enjoy their moment in the sun. Long may it continue. 

56 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Jim I agree, we have beaten a team who we thought would struggle and with Rafa's late departure, Bruce's arrival and ongoings at the club it was the right time to play.

You have to taken advantage when a team is down, we haven't always but we did last Saturday.

Chelsea have international players across the park and certainly will be favourites, however they will be aware we are on a high and are a threat. They may be in more of a position to stop that than Newcastle. But let's see, this is the advantage of playing the big teams early, you can catch them cold.

It is a long season, with a lot of learnings to be made. Hopefully due to the young talent they have the ability to learn quickly and we can pick up points in the first half of the season. As the second half of the season is always a little harder.

Edited by smooth

We shouldn't fear a Frank Lampard side. He is out of his depth at this level and is coach by virtue of his name. 

They are there for the taking

16 minutes ago, smooth said:

Jim I agree, we have beaten a team who we thought would struggle and with Rafa's late departure, Bruce's arrival and ongoings at the club it was the right time to play.

You have to taken advantage when a team is down, we haven't always but we did last Saturday.

Chelsea have international players across the park and certainly will be favourites, however they will be aware we are on a high and are a threat. They may be in more of a position to stop that than Newcastle. But let's see, this is the advantage of playing the big teams early, you can catch them cold.

It is a long season, with a lot of learnings to be made. Hopefully due to the young talent they have the ability to learn quickly and we can pick up points in the first half of the season. As the second half of the season is always a little harder.

You are Daniel Farke and I claim my £5! 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We need to support our style and philosophy because they won't change. 

We can be proud of our youth and recruitment model. 

We beat a side we needed to beat. 

Farke has already spoken about ignoring the noise. He will keep the players grounded.  That's the example to follow. 

We've just had a fantastic result and we should make the most of it as there will be plenty of disappointments this season I'm sure. Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism.

It doesn't matter if fans get carried away as Webber and Farke will keep the players and the staff at the club focused on what is important.

Edited by Peanuts
typos
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, splendidrush said:

We've played the best in Europe and the worst in the Division, too early to make any predictions but supporters who are constantly told that their Team can't compete, have every right to enjoy their moment in the sun. Long may it continue. 

This^^^.  We have already in just two games proved quite a lot. The stats were pretty good against Liverpool and we were not "thrashed" as some would have you believe. The ease we pushed aside another PL team in Newcastle was breathtaking - we made them look totally ordinary - and they have some good players who it looked to me as if they were simply not expecting such a good opposition.  We literally blew them away - and the only times we have ever done that to a team in the PL was in the early nineties.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

But you didn't stay humble 12 months ago when you had a total meltdown on here about how rubbish we were and how this set up wasn't ever going to work and it was all Delia's fault.

I've seen nothing positive to match that Jimbo🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

A downtrodden Newcastle managed by the fairly inept Bruce is a bit different to facing a sturdy B'Mouth side with a few years of PL experience under their belts say as comparison. I still think we can do the likes of Palace too but again, we're two games in what's the point of thinking about either side of the coin right now?!

Southampton cut Liverpool open too. Their defence is poor at present. That might define their season. Sides might just decide to attack them. 

That said I am struggling to recall Norwich City ever dominating possession and showing that level of pass and move in an EPL game. 

One thing for sure. It is engrossing stuff. We learn more on Saturday. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

But you didn't stay humble 12 months ago when you had a total meltdown on here about how rubbish we were and how this set up wasn't ever going to work and it was all Delia's fault.

I've seen nothing positive to match that Jimbo🙃

In my view, Delia has got extremely lucky Nutty with how the club has defied the odds. We didn't switch to this model as we believed it was the best chance of success, we switched to it out of necessity so she could retain control of the club and hand it on the Nephew Tom. I don't think I ever said it wasn't ever going to work, I think I said that it placed us at a disadvantage as it means that ever facet of the club has to operate exceptionally well to make us competitive/successful. That's what happened last season and pleasingly seems to have been carried over into this season. Our scouting and recruitment has been top notch, Webber seems to have got it right, we have a terrific coach and it has all clicked and come together. I am delighted about that and now we need to try and take advantage of it to establish ourselves at this level and set the club up for the next decade because I have my doubts as to whether we could repeat it again in the future on demand.

I don't recall ever saying we were rubbish although I will admit that around the time of the defeat to Leeds at home I lost some faith and was questioning whether how Farke wanted us to play was ever going to work, largely due to the fact we kept making defensive c**k ups in every game which interestingly has been a characteristic of the early part of each season under him but seems to improve as the season goes on. It was frustrating as there was a lot of good stuff evident on the pitch but it was being undermined by errors constantly. 

My main comment in this thread was not to say we shouldn't enjoy the moment, merely that fans tweeting Lineker, lawrenson or Shearer after one win making big claims about how we shoved it down their throats is a bit premature. I think some of the comments about Shef U come across as a bit arrogant. Norwich fans are not "billy b*g B**locks" by nature. I don't think its suits us. We all know this club has the capability of making us look silly if we get ahead of ourselves!

Getting carried away is fun- who cares?

Just as I've said to LDC that I don't believe anything negative posted on this forum has any affect on what happens on the pitch, I don't think fans thinking we can beat Chelsea will make any difference to the result.

Football is supposed to be fun- if you can't get carried away when your team plays well then whats the point?

• Like 1

Humble? **** that! These moments are there to be enjoyed whilst you can. We’re playing some of the best football I’ve seen and not just from a Norwich team. We are here to compete and will give the majority of teams in this league a game. Bring Chelsea on.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

In my view, Delia has got extremely lucky Nutty with how the club has defied the odds. We didn't switch to this model as we believed it was the best chance of success, we switched to it out of necessity so she could retain control of the club and hand it on the Nephew Tom. I don't think I ever said it wasn't ever going to work, I think I said that it placed us at a disadvantage as it means that ever facet of the club has to operate exceptionally well to make us competitive/successful. That's what happened last season and pleasingly seems to have been carried over into this season. Our scouting and recruitment has been top notch, Webber seems to have got it right, we have a terrific coach and it has all clicked and come together. I am delighted about that and now we need to try and take advantage of it to establish ourselves at this level and set the club up for the next decade because I have my doubts as to whether we could repeat it again in the future on demand.

I don't recall ever saying we were rubbish although I will admit that around the time of the defeat to Leeds at home I lost some faith and was questioning whether how Farke wanted us to play was ever going to work, largely due to the fact we kept making defensive c**k ups in every game which interestingly has been a characteristic of the early part of each season under him but seems to improve as the season goes on. It was frustrating as there was a lot of good stuff evident on the pitch but it was being undermined by errors constantly. 

My main comment in this thread was not to say we shouldn't enjoy the moment, merely that fans tweeting Lineker, lawrenson or Shearer after one win making big claims about how we shoved it down their throats is a bit premature. I think some of the comments about Shef U come across as a bit arrogant. Norwich fans are not "billy b*g B**locks" by nature. I don't think its suits us. We all know this club has the capability of making us look silly if we get ahead of ourselves!

You said we could no longer compete with Ipswich. What was that if it wasn't getting ahead of yourself. Even LDC isn't the yin to your yang🙃

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

You said we could no longer compete with Ipswich. What was that if it wasn't getting ahead of yourself. Even LDC isn't the yin to your yang🙃

He’s right, unless we draw them in the cup we can’t! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Equally, we had 2 good chances we didn't score.

I don't see anyone getting 'too big for their boots' other than some kids on twitter who will do that regardless.

12 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

when did I say that? I may well have referred to the fact that Evans plugs a £6m a season gap for them and that long term we may struggle to compete with even them in terms of wages etc.

Just now, Jim Smith said:

when did I say that? I may well have referred to the fact that Evans plugs a £6m a season gap for them and that long term we may struggle to compete with even them in terms of wages etc.

This is interesting Jim.

You've said in your above post you hope that we can 'establish ourselves'. If that's your benchmark for Delia then it's unfair - there's only about 7, maybe 8 clubs that are really established in the top flight and they're all bigger than us.

You also say "I have my doubts if we could repeat it in the future". Well you were proved wrong once, odds are it could happen again.

I also like how Delia's managed to "get lucky" so many times...😂

get off your needs you gutless whiners

wwe are here to stay and here to make our mark

so up annd at 'em is my thought

and you can shove your wringing cap, touching your forelock and grovelling where the sun don't shine

so bring on the next challenge and lets get stuck in 😬

We should all know by now that everything is Delia's fault when things are going badly but when things are going well it's either nothing to do with her or she has got lucky somehow. If we had a billionaire owner like Vincent Tan, Mike Ashley or the Venky's Group then we would be Champions League regulars by now.

How have people not grasped this?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

This is interesting Jim.

You've said in your above post you hope that we can 'establish ourselves'. If that's your benchmark for Delia then it's unfair - there's only about 7, maybe 8 clubs that are really established in the top flight and they're all bigger than us.

You also say "I have my doubts if we could repeat it in the future". Well you were proved wrong once, odds are it could happen again.

I also like how Delia's managed to "get lucky" so many times...😂

Establishing ourselves in the top flight has to be the target though doesn't it? I recognise that outside of the top 6 or 7 no premier league club is safe from the possibility of relegation but we obviously need to aim to stay there as long as we can and if we are able to do so we need to develop the infrastructure of the club and future proof it as much as possible (which to be fair we are doing with the signings of young players for the U23 and academy teams).