Sign in to follow this  
ben_645

Potential Chelsea weakness

The article creates a tenuous link between the old Gerard/Lampard issue to Lampard as a manager it but does highlight a weakness which I think particulaly benefits the way Norwich play - Chelsea struggle without the ball in midfield. Can see Stiepermann having good game.   

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/aug/17/frank-lampard-chelsea-shortcomings-manager-player

Chelsea are like Derby last season, learning the Lampard way. We will hopefully give them a really good game and Lampard will know what to expect from us, so it promises to be an open exciting game.

Just as well this is a daytime match too! 

• Like 2

Just now, lake district canary said:

Chelsea are like Derby last season, learning the Lampard way. We will hopefully give them a really good game and Lampard will know what to expect from us, so it promises to be an open exciting game.

Just as well this is a daytime match too! 

Derby did well against us last season though...with a little help from a friend with bolt cutters in the electric box 😉

Id like to think Farke equally knows what to expect. Want a point, would love a win, will take a good performance.

• Like 1

I agree with the premise of the article but I don't think it applies to Lampard, as I don't think the style of play that he is employing mirrors his style of play as a player. Also, it only seems to be applying the logic only to Lampard's international career and completely ignores the fact that at domestic level, this problem never existed. 

We'll see how it goes. Jorginho may be lightweight in midfield but Kante is arguably the best ball-winner in the country, possibly Europe.

Chelsea's high press looked pretty good against Leicester - Pulisic (unsurprisingly looked very good at it). Will put a lot of pressure on the Norwich defence and midfield. 

Their defence looks pretty ropy though and if you can play through the press then should be able to fashion some good chances. Will be a very stern test against them, and after this game and West Ham away, will get a much clearer idea of what Norwich's level is this season. 

They'll be desperate for their fist win and would have preferred if they got the result yesterday. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Chelsea's high press looked pretty good against Leicester - Pulisic (unsurprisingly looked very good at it). Will put a lot of pressure on the Norwich defence and midfield. 

Their defence looks pretty ropy though and if you can play through the press then should be able to fashion some good chances. Will be a very stern test against them, and after this game and West Ham away, will get a much clearer idea of what Norwich's level is this season. 

They'll be desperate for their fist win and would have preferred if they got the result yesterday. 

I'd much rather play a team who's got a new manager and yet to win a game than one who's just had the pressure and tension lifted of them from a win at home.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'd much rather play a team who's got a new manager and yet to win a game than one who's just had the pressure and tension lifted of them from a win at home.

Exactly. The longer a run like this goes on, the more it starts to play on the mind and the harder it gets to lose the monkey on the back. If we can get at them and maybe score first, the doubts may start to creep into the minds of the Chelsea players.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Their  fans will be expecting a  win against us, supposedly the weakest team they will have played  this season.  A good start by us and they will wobble,  just as they did v Leicester  when they stopped 'respecting' them and played the way they can. I have no doubt about how we will play, our way. Chelsea have good players but they still look a little disjointed  when not on top. If we take the initiative,  they will struggle, as we will, if they get the upper hand. Will be a very interesting game,tactically. One well drilled very settled side of limited cost  v a relatively expensive side that are still bedding in with a new manager and style of play.

Just now, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

If we beat Chelsea then we can start thinking about the title..

Why wait?

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Why wait?

You are both Lakeyo and I claim my premium away membership guaranteed  ticket for all games. 😉🥅

• Like 1

Views from their message boards suggest they’re very wary of Pukki. Some say they’ll smash us, others are not so sure at all. 

55 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

:classic_laugh: No we can't, but we can start thinking we can beat anyone at anytime, which should help the confidence and help keep the momentum going.  Who knows where it might end........

We overran Derby twice last season and should have had six points.  Lucky equaliser in away game and fortunate goals at Carrow, Mount vastly overrated.

Looks to be a level of over confidence on here after despatching an extremely poor Newcastle.  Save it until we perform against a side playing capably.

2 minutes ago, pete said:

We overran Derby twice last season and should have had six points.  Lucky equaliser in away game and fortunate goals at Carrow, Mount vastly overrated.

Looks to be a level of over confidence on here after despatching an extremely poor Newcastle.  Save it until we perform against a side playing capably.

Yes, Saturday will be a real acid test. I thought a few weeks back that this season may be a bit of a struggle for them by their standards, but I actually think Frank is showing signs of freshening Chelsea up considerably, they looked a bit stagnant under Sarri but despite the transfer embargo I think they’re improving and a win is not far away. We will be up against it on Saturday no doubt, but hopefully we can surprise a few and get a result. I don’t agree about Mason Mount though, Pete - I think he’s one of their brightest prospects, he has quality and if he was at Norwich then I’m sure we’d all have high hopes for him. Imperative we keep him quiet on Saturday, but then they still have many players who can hurt us. Think it’ll be a good game though, I think there’s some space for us to play on the counter for sure, and I expect us to give them some issues.

Not expecting much in terms of a result but, as with Liverpool, as long as we play well and give them a good game, I'll be happy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

They did press well as their goal evidenced but Leicester started slowly.   Once Leicester got in their faces, Chelsea lost control of the game, in the end Leicester deserved the win.    

Press them from the off and they may well start to doubt themselves....give them little respect and we can get a result.    

3 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I agree. I do get nervous when the defense is passing the ball between them and Krul, with pressure.

Watching Saturday’s game I was not comfortable in the second half with how the team moved the ball out from the back under pressure. Their passing was not crisp and determined. The ball had too much casualness in it. Against a better organized, high pressing side, we could be inviting trouble.

On 19/08/2019 at 11:38, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Absolutely right. Chelsea have a vulnerability to through balls and to being attacked out wide (pretty much our two most favoured methods of attacking). Their press is a different level to Newcastle's though.

However, despite having some amazing players, Chelsea are an under-performing side (excepting Mason Mount and Emerson) so they must be feeling the pressure as a result- the manager in particular. Plus their finishing so far has been poor. Hopefully they don't make amends for this on Saturday.

I don't see Chelsea ending the season within 12 points of Liverpool and I doubt they will be top 4 this year but they do have some fantastic players any one of whom could cause us huge problems- furthermore they have played some good football in patches- albeit without enough end product.  

Saturday is a watershed moment for them. If we can match them for possession we should be good for a goal or two but I wouldn't want to predict the result other than to say that on our day we can take something from this fixture.  

They should have been 2-0 up before MU or Leicester scored and won't always be so profligate. 

Frank Lampard was a great player, he is one of the best I have seen in a Norwich shirt, but great players seldom make the top mangers. I always think of Hoddle who was apparently always frustrated in training because he never had a player as technically good as he was.

Lampart is a smart guy but I sense a story developing where Chelsea's love of Frank is sorely tested by results. The longer it goes on the greater the pressure. He is under a lot of pressure this Saturday. 

Having started at Anfield our players have experienced the storm and come out the other side,  it is now all relative. 

The game should be a cracker. I back Norwich to win so MotD can talk about Lampard's situation. 

Pukki v zouma is going to be interesting. Zouma's weakness from what I have seen is tracking clever movement. I think Giroud will give us problems but we can handle Abraham. Hopefully Lampard goes with Abraham and if we keep and use the ball well we could have a lot of joy out of them at either end of the park. 

13 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

They should have been 2-0 up before MU or Leicester scored and won't always be so profligate. 

Frank Lampard was a great player, he is one of the best I have seen in a Norwich shirt, but great players seldom make the top mangers. I always think of Hoddle who was apparently always frustrated in training because he never had a player as technically good as he was.

Lampart is a smart guy but I sense a story developing where Chelsea's love of Frank is sorely tested by results. The longer it goes on the greater the pressure. He is under a lot of pressure this Saturday. 

Having started at Anfield our players have experienced the storm and come out the other side,  it is now all relative. 

The game should be a cracker. I back Norwich to win so MotD can talk about Lampard's situation. 

13 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

I may be being stupid, but, when did you see frank lampard (jr) in a Norwich shirt?

2 hours ago, cornish sam said:

I may be being stupid, but, when did you see frank lampard (jr) in a Norwich shirt?

When we lost at Chelsea in the cup to Zola's goal. He swapped shirts and got interviewed on TV. 

At least someone reads my posts, Sam. 

• Like 1