Anyone know or seen it commented in the post match why Amadou wasn’t in the squad at all? I understand from the comments when he arrived he was fit, was just a question of acclimatising to team training. 

B35F6D4D-05E6-4948-B044-385ED7966035.jpeg

I guess Farke thought Tettey was a safer bet for this match as he's been here years and totally understands the system. Also, I don't think Amadou has ever lived in an English-speaking country, so if his English isn't great it might take a little longer to get him to fully understand the system. Farke has started 11 players who were at the club last season in both matches so far, so he clearly values that continuity. It might even be that we don't see Amadou until after the international break; until then, Tettey is absolutely fine at this level to come on for 10 minutes to shore up the midfield if required.

• Like 1

We have yet to see Fahrmann either and I for one actually feel Krul is the better bet. I wasn't that impressed with Ralf in pre season, but maybe that was too soon to judge.

It really all depends on how well the lads are playing. Have we seen any of the new boys start a Prem game yet? Nope. We're sticking with our core side from last season as much as we can and I think that's brilliant. Brave, too, but I see Farke getting the best out of them this way.

Entirely possible that Amadou won't start any Prem games at all this season. Seems mad, I know, but if the other lads are doing the business then why would he?! It's about the cohesion of our team and the togetherness. So it's only natural that the players who have been here a while are more in their rhythm.

Having said all of that, I would be excited to see Amadou play!

• Like 1

Fahrmann - this season’s Jordan Rhodes? Big chunk of our budget for a relatively highly rated player on loan, but will only make a few appearances?

Farke has always been relatively slow to introduce new signings. 

In the system Norwich play it takes a while to get used to it, and defensive midfield is especially difficult as the player will be under the most pressure from opposition pressing. After another full week of training we may see him make the bench, I doubt his first start will be until Crawley (depending on injuries to other players). 

Norwich were tracking Amadou all summer apparently and very excited about his signing - I doubt he'll be out of the starting line up for a long time, but Farke doesn't make changes for no reason. 

17 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Farke has always been relatively slow to introduce new signings. 

In the system Norwich play it takes a while to get used to it, and defensive midfield is especially difficult as the player will be under the most pressure from opposition pressing. After another full week of training we may see him make the bench, I doubt his first start will be until Crawley (depending on injuries to other players). 

Norwich were tracking Amadou all summer apparently and very excited about his signing - I doubt he'll be out of the starting line up for a long time, but Farke doesn't make changes for no reason. 

Yes, always been the way I guess. It's strange that Roberts isn't getting much game time either but for me, he seems a little lightweight and not as good at tracking back as some other options we have out wide. I reckon we'll need him in certain games, though, and Farke is quite clever at knowing when the time is right for these players. It's a good job, I guess, that Man City didn't give any particular stipulations on game time for him.

I wonder if Amadou has any stipulations from Sevilla? Doubtful, as his signing is more with a view to buy...

Im sure he will get his chance, Im pleased we are not in the position where we have to bring players in and throw them straight in at the deep end. He will have to earn his chance and when he gets it he can be assured the manager will give him a good chance to prove himself. 

Evolution not revolution.

• Like 1

As others have said since Farke came in new signings have been introduced gradually once they have got to the required fitness levels and settled in to the squad, their surroundings and taken on board the tactical ideas and systems. May well have been on the bench had Tettey not been available but there is no rush IMO, it’s a long season. 

Having quality players on the bench hungry for an opportunity, whilst the starting 11 repeatedly deliver on match days is just a sign that we have a healthy, competitive squad working as designed.

I'm Amadou doesn't play much this season, well it will only be a good thing really!

I'm not surprised we haven't seen him yet and am not reading much into it. We have a certain way of playing that requires players to get used to the system - it probably just isn't possible to master it to premier league standard in a week. The other new signings have had a number of friendlies and the bulk of pre season to pick things up. If his English apparently needs some work, this will definitely be a factor too.

I suspect we will see him in one of the cups before he pays a significant part in the prem. Trybull has made the position his own after Saturday, and Amadou will have to wait for his chance in that respect too.

Edited by HertsCanary93

21 minutes ago, Number9 said:

His English is not good 

Can’t have been a surprise to Farke & Webber. What was the plan then? Sign a player day before deadline day and get in into intensive English speaking classes?

I agree that if the player that has the shirt (TT) holds on to it, then this isn’t an issue. But if our - arguably - biggest signing can’t be integrated into match day squad because of language skills I’d like to know what we’re doing about it!

If it’s fitness im surprised he hasn’t featured for the -23s to help get him up to speed. 

Agree with the cup match thing. He has to prove himself there imo, as Aarons did last season.....but even if he does well in the cup matches, if the team are still doing well in the PL there are not going to be many vacancies anyway. It may be tough on the new boys - and for anyone in the squad who can't get in the team, but they will sooner or later get their chance. 

It's up to those with the shirts to keep performing and winning, such is the competition for places. It's all good.

Even if they're not playing, expensive loan players like Amadou, Fährmann and Rhodes last year are worth the money we paid for them if they drive Trybull, Krul and Pukki (last year) to play out of their skin and keep their shirt. 

I think all three of them were signed as starting players, but the players who were meant to be their backups have just done too well to be left out.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Can’t have been a surprise to Farke & Webber. What was the plan then? Sign a player day before deadline day and get in into intensive English speaking classes?

I saw him in Argos buying a box set of Friends DVD's.

• Haha 2

Think he's a very good player,  he will no doubt make a difference to us defensively, protecting the back 4

1 minute ago, TCCANARY said:

I saw him in Argos buying a box set of Friends DVD's.

With the number of foreign players in our team, maybe ‘Allo ‘Allo was the better shout

I felt one of the biggest reasons for our success last year was that players were rewarded for playing well by being kept in starting line up. Even when players came back from injury it was difficult for them to get back in the squad because players kept taking their chances. This must have been a real motivation for them. Dare I say it but Hanley May keep his place even if Zimmerman or Klose are fit if he plays well. This could be also why Cantwell has improved so much too. They know that if they work hard and actually performs the will stay in the first team. At other clubs some players will go back in the team just because they are bigger names. 

Loans make total sense this year. If we get immediately relegated we only get 2 year's of parachute payments, This summer we have improved squad depth risk free, id do still think we are striker short. But realistically who is going to come to inevitably be 2nd or 3rd choice. If we stay up we know that we have 1 more year premier league money and a further 3 years of parachute payments (not 2), allowing us more freedom to offer 3-4 year deals on mid-lower level premier league money.

• Like 1

I'm sure we'll see Amadou soon. Farke isn't one to make wholesale changes but he does evolve the starting lineup. Only three outfield players started both the first and last games of last season.

I don't know how much preseason Amadou has had either, according to the Seville site he didn't feature after their first game so whether that was due to injury, him being out of favour or a move already being worked on I don't know.

I wanted him to start on Saturday as I felt we were overrun in midfield against Liverpool but Leitner coming in made a big difference and Trybull had a great game too. I trust Farke to put Amadou in when he's ready and when he believes he will improve the team.

16 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

I'm sure we'll see Amadou soon. Farke isn't one to make wholesale changes but he does evolve the starting lineup. Only three outfield players started both the first and last games of last season.

In fairness a lot of the 'evolving' was due to injuries, once a player lost his place, he couldn't get back in.

19 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

I trust Farke to put Amadou in when he's ready and when he believes he will improve the team.

This. 👍

25 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

That's actually a really curious stat that I was unaware of because the team seemed so settled. Maybe it was due to the fact that until September results were iffy so Farke was still trying to find the right blend, and once he found it he only changed for injuries.

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Fahrmann - this season’s Jordan Rhodes? Big chunk of our budget for a relatively highly rated player on loan, but will only make a few appearances?

The value comes from the pressure he puts on Krul to up his game... which so far he has. So it's money well spent there.

• Like 1

I'm more of the opinion that they'll all get their chance as soon as anybody can't perform adequately (and not 1 iffy game) or more likely injury will rotate players. It a question of taking your chance when it arrives. That said we will see glimpses of them in substitutions.. as Mo did coming on at L'Pool and stating his claim! It's a squad game.

Hanley will go back to warming the bench when Timm or Zimm are fully fit.  Cannot trust GH entirely remember Pompey.

It's maybe not the best of comparisons (OK, it isn't, but indulge me!) but the great Liverpool teams of the late 70's and early 80's were always being refreshed with new signings but they hardly, if ever, took their place in the side straight away, no matter who they were and often had to contend themselves with half a season or more in the reserves before their chance came in the 1st team.

This also helped them study the players and work out the best way they could use them. Ray Kennedy was signed from Arsenal as a striker but he eventually featured for both Liverpool and England as a midfielder after his time 'settling in' in their central league side.

Webber speaks of focusing on the root, not the fruit-in the case of the squad, new players are putting down roots and settling into all things Norwich before they get a 1st team chance. Roberts might, given his reputation, gone elsewhere and featured straight away. He seems happy to bide his time here but will know that, if and when it comes, he stands out, then whoever he replaces will then have to wait their turn.

One of our core strengths is that we are a 25 man squad rather than a starting XI or featuring 18. Looking at Vrancic and co celebrating Pukki's goals on Saturday, that togetherness seems stronger than ever.

• Like 1