Sign in to follow this  
Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Ryan Bennett's resurrection

'The lesson of Ryan Bennett'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11784433

Interesting article here on how Ryan Bennett has become a key player for a very good Wolves side in the Premier League after being released by us.

Interesting points include how players benefit from a change in coaching style, that he may have been mismanaged by Lambert, Hughton and Neil, and the implication that he should've joined Swansea instead of Norwich back in 2012.

Also, whilst reading this, I think the same could be said about several of our current squad who have seemingly found a level they never had before or have been rejuvenated under Farke after their careers stalled, such as Pukki, Leitner, Trybull and Krul.

21 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

'The lesson of Ryan Bennett'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11784433

Interesting article here on how Ryan Bennett has become a key player for a very good Wolves side in the Premier League after being released by us.

Interesting points include how players benefit from a change in coaching style, that he may have been mismanaged by Lambert, Hughton and Neil, and the implication that he should've joined Swansea instead of Norwich back in 2012.

Also, whilst reading this, I think the same could be said about several of our current squad who have seemingly found a level they never had before or have been rejuvenated under Farke after their careers stalled, such as Pukki, Leitner, Trybull and Krul.

Yep,  Ryan Bennett always had a classy look about him when he arrived but didn't develope as I'd hoped . He would be very useful for us under farke, who , it seems is able to improve players performances if they are open to it.

Always liked him and used to use him as a litmus test to work out if my fellow fans were berks or not (e.g. "that Rian Benet (misspelt) keep trying to play long passes but he aint no good at it")

Edited by Orly
  • Haha 1

May be unkind to say it, but he never seemed that intelligent a footballer to me, very good physically and good technique, but a bit vulnerable to pace and never really looked that good in a football sense.  Seems like he has had some good defensive coaching at Wolves and maybe had things spelled out to him a bit more simply, allowing him to be at his best  - and let's be fair, coaching defending wasn't Lambert's strongest point and the overall negativity surrounding Hughton's time at Norwich didn't help any of our players.  

Good for him, it's always good to see a struggling player come good....except when he is playing against us.....

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

May be unkind to say it, but he never seemed that intelligent a footballer to me, very good physically and good technique, but a bit vulnerable to pace and never really looked that good in a football sense.  Seems like he has had some good defensive coaching at Wolves and maybe had things spelled out to him a bit more simply, allowing him to be at his best  - and let's be fair, coaching defending wasn't Lambert's strongest point and the overall negativity surrounding Hughton's time at Norwich didn't help any of our players.  

Good for him, it's always good to see a struggling player come good....except when he is playing against us.....

He only spent about 3 months playing under Lambert and two years under Hughton so I know who I'd blame for him not being coached well.

I agree he didn't come across as the brightest but he obviously had some talent and could be decent on the ball but needed a calming influence next to him to bring out his best. His best spells seemed to come next to someone like Klose.

Interesting stuff, and I would fail your test Orly, I was always a bit disappointed/unimpressed by him, especially as he came to us with a reputation that he could go on to greater things. 

Am I right in thinking that he was in the group of ex-players watching us last season (Ruddy and Madders were the others)?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Interesting stuff, and I would fail your test Orly, I was always a bit disappointed/unimpressed by him, especially as he came to us with a reputation that he could go on to greater things. 

Am I right in thinking that he was in the group of ex-players watching us last season (Ruddy and Madders were the others)?

We all fail tests from time to time.  It's how we brag about setting them on the internet that counts.  😉

PS - Yes I believe he was.

Never really developed since he came in for us initially where there was a bit of hype of him being a potential international CB. 

Anyway, never personally rated him - didn't have great pace, was good aerially but not exceptional, was average with the ball at his feet, and could never forge a decent relationship with another CB partner here.

However, he's done very, very well at Wolves, far better than I expected.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Never really developed since he came in for us initially where there was a bit of hype of him being a potential international CB. 

Anyway, never personally rated him - didn't have great pace, was good aerially but not exceptional, was average with the ball at his feet, and could never forge a decent relationship with another CB partner here.

However, he's done very, very well at Wolves, far better than I expected.

We had a much maligned central defensive selection of Russell Martin, Ryan Bennett and Sebastian Bassong along with Tim Klose.

Of the three who've left, one is a regular in a top half Premier League team, one dropped down to League Two and the other one seems to have barely played in two years. 

I wonder who was holding who back in those partnerships...

Amazes me how some people gets jobs running teams when they have such poor judgement.    We spent years picking Martin and Whittaker at this lads expense.  Those two should never have put on a yellow Jersey in the EPL..  Bassong the same.... One of them is apparently a club legend.  Not in my book!   Farke has proved how putting trust in your young lads reaps rewards.

Then again, Bennett was on a hiding to nothing playing alongside that lot!   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Amazes me how some people gets jobs running teams when they have such poor judgement.    We spent years picking Martin and Whittaker at this lads expense.  Those two should never have put on a yellow Jersey in the EPL..  Bassong the same.... One of them is apparently a club legend.  Not in my book!   Farke has proved how putting trust in your young lads reaps rewards.

I seem to recall he was injured a lot as well?  

4 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Martin should have been dropped earlier than he was but to say he isn't a club legend when he played a key role in back to back promotions followed by seasons where we finished 12th & 11th in the Premier League is a bit weird.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Martin should have been dropped earlier than he was but to say he isn't a club legend when he played a key role in back to back promotions followed by seasons where we finished 12th & 11th in the Premier League is a bit weird.

Agree with this, first season in the Premier League he was brilliant. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

That is some pretty good rewriting of history. Seb was player of the season in his first year at Norwich - Martin played well and scored vital goals many times in the Prem and Whittaker was also good for Norwich in his first season. 

The fact Ryan Bennett is playing well now, doesn't change the fact he was often awful when playing for Norwich - I think he is far more suited to a back three, as the fact his positioning can be horrendous is less exposed with extra men back to cover for him. Nuno is a very good coach and has drilled all his defenders well, Conor Coady was a midfielder at Huddesfield before joining Wolves for £2m (one of Webber's first sales at Huddesfield) and has done exceptionally well at Wolves after converting to defence. 

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

Not really, he wasn't particularly good in the Championship and had we selected Bennett or any other reasonable championship level centre half we'd have got promoted.     

As for the 11th placed finish, that was quite bizarre, we were virtual relegation certainties with 2 games left, West Brom didn't turn up, we somehow won 4-0 then beat Man City who were on the beach on the last day.  Make no mistake that season we were terrible.

Just now, ged in the onion bag said:

Not really, he wasn't particularly good in the Championship and had we selected Bennett or any other reasonable championship level centre half we'd have got promoted.     

As for the 11th placed finish, that was quite bizarre, we were virtual relegation certainties with 2 games left, West Brom didn't turn up, we somehow won 4-0 then beat Man City who were on the beach on the last day.  Make no mistake that season we were terrible.

I was talking about the promotions under Lambert where he played right back. He was consistently excellent for four or five seasons for us before his move to central defence.

14 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The fact Ryan Bennett is playing well now, doesn't change the fact he was often awful when playing for Norwich - I think he is far more suited to a back three, as the fact his positioning can be horrendous is less exposed with extra men back to cover for him. Nuno is a very good coach and has drilled all his defenders well, Conor Coady was a midfielder at Huddesfield before joining Wolves for £2m (one of Webber's first sales at Huddesfield) and has done exceptionally well at Wolves after converting to defence.

I remain unconvinced he was as bad as people made out. The only time I thought we'd stay up under Neil was when he was playing next to an actual proper central defender in Klose, rather than a converted right back who'd lost his pace or a half arsed Bassong. 

I never thought Bennett was that bad for us. I have friends who absolutely couldn't stand him as a player. He made a few silly mistakes in games but so does pretty much every defender ever.

Bassong was terrible that season but BYG is right in saying that he won POTS in his first season for us and was very good. But that was under Hughton and I guess a defender is probs the only type of player likely to win POTS in a Hughton side!

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

I remain unconvinced he was as bad as people made out. The only time I thought we'd stay up under Neil was when he was playing next to an actual proper central defender in Klose, rather than a converted right back who'd lost his pace or a half arsed Bassong. 

He was really inconsistent - but I think I saw him looking woeful far more than he looked good. It could be he was being sold short by his defensive partners, and I think there is certainly something in having a good centre back next to him, to tell him where to stand. 

Even with his success at Wolves I'm glad I don't have to see him play for Norwich again and trying one of the 60 yard diagonals he thought he could play - which always went straight out of play. Noticeable that he doesn't do that anymore at Wolves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He was really inconsistent - but I think I saw him looking woeful far more than he looked good. It could be he was being sold short by his defensive partners, and I think there is certainly something in having a good centre back next to him, to tell him where to stand. 

Even with his success at Wolves I'm glad I don't have to see him play for Norwich again and trying one of the 60 yard diagonals he thought he could play - which always went straight out of play. Noticeable that he doesn't do that anymore at Wolves.

I just think we never quite got the best out of him due to a variety of factors and he got a lot of unfair stick because people wanted to defend Martin so passed the blame on to Bennett. Combining him (needed leadership and help with positioning) and Martin (whose positioning was genuinely appalling in central defense) was always going to lead to disaster. 

We paid more for Bennett in 2012 than we reportedly did for anyone in the team at the weekend.

I'm not sure what, if anything, that says about Bennett or our current and past recruitment.

2 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

We paid more for Bennett in 2012 than we reportedly did for anyone in the team at the weekend.

I'm not sure what, if anything, that says about Bennett or our current and past recruitment.

In this case our 'past recruitment' under Lambert was pretty excellent.

For me, his career highlight is still helping Alexis Sanchez into the camera pit against Arsenal. 

• Like 1

Says on wiki that he was born in Greys but I'd always considered him a local lad. Perhaps its me misremembering but I don't remember him being that bad for us https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/05/31/norwich-city-fans-react-on-twitter-as-ryan-bennett-nears-wolverh/

I saw a Celtic thread on Pukki the other day and it's much the same. Footballs a funny game and he seems to have found the right system.

8 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Agree with this, first season in the Premier League he was brilliant. 

And on the subject of Bassong, imo he is both the best and the worst Centre-back I have ever seen play for us

7 hours ago, king canary said:

In this case our 'past recruitment' under Lambert was pretty excellent.

Was it? Genuine question, but three star players in Lambert’s promotion seasons were Holt , Hoolahan and Martin, all of whom were already at the club.