Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Newcastle

I had a count up this morning and unless my maths is wrong this will be my 66th season at CR and 26th in the top flight. This time last year I never dreamed that this would be happening and was fully expectant of a long period of mediocrity stretching into the far distance. The day dawned bright and warm and for a change instead of the bikes, we had a lift down to the ground from my grandaughter Rosie.

Carrow Road looked wonderful in the sunlight and with a crowd that looked well up for the challenge it was hard not to be carried along by a feeling of optimism. City began nicely on the front foot and were soon displaying the short pass and move game that we have come to know and love. Leitner was at the heart of all the early attacks with some incisive play and combined  to good effect with Todd Cantwell, to put the frighteners on what quickly looked like a nervy Magpies back line. Indeed Cantwell, almost despatched Pukki's quick pass after the City Talisman found space in the area only to be denied by a combination of defender and goalkeeper.

As we came up to the ten minute mark it was Stiepermann, who found Pukki  in enough space to turn and flash a low shot a yard wide of Dubravka's right hand post. City were definitely bossing proceedings but had a reminder to be careful when Lewis didn't get enough on a clearing header only for Krafth to lash an angled shot well over the bar. A minute later it really should have been City ahead when Pukki found space to right of goal. Stiepermann and Lietner were waiting for the pull back but Pukki backed himself from a narrow angle (and who can blame him) only for Dubravka, to save at the expense of a corner. Soon after it was Pukki again who latched onto Cantwell's pass only to shoot straight at the keeper.

Apart from a speculative twenty yarder that Krul fielded comfortably there hadn't been much coming back from the visitors until suddenly Joelinton found space to flash a header alarmingly close to Krul's right hand upright. The saying that you have to take your chances in this league was quickly proved true as City roared back downfield and Pukki was in the right place to volley Buendia's cross into the roof of the net from 12 yards. Never was a goal more richly deserved for some of City's football in this half verged on truly scintilating.

The goal brought the visitors forward a bit more but Krul in the City goal looked confident with a take and and a block when danger threatened. Then a bit more neat possession football saw City see out the half with more than a margin of comfort.  I had been my usual pessimistic self over the summer, with expectations of a relegation struggle, but if this level can be maintained throughout the season we might well confound the pundits predictions. Even the halftime entertainment was a cut above last years fare😀

Newcastle upped their game as the second period began and City had to stay solid at the back. I thought Godfrey and Hanley were forming a decent understanding and even though there was a bit of pressure there were few real alarms until Krul had to palm away a dangerous cross shot. A second goal was obviously needed to settle the nerves and it duly came just after the hour as Cantwell brilliantly allowed the ball to come across his body a leave a defender flat footed. A pass inside to Pukki allowed the City striker time to check and strike a low shot past Dubravka's right hand and raise the Carrow Road decibels to the rafters.

Leitner now came into his own, winning balls in midfield and accurately finding a team mate with pass after pass. The visitors looked a beaten side and a few minutes later Pukki's hat trick goal confirmed it. With Cantwell and Pukki versus one defender it was no contest and Pukki did the honours with another firm low shot, this time past Dibravka's left hand.

Mario, Tetty and Byram came on for the last knockings and all that was needed now was the clean sheet. Unfortunately it wasn't to be as with under a minute of added time left, Shelvey, the pick of the visitors players, found space to be onside and flash a consolation across Tim Krul and into the roof of the net.

All in all a hugely satistfying win, not only for the goals but for the manner of play that brought them about. I wasn't confident before kick off but on this sort of display I reckon we will be more than o.k.

Pukki has to be MOM for that hat trick but in open play nobody was better than Leitner. To be honest it would be churlish to fault anyone.👍🍺

And I got a lift home as well😀🚘

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

We really were superb, Leitner was total class, brilliant link up play, always available, not a weakness in the side. And I had a fiver on

3-1,  mixed emotions when Shelby scored!

Always enjoy the reports, thank you. 

I was having a beer during half time though so missed the improved half time entertainment, what was it??

Thank you as ever Ricardo. Enjoyed reading.

Some folk saying it was as good as 92/93? Would you agree? (That would have been in your 49th season if my maths are correct!)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Thank you as ever Ricardo. Enjoyed reading.

Some folk saying it was as good as 92/93? Would you agree? (That would have been in your 49th season if my maths are correct!)

I honestly believe that this is the best football I have seen at Carrow Road over my entire supporting life. We have fielded some good teams and played some good stuff over the years but some of that quick one touch stuff today was a joy to behold. I only wish I had another 66 seasons in front of me😀

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I am from the same generation as Ricardo and I would entirely agree with him that today we saw some of the best quality and fluent football ever produced by a Norwich side. Particularly impressed with the youngsters - Cantwell, Aaarons, Lewis and Godfrey. Great to see Pukki has already hit top form. A clinical lethal striker.

• Like 2

Thanks from sunny Peru, enjoying the holiday here but I’ll be glad to be home and watching City again before too long.

i felt it was promising last week at Liverpool especially the way players looked a lot more confident in the 2nd half.

how did this compare to our dominant performances last season eg QPR?

Leitner - just WOW, WOW, WOW

Buendia and Stiepermann were the weak links, and they still had excellent games!

£40M striker? You've been mugged Newcastle

• Like 1

1 minute ago, It's Character Forming said:

Thanks from sunny Peru, enjoying the holiday here but I’ll be glad to be home and watching City again before too long.

i felt it was promising last week at Liverpool especially the way players looked a lot more confident in the 2nd half.

how did this compare to our dominant performances last season eg QPR?

It was at a whole other level. Some of the passing was simply sublime

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

I honestly believe that this is the best football I have seen at Carrow Road over my entire supporting life. We have fielded some good teams and played some good stuff over the years but some of that quick one touch stuff today was a joy to behold. I only wish I had another 66 seasons in front of me😀

I would repeat this word for word (except I'd need to replace 66 with 46)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vazzza said:

Always enjoy the reports, thank you. 

I was having a beer during half time though so missed the improved half time entertainment, what was it??

There was a mini game between two guys in Zorb suits. Ball placed in between the two for them to run to to kick off.  Lots of comedic crashing into each other and falling over followed (with some poor finishing from one player) which made for a surprisingly entertaining few minutes. A definite improvement on that target dross from last season.

3 hours ago, vos said:

I am from the same generation as Ricardo and I would entirely agree with him that today we saw some of the best quality and fluent football ever produced by a Norwich side. Particularly impressed with the youngsters - Cantwell, Aaarons, Lewis and Godfrey. Great to see Pukki has already hit top form. A clinical lethal striker.

I said the same to Duncan today. But of course I only have a foo years compared to you couple of old codgers 🙃

Have to agree about Mo, he ran the game for me, outstanding performance, looks at home in the PL.

Now then Ricardo, there was a guy in the snakepit with Ricardo on the back of his shirt, he looked a lot younger than i imagined you to be?😀

Edited by Van wink

Did you see the other words

“‘rites rite roit”  under the “Ricardo” 

7 hours ago, Van wink said:

Have to agree about Mo, he ran the game for me, outstanding performance, looks at home in the PL.

Now then Ricardo, there was a guy in the snakepit with Ricardo on the back of his shirt, he looked a lot younger than i imagined you to be?😀

Not me mate, I'm at the River End.😁

Very eloquent as ever Ricardo. I did put on the match thread that this is the most skillful team I have ever seen playing for us. Maybe the best but we have to wait a bit I think.

Good shout that we have spent over half our time in the top flight since first making there. That is something that ought to impress some of those ready to talk about us disparagingly.

What is wrong with the bike? Its getting near the time of year when it goes in hibernation. You won't have many matches left this season to don the clips.

34 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Very eloquent as ever Ricardo. I did put on the match thread that this is the most skillful team I have ever seen playing for us. Maybe the best but we have to wait a bit I think.

Good shout that we have spent over half our time in the top flight since first making there. That is something that ought to impress some of those ready to talk about us disparagingly.

What is wrong with the bike? Its getting near the time of year when it goes in hibernation. You won't have many matches left this season to don the clips.

No KG, my son has had a serious illness so it may be while before we get the bikes out again.

Thanks for the report Ricardo - excellent as ever (I read it on my tablet on Sunday but I'm not very good at writing on that!)

No KG, my son has had a serious illness so it may be while before we get the bikes out again.

Sorry to hear that Ricardo. Best wishes I know from all of us to your son and your family.

• Like 5