Sign in to follow this  
WD40

Sheff U v Palace

Shocking game, reminded me of a few we saw last year between supposed playoff contenders, just illustrates how far ahead our playing style is compared to our relegation competition.

I fear for our players going to play Sheffield. Apart from 20 yards from their own goal, they hacked and chopped their way through the game. But they will be hard to beat.

Palace look devoid of ideas and five years ago a front line of Benteke and Zaha may have frightened us but they really look poor.

And Chelsea ran out of everything by half time and a bit less greediness from Maddison and Leicester could have won easily.

The gap is definitely closing.

2 hours ago, ron obvious said:

I think teams like Newcastle & CP will improve as the season progresses. Let's face it they can't get any worse.

Still think SheffU will struggle. This is as good as they can play I reckon & they struggled. They certainly wanted it more than CP but I feel their, er, robust style may cause them problems in the end.

I’m also of the belief teams like CP will improve so would have been nice to play them while we’re something of an unknown quantity instead of Liverpool and Man City!

However, eyeing up Wham and Burnley as our next victims...

Palace look utterly toothless- my mate who is a season ticket holder there seems pretty worried about where the goals will come from outside of Zaha. 

I think Sheff Utd will be difficult to beat and they work very very hard. 

Crystal Palace really didnt have much to offer though.

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

I’m also of the belief teams like CP will improve so would have been nice to play them while we’re something of an unknown quantity instead of Liverpool and Man City!

However, eyeing up Wham and Burnley as our next victims...

...only 5 games away

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Compared with the Chelsea, Leicester game this was chalk and cheese. It looked more like a league one game. Lots of endeavour but little finesse.

17 hours ago, crispeduk said:

Agree with most of the above and if you look at the summer signings Sheffield2 does have the look of a club building for a play-off spot next season.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have pretty much the same team from the Championship last season? 

• Haha 1

How do you think your team played Blademark? Would you be confident of your team staying up with the squad you have and the playing style you have?

You have made a good start, and I like the football you play, certainly offensively, but defensively there are question marks I would have thought. Some of you seem a little over confident and rather disparaging. Might be wise to hold off the bold statements for a while, we know only too well they can come back to bite you. 

Good luck with the rest of the season

• Like 2

Just now, Crabbycanary3 said:

How do you think your team played Blademark? Would you be confident of your team staying up with the squad you have and the playing style you have?

Hi mate, fair to say we are happy so far, and we still have 5 new signings who haven't kicked a ball yet, so there is a degree of optimism yes. 

• Like 1

I think there's no doubt we were the two most 'attractive' (and bloody effective!) sides in the Division last year. It will be interesting to see how our respective styles hold up at this level. 

Do you think Villa will stay up? I don't think they will

3 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I think there's no doubt we were the two most 'attractive' (and bloody effective!) sides in the Division last year. It will be interesting to see how our respective styles hold up at this level. 

Do you think Villa will stay up? I don't think they will

I suspect we will both finish above Villa, but I also suspect that all 3 will be safe. 

11 minutes ago, Blademark said:

You have made a good start, and I like the football you play, certainly offensively, but defensively there are question marks I would have thought. Some of you seem a little over confident and rather disparaging. Might be wise to hold off the bold statements for a while, we know only too well they can come back to bite you. 

I agree, no point being disparaging against sides similar to us fighting for early footholds. Sheff Utd were one of, if not the best side to come to CR last season and have that momentum just like us.

Whilst I feel our football is probably more pleasing on the eye, few teams will get a decent result at Bramall lane this season with their loud support behind them, much like ourselves. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Whilst I feel our football is probably more pleasing on the eye, few teams will get a decent result at Bramall lane this season with their loud support behind them, much like ourselves. 

Yes - and hope the ref is is strong enough to punish the rough treatment our players will get trying to play football

6 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Yes - and hope the ref is is strong enough to punish the rough treatment our players will get trying to play football

Spot on. As I mentioned in another thread, some of our team are going to be targeted by various teams around us and this is where I believe VAR may be our friend as the season progresses.

Emi Buendia, when up to full speed will stand out again, much as he did last season. I can't wait for him to return to his all attitude, swaggering best for us however, that is when he will start drawing the rough treatment.  

Edited by East Rider

Sheffield United will pick up points because they are resilient and they can defend. They do not have the quality that we do going forward but they are more robust defensively so it will be interesting to see which approach brings more success over the course of the season. I would hope that our extra firepower will mean we are able to get more wins than them (whereas I can't see us having many draws and can see them having quite a lot of tight games). Palace were awful though and the Blades have been fortunate with their opening run of fixtures which have been kind to them. That said they would no doubt point to the fact that Newcastle were not great against us on Saturday either. 

Having seen a few of the sides such as Palace that I was worried may have moved on in recent years and would be difficult for us to overhaul I have to say i'm feeling a lot more optimistic about things. Palace and Newcastle both look vulnerable and in truth there doesn't really look a lot between any of the bottom half teams this season.

15 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Anyone else think we're going to smash Chelsea too?

No I don't and we should start thinking like that.

We can get a result against Chelsea of we play well but similarly they have been very good in spells so far this season and if we have one of our bad defensive days they will punish us and we could be 2 or 3 down before they run out of steam.

If we can get to the hour mark still in the game then I quite fancy us next Saturday but despite how we played against Newcastle we still gave them two gilt edged chances in the first half and other teams will take those sort of chances and goals change games. We therefore need to take our defensive game up a notch again next weekend. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blademark said:

I checked out your message board, where you called us ‘snobby’, and it seems that because we weren’t too enamoured with the quality of the Sheff Utd v Palace game, it’s caused a mini meltdown - not quite of WACCOE proportions, but a meltdown nonetheless.

I’m sorry if you’re offended because some of us, myself included, thought it was a game lacking in quality. I would love to say what a great game it was for the neutral, but if you have a look around at other supporters message boards they’re all saying the same thing. It’s nothing personal. It just wasn’t an amazing game, and as yours and Palace’s relegation rivals, it’s hard not to be pleased with what we saw. We played a poor team ourselves at the weekend, but the difference is we put them to the sword very convincingly indeed - you managed a 1-0 win. Who’s getting carried away here?

I think we can all see that Wilder has you pretty well drilled defensively, as many people have stated on this thread, myself included. But I still can’t see what you and your fellow supporters are seeing in your attack - where are the goals going to come from? The likes of David McGoldrick etc (we know him well), do you genuinely believe you have the same quality offensively as us? There is no Pukki, Buendia, Vrancic, Hernandez, Cantwell, Drmic etc at Sheff Utd as far as I can see, or am I missing something? Time will tell of course, but I’m confident that our focus on attack, and a quality one at that, rather than defence will prove to be more successful in our attempts to staying up this season - sure, we’ll take some beatings along the way, but I don’t think you have enough quality up top to surprise too many teams like we possibly can. Sorry if that sounds ‘snobby’ or whatever but I’m just saying it how I see it. But credit to Wilder on his well drilled defence, you do look smartly organised there.

As for us being at full strength, your friend is very misinformed. We’ve just lost Hernandez for 3 months, maybe more. And with total respect to Grant Hanley, our 4th choice centre back, but he’s behind the pecking order in 99% of City supporters eyes, and we will certainly be a stronger unit when Zimmermann, or Klose, return from injury alongside Godfrey. We have new players yet to feature such as a CDM, Amadou from Sevilla, and a top GK in Fahrmann from Schalke. It maybe that once they get their chance in the side then we’ll know what truly is our full strength side.

At the moment, we’ve played a poor team in Newcastle, and the Champions of Europe in Liverpool, of which we quite rightly got many plaudits for. We showed offensively we can trouble the best, and if it wasn’t for some uncharacteristic wayward shooting, that result may well have been different despite Hanley sending us on our way with an unfortunate own goal. In Palace you’ve also played a poor team, and in Bournemouth, they’re not the team they once were and I have a feeling they will be keeping an eye on the wrong end of the table this season too. So I think your posters perhaps need to temper their expectations until you’ve also played someone significantly of note.

As for ‘Canary Yellow’, who’s clearly a poster on here, and a two faced one at that, stating we’re ‘lunatics’. Well, we have our fair share of characters on here (which is a good thing), but generally it’s a very decent balanced forum with posters who live and breathe NCFC, sharing many different viewpoints - I’m not sure that’s in the Oxford dictionary under ‘lunatic’ but perhaps our ‘friend’ Canary Yellow has a better understanding of literacy than ourselves. I would have thought ‘fanatic’ was a more appropriate description myself, but never mind!

Good luck for the season also. Will be very interesting to see how it plays out, I’m optimistic we’ll surprise a few people and finish around where we are now. OTBC

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I checked out your message board, where you called us ‘snobby’, and it seems that because we weren’t too enamoured with the quality of the Sheff Utd v Palace game, it’s caused a mini meltdown - not quite of WACCOE proportions, but a meltdown nonetheless.

I think both sets of fans have got more in common than we like to admit. We're both unfashionable clubs who have been subject to lazy cliched media coverage and we are both widely tipped for relegation. That said their forum do seem particularly hostile and defensive.

I think Wilder has done an excellent job on not a great deal of money and they thoroughly deserved the success they had last season. I didn't watch the Palace game but I thought their opener at Bournemouth was poor, but I'm sure we'd be happy to take a point there too. From United's perspective these are two excellent results, no matter the quality of the opposition.

• Like 1

I think villa will be ok but concede far to many goals. I think sheff united will be touch and go. I think their home form will be the deciding issue 

I really like Sheff U and there is far more to them than just an organised defence.

They really went for Palace and a well drilled Hodgson team is a hard thing to break down. I suspect as the season goes on McGoldrick will give way to McBurnie and they will get a few more goals.

History has proven that teams that concede fewer are more likely to survive than teams that score more - so they might be onto a good thing in terms of survival. 

• Like 1