Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Pukki's 1st goal

Just watched back on MOTD as I wanted to check my memory.  I said at the time I thought it was an unusual position for Pukki to be in when he volleyed it in, I would've expected him to be in the middle nearer the goal.

Unusual set up for the corner, we didn't have a single player in their 6 yard box when the corner was taken and for a striker Pukki's position on the edge of the penalty area seemed strange. Either it was a training ground plan or we were not ready when the ball came over. Either way it was a brilliant goal.

Lumping crosses into the area aren't Pukki's forte, most of his chances are on the floor, when the cross comes in we had one player challenging on the six yard line with 3 of theirs. 

When the loose ball drops, who would you rather have waiting for it. Absolute venom of a shot. 

Teams will now be aware of Teemu, until  yesterday I dont imagine  many will have really considered him a threat in the premier. So, hes given them all a massive problem, how to stop him, and if they focus on that then more space will appear for Stieps, Emi,  etc etc  , its win win for us as we have a very mobile quick thinking attack minded team. 

• Like 2

To those that questioned what we spent on transfers in the summer....

I do just wonder how much we'd have to spend to acquire the EPL's (joint) top goal scorer ....

Nah - we could never have afforded it - just a dream.... 

Same could be said for most of the squad!

4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Teams will now be aware of Teemu, until  yesterday I dont imagine  many will have really considered him a threat in the premier. So, hes given them all a massive problem, how to stop him, and if they focus on that then more space will appear for Stieps, Emi,  etc etc  , its win win for us as we have a very mobile quick thinking attack minded team. 

They won't worry about Teemu as the wise words of that fount of football knowledge,Agent Lawrenson,has assured them that he won't even get 10 goals this season.............job done and happy days ahead :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

Couple of pieces (including on Sky sports) saying it was intelligent play from Pukki - knew he wasn’t going to win an aerial duel and pulled off five yards for exactly that sort of chance.

He’s not really a poacher like Earnshaw was (or like Billy Sharp for Sheff Utd last week) , and not the best in the air, so makes sense for him to find other space.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

It’s funny. No team took Leicester or Jamie Vardy seriously until it was too late. Always played way too high and he had space to run into. Be interesting to see what other teams do...particularly Chelsea as FL has the advantage of all last years preparation against a very similar team 

Newcastle fans i spoke to after the game said Pukki was a horrible player to play against. Not meaning he was a horrible person!

2 hours ago, WD40 said:

It’s funny. No team took Leicester or Jamie Vardy seriously until it was too late. Always played way too high and he had space to run into. Be interesting to see what other teams do...particularly Chelsea as FL has the advantage of all last years preparation against a very similar team 

31 minutes ago, Since 1980 said:

Newcastle fans i spoke to after the game said Pukki was a horrible player to play against. Not meaning he was a horrible person!

Agreed and in many ways Pukki is harder to play against than Vardy. Vardy, if you drop off ten yards you nullify a large part of his game (pace, getting in behind). With Pukki I don’t see how as a defensive unit you change to nullify his threat - he doesn’t only sit on the shoulder of the last man but can get in behind and is fairly pacey, he does drop deeper both to get involved and also to then run past (thinking third goal yesterday where he started deeper than Cantwell and then took it off him as he ran past), he does move out wider, he can score from distance, he chases everything and pressurises your defenders.

I don’t see how you can adjust your whole defensive style to try and nullify him. You'd have to try and man mark him out of the game, which then frees up space for others.

Funny how players like Teemu Pukki often go basically unnoticed by fans who only follow the Premier: league: my brother in law is a Man Utd fan (excusable since he’s from Cheshire) and he’d never heard of TP until he saw my son wearing his Norwich shirt with Pukki 22 on it while we were on holiday last month.

Edited by Sparta Plastic
Typo

3 hours ago, Since 1980 said:

His movement off the ball is fantastic and defenders just have such a hard time picking him up  He'll get chances against anyone with his movement, especially with the creativity of Buendia, Leitner and Cantwell behind him.

As for the corner, it looked to me like Buendia was trying an Alexander-Arnold by taking it while the defenders weren't ready. Unfortunately, no Norwich player was either.

3 hours ago, Since 1980 said:

The group of Newcastle fans I overheard afterwards and spoke to were offensively critical of their team saying they were destined for the championship, and when I suggested it was only two games into the season, they suggested we were Fu(&!ng $h14 as well!

I duly wished them a fond farewell and good luck for season. That or Fu(& Off , cant quite recall now.

• Haha 1

Watch his play v Leeds as there are a couple of good examples

Pukki feeds off 'loose' balls, as well as being 'set up', also constantly moving 3.50m

One thing he has is he's no mug and will usually push the defender where needed 2.45m, 4.18m

Couple that with an ability, as had Holt, the ability to hit the target

My suggestion to the 'formation fannies' and 'statto saddos' is to watch Pukki in this short clip, watch his movement and the way he makes space for himself by constant moving to anticipate where the ball will be and by 'pushing' defenders ensure that he can make that quick move

you might also note that at every goal players are not in that formation that they are supposed to be in

Fun fact folks - Teemu Pukki has scored as many goals in the Premier League in just 2 games as Christian Benteke has scored for Crystal Palace in 2 SEASONS.

Now if that’s not value for money then I don’t know what is!

• Haha 2

Teemu is showing as not only a very decent striker but also his tracking-back for defensive duties can’t be overstated - shows the way for others to follow.  

I was saying before the game that we are certainly not an overly tall side up front (compared to many defences) so may have to rely more on passing through; that first goal was interesting as it was a really quick corner, but worked out better than most of our ‘planned’ ones.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Seems old habits die hard in football, who says that you need to be tall to be a striker? Of course the opposition will always field tall defenders, but if your strength is pace on the floor, tall defenders will always be in trouble. 

Look at some of Messi's goals where he runs into the box and leaves 3,4 sometimes 5 International quality players on their @rse.

Pukki's a nightmare for defenders, he drifts wide, pulling players out of position, then darts into the space behind, our widemen play him in on the floor  and bang!

Simple to say, bl00dy difficult to stop....

20 hours ago, Aggy said:

Agreed and in many ways Pukki is harder to play against than Vardy. Vardy, if you drop off ten yards you nullify a large part of his game (pace, getting in behind). With Pukki I don’t see how as a defensive unit you change to nullify his threat - he doesn’t only sit on the shoulder of the last man but can get in behind and is fairly pacey, he does drop deeper both to get involved and also to then run past (thinking third goal yesterday where he started deeper than Cantwell and then took it off him as he ran past), he does move out wider, he can score from distance, he chases everything and pressurises your defenders.

I don’t see how you can adjust your whole defensive style to try and nullify him. You'd have to try and man mark him out of the game, which then frees up space for others.

He only scored once from outside the box last season - he is very much a 18 yard box player. He also only scored one with his head and joked afterwards that he only gets one a season. 

The way to stop Pukki, and it sounds obvious, is to keep him away from your goal. Although he is relatively quick but not so fast that teams can't play a high line against him (unlike Vardy). 

I wonder if we will see the more sensible managers realising that the best defence against Norwich is a high line - teams that sat back against them last season usually suffered in the end. Without Hernandez's pace Norwich might struggle more against a high line at the moment as well - the Chelsea game will be interesting as Lampard twigged that a high line was a good tactic against Norwich last season when he pushed his defence up really high in the Carrow Road game after Norwich scored the second goal. Swansea also played a very high line which Norwich struggled against. 

I'm not going to get too carried away by Pukki's goals yet - Newcastle probably put on the most inept Premier League performance I have ever seen and played into Norwich's hands perfectly. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I'm not going to get too carried away by Pukki's goals yet - Newcastle probably put on the most inept Premier League performance I have ever seen and played into Norwich's hands perfectly. 

I agree. It's not worth getting carried away by the win yet, just as it wasn't worth getting too downbeat about the loss.

Newcastle were absolutely dire. We were excellent, but they were really terrible.

45 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I wonder if we will see the more sensible managers realising that the best defence against Norwich is a high line - teams that sat back against them last season usually suffered in the end. Without Hernandez's pace Norwich might struggle more against a high line at the moment as well - the Chelsea game will be interesting as Lampard twigged that a high line was a good tactic against Norwich last season when he pushed his defence up really high in the Carrow Road game after Norwich scored the second goal. Swansea also played a very high line which Norwich struggled against. 

We're short of real pace without Onel for sure,  but Jamal is a greyhound too and he's looking ready made for the Premier League. 

Looking at Chelsea against Leicester on YouTube it's clear that they aren't a shadow of the Team of a few years ago, I'm not saying that we can beat them, right now I'd bite your hand off for a draw.

The transfer embargo has meant that last year's Championship loans are getting first Team opportunities something that would not have happened otherwise, a real chance to get at them.

57 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

While I understand not getting carried away, I think it is clear to see that key aspects of his game have translated well to the Premier League. Even against Liverpool his movement was giving the defenders all sorts of trouble.