Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
hogesar

Ever felt so comfortable?

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, Evertonian said:

You seem suited to the prem. two attacking fullbacks. Good midfielders. Not sure what your squad is like depth wise but you look the part already 

Kind words Evertoniano, and true too. Our style is suited, we play as a confident attacking team that will upset many teams up to about your level, then the attributes that cost serious money will beat our squad as the top teams play like us but have bigger stronger faster players that also possess greater technic ability. That's not to diss our squad, it's just where I think we're at, we have progressed massively in all areas of the Club in the last couple of years and I expect we'll progress further in the next few seasons, even if relegated, our Club/squad will improve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes ER - My concern is that we always 'big' players up - especially when they are out of action and another holds the shirt in difficult circumstances - a baptism of fire. I recall last year it was Cantwell in for Emi etc. who got the stick. Hanley didn't have the perfect start against L'Pool but we have no evidence (just a hope) the Zimmo can step up to the EPL and also if I recall Klose gave away a howler in pre-season to Atalanta. Neither may have actually done any better - could even have been worse! So until such time as DF thinks he has better it's Hanley's shrt to lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zimmermann and Klose were both better than Hanley in the Championship so it's quite likely they still will be in the Premier League too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Zimmermann and Klose were both better than Hanley in the Championship so it's quite likely they still will be in the Premier League too.

Will you ever stop , with all this common sense. :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Zimmermann and Klose were both better than Hanley in the Championship so it's quite likely they still will be in the Premier League too.

Yep. And that’s no disrespect to Hanley but he was 4th choice last season and when Zimmerman, who was immense last season is back it’s likely to be him and Godfreys to lose

Edited by JF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way Hanley will lose the shirt is if he gets injured or suspended or we take a couple of losses on the run.  If we keep presenting well, he is likely to stay in the team - and he will improve the more games he gets. It's all good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The only way Hanley will lose the shirt is if he gets injured or suspended or we take a couple of losses on the run.  If we keep presenting well, he is likely to stay in the team - and he will improve the more games he gets. It's all good.

Will you ever stop, with all this nonsense.😁😁 Hanley is a stop gap. Nothing more. Its not the same as other positions, where we have players of similar abilities. Zimbo or Timbo will replace him asap.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The only way Hanley will lose the shirt is if he gets injured or suspended or we take a couple of losses on the run.  If we keep presenting well, he is likely to stay in the team - and he will improve the more games he gets. It's all good.

I’ve no interest in this turning into a Hanley bashing thread but he will need to improve to keep the shirt once Zimmerman is fit. He’s actually played well for the two games we’ve had but the fact is he’s been directly responsible for conceding a goal in each game. If he can cut out the errors then yes it’s his to lose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looked to me that Hanley injured himself trying to close out Shelvey before he scored - he was certainly limping thereafter - and didn't look very comfortable when someone passed the ball back to him. I think it was his knee, so maybe Shelvey got lucky and Hanley was faultless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

It looked to me that Hanley injured himself trying to close out Shelvey before he scored - he was certainly limping thereafter - and didn't look very comfortable when someone passed the ball back to him. I think it was his knee, so maybe Shelvey got lucky and Hanley was faultless.

I saw that too but he's the current incumbent of Scapegoat Corner so don't go giving him Get Out Of Jail Free cards.:classic_biggrin:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

I saw that too but he's the current incumbent of Scapegoat Corner so don't go giving him Get Out Of Jail Free cards.:classic_biggrin:

Ffs. Facts are not scapegoating are they? Evidently Paddy Davitt must be scapegoating him in his match ratings.

Grant Hanley

 

Solid response after Liverpool outing, up until he allowed Jonjo Shelvey to chop back inside to grab a stoppage time consolation.  6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't bash Hanley , he's one of our players after all and I'm sure he does his best ,I respect him for all those reasons.

But Zimbo and Timbo are simply better players, we will be better with either one in the side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I won't bash Hanley , he's one of our players after all and I'm sure he does his best ,I respect him for all those reasons.

But Zimbo and Timbo are simply better players, we will be better with either one in the side. 

Spot on. Unfortunately there are some on here that simply won’t entertain a discussion without ridiculous comments about scapegoating! As I said he’s had two solid games but an error in each has resulted in goals conceded

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JF said:

Ffs. Facts are not scapegoating are they? Evidently Paddy Davitt must be scapegoating him in his match ratings.

Grant Hanley

 

Solid response after Liverpool outing, up until he allowed Jonjo Shelvey to chop back inside to grab a stoppage time consolation.  6

Paddy's report isn't necessarily factual - it's his view of the performance. Did Hanley allow Shelvey to grab the equaliser or did he injure himself as THB and I are suggesting?

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JF said:

Spot on. Unfortunately there are some on here that simply won’t entertain a discussion without ridiculous comments about scapegoating! As I said he’s had two solid games but an error in each has resulted in goals conceded

He's also not the best ball player, my anxiety levels increase whenever he's under any form of pressure, far more so than compared to any other of our defenders. TImbo is an astute attack starter and Zimbo is steadiness itself on the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You would hope that one thing we have learned in winning the league was how to secure the points. Game management as they say. That coupled with our ability to find late goals when needed bodes well.

Perhaps a team that sneaks in last minute via the play-offs hasnt learned that

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:
3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The only way Hanley will lose the shirt is if he gets injured or suspended or we take a couple of losses on the run.  If we keep presenting well, he is likely to stay in the team - and he will improve the more games he gets. It's all good.

Will you ever stop, with all this nonsense.😁😁 Hanley is a stop gap. Nothing more. Its not the same as other positions, where we have players of similar abilities. Zimbo or Timbo will replace him asap.

It certainly is not nonsense. Take a look at what happened last season and see the players that came into the team - and stayed.  If we carry on doing well, Hanley will stay in the team - that is how Farke works.  If Zimbo and Klose are available again, they will have to wait.  

If we go on a bad run, then I would expect changes to happen, but Klose could not get back in last season because those in the team did well and we were winning matches I would expect the exact same policy this season. 

Farke is always saying he trusts all his players, maybe we should do the same?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It certainly is not nonsense. Take a look at what happened last season and see the players that came into the team - and stayed.  If we carry on doing well, Hanley will stay in the team - that is how Farke works.  If Zimbo and Klose are available again, they will have to wait.  

If we go on a bad run, then I would expect changes to happen, but Klose could not get back in last season because those in the team did well and we were winning matches I would expect the exact same policy this season. 

Farke is always saying he trusts all his players, maybe we should do the same?

Thanks LDC. This was simply the point I'm was trying to make. It's actually easy to find fault with any player if you so wish. Cantwell turned into trouble and lost the ball which almost led to an early Newcastle goal ; Emi hasn't been quite at the races yet and so on. We all hope Klose and Zimmo will be back soon and fully available but they'll have to win the starting spot back! Nothing is a given nor should it be.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It certainly is not nonsense. Take a look at what happened last season and see the players that came into the team - and stayed.  If we carry on doing well, Hanley will stay in the team - that is how Farke works.  If Zimbo and Klose are available again, they will have to wait.  

If we go on a bad run, then I would expect changes to happen, but Klose could not get back in last season because those in the team did well and we were winning matches I would expect the exact same policy this season. 

Farke is always saying he trusts all his players, maybe we should do the same?

You can repeat yourself as much as you want, you won't change my mind as to what I think should happen. Yes Farke is loyal to players but I suspect he's itching to replace GH. I'm also pretty sure that loyalty to the team supercedes any loyalty to one player in particular. It is logical therefore that he will do whatever is best for the Team. TImbo didn't get back in because Zimbo and BG were doing well( and, although in the squad was not 100% fit). As I explained earlier, TImbo and Zimbo are superior players to GH, the difference between them is much more than say Mario or Moritz, Argos and Todd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of us are in Farke's head. Don't know what will happen when TK and CZ are back fit, but past behaviour suggests he will stick with Hanley until something goes wrong. Guarantee that if TK or CZ were fit last week, Hanley would have been ditched, like McLean was (don't buy the injury, he was on the bench). But he acquitted himself well and I do think Farke will see how he does against Chelsea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is it possible to scapegoat a fourth choice centre-half who put in a decent performance overall.

Even Davitt's six isn't exactly a disaster.

Scapegoating for scapegoatings sake, imo.

We're hardly expected to replace the injured Zimmermann and Klose with an expensive world class replacement after all ... who is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

How is it possible to scapegoat a fourth choice centre-half who put in a decent performance overall.

Even Davitt's six isn't exactly a disaster.

Scapegoating for scapegoatings sake, imo.

We're hardly expected to replace the injured Zimmermann and Klose with an expensive world class replacement after all ... who is?

Really!!?? No one is using him as a ‘scapegoat’ If having an opinion that the two injured centre backs are better players and saying that although Hanley has had two solid games his mistakes have led to two goals is ‘scapegoating’ then I give up. This is supposed to be a football discussion board. I sometimes wonder why anyone bothers with it as any legitimate discussion gets this nonsense 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt comfortable once we went 2 up but the fantastic win should not mask the fact we still let them have 2 fantastic chances to score before we got our first, without them really having to work particularly hard for those chances. Ok sometimes teams will just open you up at this level but both were just straight forward crosses to the far post and on another day a prem team will score one of those and that changes the game. Hanley's defending for their goal was also horrific, particularly the bit where he turned his back and so was not able to cut out a pass he would have intercepted easily had he been paying attention. 

I thought we were great on Saturday but we still need to improve defensively or we will get punished by the better teams. Right now I don't feel we can defend well enough to get results against the top 6 sides (and the game against Man City terrifies me but that's a write off anyway frankly) but I guess we will see on Saturday if we can continue to improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't referring to you actually, just responding to the general criticism Hanley has been getting recently. Neither was I the first to use that term in response to some of this criticism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, BroadstairsR said:

I wasn't referring to you actually, just responding to the general criticism Hanley has been getting recently. Neither was I the first to use that term in response to some of this criticism.

Fair enough. It’s just how it comes through in the context of the thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JF said:

Really!!?? No one is using him as a ‘scapegoat’ If having an opinion that the two injured centre backs are better players and saying that although Hanley has had two solid games his mistakes have led to two goals is ‘scapegoating’ then I give up. This is supposed to be a football discussion board. I sometimes wonder why anyone bothers with it as any legitimate discussion gets this nonsense 

His main error wasn;t getting turned for the goal it was turning his back when the through ball was played through. Watch it again, he would have been able to easily cut it out had he been looking at the ball but he was running away from the play with his back completely turned. After that he couldn't recover as he had a man running at him in the box. Turning your back like that really is elementary schoolboy stuff so I can only put it down to fatigue (with him still getting used to playing regularly again) and a lapse in concentration with us being 3-0 up and the team having dropped their intensity levels a little bit. 

It was also him marking Joelinton for the free header he had in the first half which could have turned out differently. So yes, I would agree that whilst he generally played a lot better, he has made mistakes in each game and generally looks the weak link in that back 4. That's not scapegoating. I hope he improves, cuts out the mistakes and keeps his place on merit because that will mean we are doing well. If he continues to look shaky though I think Zimm or Klose come in as soon as one is fit. 

To be fair though Lewis (who has been excellent) also didn't get out to close down the shot for the other chance they had.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still don't see DF dropping Hanley, it's not his way, you never know, he might improve with more gametime. 

Yes, he wasn't great at Anfield, but we weren't going to win that one and he was at fault for Shelvey's consolation, again, the goal didn't change the result. 

FWIW, I think that we have better options when fit, until then, I'm backing him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JF said:

Fair enough. It’s just how it comes through in the context of the thread

It's  Broado, it's what he does, reacts first, thinks later. No one so far that I can see has bashed GH in this thread, we were merely discussing, like adults, the likelihood of GH being replaced once one of our better CBs are fit. As for Lakeyo saying " the only way he'll be replaced etc etc "is drivel,sure Farke likes to keep a settled team but as he felt Mo leitner was a better fit last Saturday, he replaced the Mayor. Chelsea match will require some decent defending to keep them out so it makes sense( outside of Cumbria) to play your best defenders, if fit. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

I still don't see DF dropping Hanley, it's not his way, you never know, he might improve with more gametime. 

Yes, he wasn't great at Anfield, but we weren't going to win that one and he was at fault for Shelvey's consolation, again, the goal didn't change the result. 

FWIW, I think that we have better options when fit, until then, I'm backing him. 

^^^this , I prefer Zimbo and Klose too , but as long as he's on the pitch I will be "supporting" him ! Hope they're both fit soon , DF won't just sling them back into a winning side though.

Yet, will we sign some cover at CB though...in January? I'm not sure...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ROBFLECK said:

Yet, will we sign some cover at CB though...in January? I'm not sure...

I doubt it if TK and CZ are fit and firing. If not, maybe, depending on who is available and at what cost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×