Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Stat attack

Thought it would be good to have a centralised place for all the tidbit stats that we get. They normally start off in their own thread but then get lost and forgotten (for example there was one about pukki vs Harry Kane in games against Liverpool but it’s lost in the ether of the forum now).

Key here is context though, so when adding to the thread, please make it clear whether the stat refers to a game or the season as a whole, and which game if it’s an individual match. No need to go looking for stats but if you spot one worth sharing, add it here.

ill start with this.

Mo Leitner completed more passes over the 90 minutes than the entire Newcastle midfield combined (93 to 81). [Newcastle at home]

Edited by kick it off

What was the Pukki stat about most goals scored? I half heard it. Was it this year in England, Europe....? 

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

What was the Pukki stat about most goals scored? I half heard it. Was it this year in England, Europe....? 

From the start of last season to now, Pukki is the top scorer in all 4 divisions of English football.

Not sure about Europe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, WD40 said:

From the start of last season to now, Pukki is the top scorer in all 4 divisions of English football.

Not sure about Europe

1p5wich will be fuming 😱.....

10 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

1p5wich will be fuming 😱.....

You mean when they compare Pukki to their fat, bald journeyman who missed a pen last game? Or that donkey they’ve paired with him who cost multiple millions?

😂

Norwich had more shots at Anfield than any side in the premier league in the 2018/2019 season and were one of only 3 sides to restrict Liverpool to less than 500 passes in a game at Anfield since the start of the 2017 season, the other two being Spurs and Man City.

• Like 1

Being the top scorer in English football is impressive enough. Not sure he has a chance in Europe, the likes of Messi/Ronaldo etc play about 60 games per year, for extraordinary teams on average against more open and attacking sides. I can't find the stats for top goalscorers in europe but I bet he's still up there which is hugely impressive

What surprises me is that he's played over 40 European Qualifiers as well as some of the Top Clubs across Europe and yet, with all the money spent on scouting by Clubs in the Premier League, he ended up with us, on a free.

Incredible....

15 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

What surprises me is that he's played over 40 European Qualifiers as well as some of the Top Clubs across Europe and yet, with all the money spent on scouting by Clubs in the Premier League, he ended up with us, on a free.

Incredible....

It was because we look at stats in a different way. It was mentioned that most looked at his goals per game, we looked at his goals per minute on the pitch ( he was often withdrawn after 75 minutes ).

For those that don’t think stats are that important this squad was assembled based on stats coupled with an attitude to get to the top again.

5 minutes ago, Well b back said:

It was because we look at stats in a different way. It was mentioned that most looked at his goals per game, we looked at his goals per minute on the pitch ( he was often withdrawn after 75 minutes ).

For those that don’t think stats are that important this squad was assembled based on stats coupled with an attitude to get to the top again.

That will incur the wrath of Bill. Stats are becoming more and more used in the modern game and we have a head coach who is obsessed by them and recruitment department that is using them in a creative way to source new players. I read somewhere that Buendia was found after someone at the club noticed that his stats were very abnormal for a player in a relegation battling second division side, and I get the impression that several others have been spotted as a result of this type of data.

6 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That will incur the wrath of Bill. Stats are becoming more and more used in the modern game and we have a head coach who is obsessed by them and recruitment department that is using them in a creative way to source new players. I read somewhere that Buendia was found after someone at the club noticed that his stats were very abnormal for a player in a relegation battling second division side, and I get the impression that several others have been spotted as a result of this type of data.

That’s spot on. Buendia stats were not only the best but unusually for not a top team in that division. I also understood that we also looked at stats for players prior to them getting injured ( Krul and Leitner ) and at their previous clubs to where we signed them from. Great for us at the moment but unfortunately with the different ways we interpret stats Webber will become hotter and hotter property.

6 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I shouldnt worry about the wrath of an old fool.🍷

Thought this was interesting

"Moritz Leitner's 95 completed passes against Newcastle on Saturday is:

- The most of any player in a @premierleague game so far this season

- More than Newcastle's three centre-midfielders (Shelvey, Ki, Hayden) managed between them (84) #ncfc

Backs up what we all saw on Saturday, a really fine performance from Mo

•  
Edited by Van wink

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

That’s spot on. Buendia stats were not only the best but unusually for not a top team in that division. I also understood that we also looked at stats for players prior to them getting injured ( Krul and Leitner ) and at their previous clubs to where we signed them from. Great for us at the moment but unfortunately with the different ways we interpret stats Webber will become hotter and hotter property.

Webber isn’t really a stats guy. That is the realm of other people in the recruitment team. The ‘money ball’ aspect of Norwich’s recruitment is over played a bit (and they will be the first to tell you that). Kenny McLean’s data was actually pretty bad but they signed him off the back of physical scouting after trips to watch Maddison. 

Webber spotted Pukki a few years back and tried to get Wolves to sign him when he worked there, but Wolves didn’t go for it. 

Norwich got a bit lucky with Pukki, although they liked him,  no one really thought he’d have this kind of impact and was initially signed as back up to Rhodes. 

No data was used in the signing of Leitner - Farke knew a loan was possible and pushed Webber to do the deal, he wasn’t even scouted. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Kenny McLean’s data was actually pretty bad but they signed him off the back of physical scouting after trips to watch Maddison. 

Funny that, as I suggested that was probably a major factor in signing him when it happened, and a few choice muppets absolutely rubbished the suggestion as Webber and Farke wouldn't possibly have followed up on anything that happened before they arrived, they ripped literally everything up and started from scratch apparently.

Edited by kick it off

16 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Pukki is the first player ever to score 4 goals in their first 2 PL appearances

Yes apparently the first Prem player to score in both of his first 2 games, amazing it’s not happened before but talk about overdoing it!

Pukki did not score a hat trick last season in the Championship, but has done so in his second Prem game.

Apparently his xG for his 2 games was just 1.09 from which he’s got 4 goals. Last season he outperformed his xG by more than any other player in the league. In other words he’s an exceptional finisher 😎🤔👍

18 hours ago, WD40 said:

Not sure about Europe

Not Europe, while Messi remains the genius he is, but good to have TP in the same consideration!

Apparently Cristiano Ronaldo scored one hat-trick in 196 appearances for Man U in the Premier League.....

....Pukki has one hat-trick in 2....