24 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That's actually a really curious stat that I was unaware of because the team seemed so settled. Maybe it was due to the fact that until September results were iffy so Farke was still trying to find the right blend, and once he found it he only changed for injuries.

As splendidrush says I think a lot of the changes as the season went on were due to injuries. However there were also tactical and personnel changes particularly at the start as the team evolved. For example both Husband and Marshall started at Birmingham before dropping out of the team and eventually the club. We also started the season with both Rhodes and Pukki playing together.

5 minutes ago, pete said:

Hanley will go back to warming the bench when Timm or Zimm are fully fit.  Cannot trust GH entirely remember Pompey.

That is certainly not a guarantee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spencer 1970 said:

I reckon he'll start in the Crawley League Cup game and we'll see from there.

Yep, not a bad call.  The team v Crawley  will surely play our way and to slot him him in for that game will give a good indication  of how he's adapting.  Not sure of Crawleys  style of play , but can be pretty certain of ours.

59 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Yep, not a bad call.  The team v Crawley  will surely play our way and to slot him him in for that game will give a good indication  of how he's adapting.  Not sure of Crawleys  style of play , but can be pretty certain of ours.

Pretty sure that would be a Vrancic / Amadou centre mid pairing.

Roberts / Srbeny / McLean in front of them

Then Idah or Drmic up top.

Mouth watering!

• Like 1

Wonder what Amadou and the other new arrivals thought of the atmosphere at Carrow Road on Saturday.      No English needed to understand that I guess.

Edited by ged in the onion bag

30 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Wonder what Amadou and the other new arrivals thought of the atmosphere at Carrow Road on Saturday.      No English needed to understand that I guess.

Having the hair stand up on the back of your neck is an international language.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

We have yet to see Fahrmann either and I for one actually feel Krul is the better bet. I wasn't that impressed with Ralf in pre season.

The list of players you weren't initially impressed with last season probably includes Krul though right? 

8 hours ago, Number9 said:

Or you could just look at Farkes comments about Amadou 

His English is not good 

Lets hope he gets a grasp of English a little quicker than the Leeds Manager who still needs an interpreter to answer any questions in English

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Having the hair stand up on the back of your neck is an international language.

Roberts played for Celtic, Amadou in Europe, I can’t imagine they thought our support was particularly vociferous, however good our flags are.

• Haha 1

I dare say if our other defensive midfielders had been woeful in the first two games and continued to be woeful in the next couple, Amadou might find himself in the squad pretty soon. As it is, we’re doing alright so far so there’s no need to rush a player in before he’s ready. 

We saw it last season - once you’ve got the shirt it’s yours to lose. As was said earlier in the thread, if we don’t see Amadou much this season I’ll be thrilled - because it means the current DMs are doing so well they’re keeping him out of the side. When he does get a chance though (which he will) hopefully he can prove he’s another who it is really difficult to drop - we’ve got a lot of good players missing out!

4 hours ago, daly said:

Lets hope he gets a grasp of English a little quicker than the Leeds Manager who still needs an interpreter to answer any questions in English

Was it Pocchetino who basically used the language barrier as an excuse not to have to give interviews? I’m sure I heard his English “off screen” was decent but he made out it was worse so he didn’t have to get drawn into answering things he didn’t want to by journalists.

8 hours ago, Van wink said:

“Webber speaks of focusing on the root, not the fruit-in the case of the squad”

👍

As Musashi said

“When we look at the world we see arts for sale... As if with the nut and the flower, the nut has become less than the flower...”

5 hours ago, Aggy said:

Was it Pocchetino who basically used the language barrier as an excuse not to have to give interviews? I’m sure I heard his English “off screen” was decent but he made out it was worse so he didn’t have to get drawn into answering things he didn’t want to by journalists.

Aggy, as far as I was aware, he didn't use it as an excuse at all. He had a pretty decent level of English when he was at Southampton and he was also studying intensively. For interviews, he really wanted to be sure that the exact meaning of what he wanted to say was conveyed (as well as understand the exact meaning of questions being asked) , and the best way to do that was to use his native language and have an interpreter. I think this was a very sensible option.

Of course, he may have been worried that he might have misunderstood the interviewer and have made a fool of himself (remember he is being watched by millions of fluent English speakers). Again, if you have ever had to do a TV interview, especially in a language you may be quite good at, but not fluent, it can be incredibly nerve wracking, (for listening as much as speaking). You are unlikely to feel as relaxed as when speaking with a close friend, where odd mistakes and misunderstandings are easily tolerated. 

I think we have got so used to language geniuses like  Wenger, Lukaku and it seems Zimmerman and Farke, that it is easy to forget that footballers ( depending on where they have come from) need time to develop their language skills when coming to the UK. 

As for Bielsa, I love his interviews, watching his body language and the way he expresses himself. Makes him quite endearing to me. I am sure he's picked up quite a lot of language already. The problem comes with people who after a while become labelled  and seen (whether fairly OR not)  as unwilling to integrate by colleagues, as in the example of Bale. 

Edited by makham
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Aggy said:

I dare say if our other defensive midfielders had been woeful in the first two games and continued to be woeful in the next couple, Amadou might find himself in the squad pretty soon. As it is, we’re doing alright so far so there’s no need to rush a player in before he’s ready. 

We saw it last season - once you’ve got the shirt it’s yours to lose. As was said earlier in the thread, if we don’t see Amadou much this season I’ll be thrilled - because it means the current DMs are doing so well they’re keeping him out of the side. When he does get a chance though (which he will) hopefully he can prove he’s another who it is really difficult to drop - we’ve got a lot of good players missing out!

It's a real tough one as in principle and mainly in practice last year it worked.

I like what farke has said in regard to certain opponents may give us an opportunity to play a different player to counteract their advantage or give us a different edge.

One size, in the premier League does not always fit. 

I think if in training there is a player showing a level higher than a player who has the starting spot, or if after a run of games the starting player has has the same stats and level of performance, then a change is right.

This year I am certain the players are aware with less premier League games than championship games that they may play less due to the possibility of winless runs etc.

This season we will see Farke and his team learning how to change a match with tactical changes and substitutions. A HC changes can be the difference between 1 and 3 points if the changes result in a marked performance change.

Either way it is exciting as players will need to keep performing because of competition in the squad, less games and to prove their level can keep rising.

4 hours ago, makham said:

Aggy, as far as I was aware, he didn't use it as an excuse at all. He had a pretty decent level of English when he was at Southampton and he was also studying intensively. For interviews, he really wanted to be sure that the exact meaning of what he wanted to say was conveyed (as well as understand the exact meaning of questions being asked) , and the best way to do that was to use his native language and have an interpreter. I think this was a very sensible option.

Of course, he may have been worried that he might have misunderstood the interviewer and have made a fool of himself (remember he is being watched by millions of fluent English speakers). Again, if you have ever had to do a TV interview, especially in a language you may be quite good at, but not fluent, it can be incredibly nerve wracking, (for listening as much as speaking). You are unlikely to feel as relaxed as when speaking with a close friend, where odd mistakes and misunderstandings are easily tolerated. 

I think we have got so used to language geniuses like  Wenger, Lukaku and it seems Zimmerman and Farke, that it is easy to forget that footballers ( depending on where they have come from) need time to develop their language skills when coming to the UK. 

As for Bielsa, I love his interviews, watching his body language and the way he expresses himself. Makes him quite endearing to me. I am sure he's picked up quite a lot of language already. The problem comes with people who after a while become labelled  and seen (whether fairly OR not)  as unwilling to integrate by colleagues, as in the example of Bale. 

This is why, unlike Gareth Bale, I had so much respect for Steve McClaren in Holland, and Joey Barton in France, they nailed the native tongue in what seemed minutes, it was incredible

• Haha 7

14 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The list of players you weren't initially impressed with last season probably includes Krul though right? 

That is a massively sweeping statement...

Nope. Not at all. Always been behind Krul. As with all of our players. Why anyone would have reason to have a 'list' of players they weren't impressed with (especially last season) is beyond me.

I suggest you don't assume things unless you know someone or have at least contributed on here in discussions and realise what people are like, either online or in real life. I'm always very positive about NCFC, thanks very much!

Good name though. Funnily enough, I remarked that Teemu had done a 'Van Basten' after his volley on Sat.

Edited by BobLoz3

I think Amadou is behind Tom Trybull at the minute. I also feel Vrancic is competing with Leitner and Kenny Mclean will now be considered in more advanced roles, particularly with the injury to Hernandez. So probably behind Cantwell currently. 

I really want to see Vrancic and Leitner play in the same team, but I'm not sure its possible in the current system. It must be a real challenge keeping the squad happy. I think Vrancic especially, he must feel he has earnt the right to be one of the first players on the team sheet. 

Perhaps with have scope for a 4-3-3? 

Krul 

Aarons    Hanley  Godfrey Lewis 

Amadou

Leitner     Vrancic 

Buendia     Pukki     Drimic 

4 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

I think Amadou is behind Tom Trybull at the minute. I also feel Vrancic is competing with Leitner and Kenny Mclean will now be considered in more advanced roles, particularly with the injury to Hernandez. So probably behind Cantwell currently. 

I really want to see Vrancic and Leitner play in the same team, but I'm not sure its possible in the current system. It must be a real challenge keeping the squad happy. I think Vrancic especially, he must feel he has earnt the right to be one of the first players on the team sheet. 

Krul 

Amadou

Leitner     Vrancic 

Why does everyone want to drop Cantwell all the time?

22 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Krul 

Amadou

Leitner     Vrancic 

Sorry, no idea where this is coming from. 

28 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Krul 

Amadou

Leitner     Vrancic 

Urmmm... Yeah. This ain't it, chief!

Can't ever see Farke going with that line up, I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Il Pirata said:

Krul 

Amadou

Leitner     Vrancic 

I think if vrancic fits anywhere it is actually in the 10 position and he would be competition for Marco or come on as sub for Marco.

You would have Leitner, TT behind and Buendia, Cantwell alongside vrancic in our current system.

Vrancic had so many great assists at the start of the season and then end of the season he was instrumental in our promotion and showed himself to be one of the best midfielders in the championship.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yeah, I can't envisage a scenario where Drmic plays wide left unless Hernandez, Roberts and Cantwell are all injured.

Its not 'wide' left, its left of a front three. The full backs give the width.  The idea is that it would be an interchangeable forward three, similar to Liverpool with Mane, Salah and Firmino. 

Anyway, I'm just throwing it out there. I'm not suggesting Farke should change anything currently! 

1 hour ago, splendidrush said:

Sorry, no idea where this is coming from. 

How do you mean? I'm just considering alternative options that may allow Vrancic and Leitner to play together. That's where it's coming from - but I'm being purely hypothetical! 

27 minutes ago, smooth said:

I think if vrancic fits anywhere it is actually in the 10 position and he would be competition for Marco or come on as sub for Marco.

You would have Leitner, TT behind and Buendia, Cantwell alongside vrancic in our current system.

Vrancic had so many great assists at the start of the season and then end of the season he was instrumental in our promotion and showed himself to be one of the best midfielders in the championship.

I do agree with this and made this point last season. A lot of posters disagreed with Vrancic in the 'ten' role, but he was actually very effective when played there, albeit mainly from the bench. 

2 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

How do you mean? I'm just considering alternative options that may allow Vrancic and Leitner to play together. That's where it's coming from - but I'm being purely hypothetical! 

At this point in time, I think 3 changes and a formation that I don't think Farke has tried, even in pre season is a surprise. Not that you're wrong, just that I can't see it. 

13 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

That is a massively sweeping statement...

Nope. Not at all. Always been behind Krul. As with all of our players. Why anyone would have reason to have a 'list' of players they weren't impressed with (especially last season) is beyond me.

I suggest you don't assume things unless you know someone or have at least contributed on here in discussions and realise what people are like, either online or in real life. I'm always very positive about NCFC, thanks very much!

Good name though. Funnily enough, I remarked that Teemu had done a 'Van Basten' after his volley on Sat.

Well at least I now know that BobLoz3 is a bit overly sensitive. 

My point more than anything is that Krul had a shaky start but grew in confidence massively, so don't be too quick to rush to judgement on this German fella. 

Vrancic another who needed time to make an impact. The new players will grow in confidence and improve under Farke, that's what makes him a special manager and us a special club right now. 

Yes my username was chosen a few days before that goal, prophetic!  

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

On 19/08/2019 at 17:53, ged in the onion bag said:

I'm sure they were impressed but would have been nothing new for them, particular the German two.. They'd consider it standard.