Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Craig Fleming

Met him a few times, down to earth, modest and unassuming.

I like his interviews, he comes across well and has a good sense of humour.

For years he was our outstanding defender playing almost every match of each season.

Craig is still a good defender in this league and is my idea of how a Professional Footballer should look after himself and acquit himself on and off the pitch.

We all get older and we all slow down, I don''t want to say too much about the unfair vitriol he has received for the past two seasons but if push came to shove; if we were individually tasked with putting out a Norwich team and worked with this man then I bet he would be one of the first names on our teamsheets.

If you want players who will stand up and be counted and stick in when the going is tough then Craig Fleming is your man. He should expect to be phased out by younger defenders at this stage of his career, I bet he will at least put them under pressure for their places.

Not a big man he amazes me how many defensive headers he wins by judgement and standing strong rather than jumping to try to beat strikers who tower over him.

I hope he has a good game today and receives the appreciation he deserves.

Yep, fair play to him. Despite some appalling performances over the past 12 months, he''s been very, very good in the last two games. Let''s hope that he can keep up this form for the next month or so, until davenport re-signs for us.

I dont want davenpot, to sign pernmanentley although a loan would be good. Our defence has been better since he left and that is afact.

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]

our team plays better with Paul McVeigh rather than without him - AND WORTHY DOES NOT WANT TO PLAY HIM that is a FACT.

WORTHY RATES ANDY HUGHES THAT IS A FACT lol

worthy is a limited megson manager who does not learn from his mistakes that is a FACT!!! lol

[/quote]

I thought we won yesterday, paul, if so try and smile please Mr Grumpy. If we did lose and our win was a dream then you may be right, but if not Smile

im well happy just a bit worried. yes we have had an upturn in form and as yuou can see i no longer want worthy out (were playing better and my man for the job is now employed).

I just dont beleive he will learn from what has happened.  And am seriously worried that come the end of January without Ashton we will just stay mid table. Mcveigh and ashtons partnership is blossoming and may well be broken before we no it.

Will worthy sign the right replacement??  I have my doubts - i dont see any obvious potential targets (like hucks and ashton in previous years) and when worthy has delved into the unobvious he hasnt done particuarly well.

Yep I am over the moon about the wins but am concerned at who is gonna be in the squad come February 1st [:)]

I thought he had a great game at Sheffield, missing very little in the air, which was where he lost things a little in the Premiership. When they brough on their very quick striker, (Kaba?), I was concerned, but although he ran about with the ball he made little impact. Flem''s lack of pace was not evident.If he and the Doc continue like this, and with Shackle in reserve, (plus Halliday and Spillane), dowe really need Davenport if Spurs ask a high price?

I thought Fleming had an excellent game V Sheff Utd. He won tonnes of headers, and made numerous blocks, and him and the Doc looked very solid, against some very tricky strikers. I thought Danny Webber of Sheff Utd looked very good, tricky and caused a few problems and the war horse Shipperley linked well with him. But if Flem can keep that level of performance up, we don''t need Davenport!

If Davenport and Fleming were of the same age, I would accept the argument of going with what we have, but they''re poles apart as regards where they are career-wise.
When Malky came to the club, he took an age to make the first team squad but over time gelled exquisitely with Fleming and they contructed a solid and formidible partnership - where''s today''s equivalent?
I''d love to see Shackell and Doherty create a similar if not better partnership to that of Fleming and Malky, but in Davenport I think there is potential for an even better partnership with Shackell. Imagine those two together at the heart of the defence, playing alongside one another for 2-3 years - sound like a potentially formidable partnership?
Therefore, Fleming is acceptable as a short term answer to the centreback debate, but when looking more longterm - who do we want to form the impenetrable rearguard of the future..?  
For the record, I think Fleming is still a valuable and good quality player for City, and long may that continue.