hogesar

Ever felt so comfortable?

In the prem, that is.

Once we got our first goal, it really felt like we werent going to let it slip. It's not like other wins we've had in the prem where after getting ahead you felt completely under pressure holding out for the win.

It's not even the 3 goals and the result. It was our dominance for most of the 90 minutes against a premier league squad.

So chuffed for our lads, in particular the young ones.

• Like 2

Agree. Play like that every week and then is no way we will be relegated. We were a little slow out the blocks first 10 mins second half but otherwise dominated the game. 3 - 1 flattered Newcastle .

Leitner is tailor made for the Premiership too.

Yes we played very well but Newcastle were awful. On that performance they are nailed on for relegation. 

Apparently they spent £40m on their centre forward. I saw several forwards in the Championship last season who gave us more problems than him. 

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Yes we played very well but Newcastle were awful. On that performance they are nailed on for relegation. 

Apparently they spent £40m on their centre forward. I saw several forwards in the Championship last season who gave us more problems than him. 

He was a petulant disgrace today and could still be playing tonight without getting any change out of Godfrey.

For me, this game was the true start of the season. Important to get some kind of result to indicate whether we can compete and get results against the bottom half teams which is where our season will be decided. The fact that we dominated and got 3 points has definitely calmed a few nerves in this house! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He could still be playing tonight even after Godfrey is home and showered without finding the net.

Don't forget he was 'injured', which seemed to flare up after he was made to look average for about the twentieth time this afternoon.

• Like 1

Wasn’t it Joelinton that fouled Aarons? Disgraceful tackle that could’ve been so much worse for Max. Hopefully there’s been no issue since the match, looked a nasty one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Wasn’t it Joelinton that fouled Aarons? Disgraceful tackle that could’ve been so much worse for Max. Hopefully there’s been no issue since the match, looked a nasty one.

It certainly did. I wouldn't say it was a dirty match but they were targeting a couple of our more influential players, that's for sure.

15 minutes ago, yellowandgreen said:

I thought we were absolutely superb today. Newcastle were totally out played. This could possibly be the best team we have ever had. OTBC

A brilliant team but you may / may not have been around in 92/93.    We played brilliant football then and finished 3rd.... Inter Milan even said we were one of the best teams to visit them in Europe and we beat Bayern.   Love this team but still some way to go to match the 92/93 side..... but you never know..its a funny old game.   OTBC.

I was around to see 92/3 and this team is more exciting and capable of that team but its early days need to be that good for an entire season but on today's performance more complete than before. 

This feels different to our previous endeavours into this league, We look the part and our play is simply far superior to that of Lamberts, Hughtons and Neil’s teams. This team is an absolute pleasure to watch, long may it hopefully continue 

• Like 1

This is the team that thumped Leeds 4-0 at Elland Road in August 93

Gunn

Culverhouse

Newman

Polston

Butterworth

Bowen

Fox

Crook

Goss

Sutton

Robins

A tidy side it has to be said!

• Like 2

Newcastle  thought they'd  get their  season underway  at CR. They weren't prepared for facing such a slick side that plays like a top ten  team. Bit of a shock for  them I should imagine. I've said it many times since he settled here Mo Leitner is a real player, oozes class. When he plays, we look more accomplished

Ps despite having g a booming strong, athletic side Watford look lost, disorganised and if they sont sort themselves out, are in for a very difficult season. My tip for the drop.

I wouldn't say I feel comfortable yet. I have admired the first two games and all things being equal we can compete. But football isn't equal and I think we have to temper the great feeling we have at the moment with the fact it is a long season and just this worry that I have that we don't become too reliant on Teemu scoring. We must wrap him in cotton wool and lock him away until match day. 

I don't want to sound a killjoy because I am in seventh heaven this weekend but reality says, enjoy these moments, hope for many more and don't be disappointed with the odd setback.

Watched a few of the Newcastle vlogs on YouTube, alot of ill informed dross about them losing to 'a mid table Championship Team ' about us spending 5 million compared to their 40 mill. Someone commented about Pukki, 'someone they'd never heard of' I know they're hurting, Ashley is doing a good job destroying their Club and if they don't get organized soon they could be cut adrift. 

One thing from yesterday,  if Idah had not been injured,  the Newcastle  game, 3 nil up at home, would have been an ideal time to give him 15  mins, at home for his senior competitive  debut.  Even though I watched it, I'm not sure  did Pukki  play the whole  game?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

just this worry that I have that we don't become too reliant on Teemu scoring. We must wrap him in cotton wool and lock him away until match day. 

Agreed. I said on another thread that his first two yesterday weren’t really “clear” chances, they were just great finishes. He can take a half chance and get a goal. Having a player like that is absolutely crucial in the prem where against most of the teams in the division we aren’t going to have loads of easy chances.

There are a lot of really really good players in this squad (some who are probably better technically than Pukki), but he is probably the only one who opposition defences (even top sides) will really fear - especially in the form he is in at the moment; how do you stop him?

55 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Agreed. I said on another thread that his first two yesterday weren’t really “clear” chances, they were just great finishes. He can take a half chance and get a goal. Having a player like that is absolutely crucial in the prem where against most of the teams in the division we aren’t going to have loads of easy chances.

There are a lot of really really good players in this squad (some who are probably better technically than Pukki), but he is probably the only one who opposition defences (even top sides) will really fear - especially in the form he is in at the moment; how do you stop him?

Pukki gets plenty of plaudits for his incredible movement and football intelligence and rightly so, but every time I see him I am really surprised by his pace with and without the ball, especially when he accelerates beyond defenders with those explosive bursts.

Dare I say it but watching yesterday I was thinking he's got similar characteristics to a young Michael Owen (and he did all right in the prem!)

• Like 1

Pukki gets plenty of plaudits for his incredible movement and football intelligence and rightly so, but every time I see him I am really surprised by his pace with and without the ball, especially when he accelerates beyond defenders with those explosive bursts.

Dare I say it but watching yesterday I was thinking he's got similar characteristics to a young Michael Owen (and he did all right in the prem!)

I think a lot is his work ethic. He has a dual role in the team. Main striker and first defender when they have the ball at their end of the pitch. He seems to do it uncomplainingly and without fear of injury. Other players can ignore him at their peril. Its just hard to fathom out why he wasn't a big star before.

The coaching and playing style is just perfect for his attributes and has brought out the very best in him.

Pukki and Farke's Norwich have clicked beyond comprehension and he is experienced enough to know this isn't always the case. It's special, he knows it, and he's seizing the moment and then some.

Long may this magical relationship continue (and remain fresh in his memory when other clubs start sniffing around!)

You seem suited to the prem. two attacking fullbacks. Good midfielders. Not sure what your squad is like depth wise but you look the part already 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I saw a lot of the 92/93 team and many seasons either side. This team has 3 or at a push possibly 4 better players but we are playing in a far far better league. Who knows where we will end up, but both the first games are good indications of our worth.

That said, yesterday did not surprise me at all, despite the usual self important pre match cr4p from Newcastle fans (there will be plenty of other teams supporters to do the same and end up with egg on their faces) they were fortunate to get away from CR with it only 3-1.

Leitner was definitely destined for this league and he and Tom Trybull together, were superb for this match.

16 minutes ago, Evertonian said:

You seem suited to the prem. two attacking fullbacks. Good midfielders. Not sure what your squad is like depth wise but you look the part already 

If we can get them off the treatment table then it’s ok! A lot has been made about us looking weak at centre back but it’s never mentioned that Hanley is 4th choice

1 minute ago, JF said:

If we can get them off the treatment table then it’s ok! A lot has been made about us looking weak at centre back but it’s never mentioned that Hanley is 4th choice

Not trying to be awkward but presently Hanley is our first or second choice until the others are fit and can prove to Farke they are better. It's deservedly Hanley's shirt until they can do so and whoever plays gets my 100% support come what may including dodgy own goals !

8 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Not trying to be awkward but presently Hanley is our first or second choice until the others are fit and can prove to Farke they are better. It's deservedly Hanley's shirt until they can do so and whoever plays gets my 100% support come what may including dodgy own goals !

Thought he played well yesterday and was pleased for him. I could see him keeping that shirt for a while. He does not get bullied and puts himself about on the pitch.

15 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Unfortunately he was also poor for Newcastle’s goal yesterday allowing their man to cut inside and slot home instead of showing him to the line. With a fully fit defence to choose from he isn’t likely to stay in there above Zimmerman 

4 minutes ago, JF said:

Unfortunately he was also poor for Newcastle’s goal yesterday allowing their man to cut inside and slot home instead of showing him to the line. With a fully fit defence to choose from he isn’t likely to stay in there above Zimmerman 

I think if Hanley gets a couple more games under his belt hed tidy up some of the sloppiness. Hes probably just as good a pure defender as either Zimmerman or Klose.

Unfortunately for him he just isnt comfortable on the ball or playing it short under pressure and I imagine that will be what ultimately costs him his place. 

Despite all that, delighted to see him put Liverpool behind him.

• Like 2