5 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

As I have already posted. Farke saw the Cantwell light long ago. He will not be dropped. Leitner, Trybull and Cantwell ran the midfield today. Stieps too, much maligned but so crucial to the way we play.

Have to disagree on Stiepermann. He plays behind the striker all day long for me, but he has yet to get up to full speed, but hey, it's only the second game of the season. When he starts firing on all cylindars people will take notice. Him and Pukki are almost like the big-man little-man combo. I was worried based on pre-season that Pukki might take some time to find his rhythm, so thrilled so far with his goals

5 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

Enormous credit to Farke for having the belief and confidence to play him and the other young stars coming through. Many managers wouldn't have the nous. Outstanding today and a joy to see 

Definitely this. Farke was obviously appointed as the man to make the academy work for the first team, after first hoping that would be Adams, and then Neil was appointed on the back of him acheiving with the kids at Hamilton. 3rd time lucky.

That Farke (and the board) have had faith in this model is really exciting. We've kept the faith, and never more so by not bringing in a load of big money signings.

4 academy products in the team today by my count, and who knows, this may also be Idah's breakthrough season

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

He was good last season until he had to come in for Buendia and everyone decided he wasnt Buendia so wasnt good enough. 

Not everyone!   But too many on here did show a lack of understanding.   The lads played all his life through the middle, then gets asked to play wide in some games when we weren't quite at it and he'd hardly played for a few months.... 

• Like 1

Todd's been brilliant over these two games. He was always the type of player to thrive in the PL. He's stronger than when he first came in to the side last season. Has obviously worked really hard.

Through his ability, hard work and a brave manager we could well have that £10m player everyone would have been happy with us buying if Todd had been sent out on loan. 🙃

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Lurking, waiting for that one mistake to single him out with an already-drafted thread ready to post.

Fact is he can't score and doesn't track back.... can I have the prize now? 

p.s. I've been a big Todd fan, and have posted on that subject before. Yes he's coming along nicely, and it would have been great if he'd put that pass from Pukki into the net early on. I'm sure that goalscoring touch will come and then watch out everyone... 

Superb. I thought he was likely to be a bit part player this season but clearly not! 

I also thought that he would have benefited from a season on loan in the Championship. With Onel's injury, he's certainly going to get a chance and so far he's grabbed it with both hands. 👍

Statistically, the hardest working player in the team, firstly at Anfield and undoubtedly yesterday, when he must have been close to or above his personal best in terms of distance covered. To me, that statistic is most important because it shows his hunger and desire. 

I keep thinking this team has peaked then we find another level, with Todd becoming increasingly integral.

It looks worrying to see our weaker aerial players in starting positions against stronger players on defensive set pieces on the edge of the box but even that seems to have been thoroughly worked out. 

If I was a Chelsea scout, I would struggle to identify 2 or 3 weaknesses in yesterday's performance. So possibly they will work more on negating our strengths. First and foremost they will have to work as hard as us. Not easy, and not necessarily natural to them. 

I’m not worried about a lack of height in our forwards as we play it on the ground anyway, and we are often too quick for the opposition players. In defence it’s a bit more of a problem which is why I think Amadou will come in for Trybull eventually (and Klose / Zimmermann for Hanley for pace and reaction time reasons)

Our quick passing is creating opportunities that a target man plus a poacher would have traditionally created, but our approach means we don’t just give the ball back half the time it is punted forwards. 

Can we beat Chelsea, yes. West Ham, yes. Man City, no - they play our game better than we do, it would be a major upset if we literally beat them at their own game. 

But, “he who dares, wins” so we’ll try!

OTBC. 

In some ways he reminded me yesterday of one one of my all time favourites the one and only Phil (Charlie) Boyer.

I'm probably well wide of the mark as I'm a million miles away from being a football pundit but some of his interplay with Pukki was reminiscent of the McDougall/Boyer partnership at it's best.

Cantwell's general movement bore similarities as well.

I've been critical of Todd, and raised questions over his ability to perform above championship level. 

There has been little doubt that Todd is technically a decent player, and one that is pleasing on the eye. But often that can overshadow the not so good bits. I've often watched Todd seemingly play well, but the team underperform and not pick up a result. This has led me to believe despite his pleasing style, he doesn't affect the match positively enough. As a polar opposite example look at Steipermann and Hernazdez. Two players who can frustrate and look a million miles away from PL players at times, but nearly always impact our performance positively and cause problems for the opposition. 

Yesterday could well be a watershed moment for Todd. He played very well, and without doubt was a major influence in the positive result. Well done Todd! More of the same please...

1 hour ago, splendidrush said:

I also thought that he would have benefited from a season on loan in the Championship. With Onel's injury, he's certainly going to get a chance and so far he's grabbed it with both hands. 👍

Ditto.

With the strength of our midfield I did think he would be down the pecking order, so rather than him spending his time mostly on the bench, I thought a loan would have been better for his career. Luckily we have a coach in Farke who will give these kids a fair go and the maturity in Todd to take it. Well done Todd.

"He's one of our own".🎶

I've said numerous times that I thought this would be a season too early for him and he should be going out on loan.

Absolutely delighted to be proven wrong - he was very good against Liverpool and yesterday was his best display in a City shirt - he was absolutely brilliant.

Really pleased that he's stepped up to the plate in a big way - think something psychologically about being given Wessi's number has really clicked with him - given what Wes did for this club, it was quite a big show of faith and support from the club to pass that particular torch over to one of our kids stepping up to the big stage. He spoke about how much it meant to him to have that number, and it seems to have had the desired impact.

He looks streets ahead of where he was last year in his development. 

The next challenge for him is to keep this up consistently but he really is coming along at a phenomenal pace - full credit to him, he's obviously working hard off the pitch and reaping the rewards on it.

Edited by kick it off

Todd was a real stand out in the academy I always thought. I remember Eddie used to single out his performances a lot back then. And when he came on against Chelsea a couple of years back, my Chelsea friends singled him out and said ‘you’ve got a player there’. They were very impressed. He has matured well, is 100% Premier League class, and his vision, touch and crisp passing is very impressive. His potential is massive, can’t wait to see the ‘finished article’ Todd Cantwell.

Todd’s developing like Godfrey, Lewis and Aarons under Farke is astounding really. He’s benefiting from some very good players around him too.

I still say we’ll see Idah come through later end of the season too.

Hi everyone hope you don’t mind me posting. Impressed again with you yesterday. I’ve been raving about cantwell on the Everton sites since the Liverpool game. I heard him singled out on talksport today which is probably a bad thing. Is he a local lad? Looks a real prospect and I’m looking forward to watching him this season. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Evertonian said:

Hi everyone hope you don’t mind me posting. Impressed again with you yesterday. I’ve been raving about cantwell on the Everton sites since the Liverpool game. I heard him singled out on talksport today which is probably a bad thing. Is he a local lad? Looks a real prospect and I’m looking forward to watching him this season. 

Yup, Born 15 minutes drive away from the city. Been at the club since he was 5 I believe.

He's actually been our surprise of the season, always been a talented player but has really bulked up this summer.

Edited by KeiranShikari

56 minutes ago, Evertonian said:

Feel free to post, supporters of other teams are always welcome on here unless they come just to cause trouble, which clearly you’ve not, so welcome! One of the best things about returning to the Premier League is that we’ve not had to endure any visits from delusional Leeds fans, it’s August so they’re currently busy right now celebrating winning the Championship. How do you see Everton’s season going? And yes, 99% of us are really proud to see Todd come through the ranks, personally I think he’s going to become some player in time - to be fair, he’s not too shoddy now!

1 hour ago, Evertonian said:

Hi Evertonian. Yes, Todd is a local lad - comes from Dereham which is a town 15 miles from Norwich. He's been with us since he was 9. 

Things are looking up for us all over really. We are all excited about our new ground on the waterfront and we have an owner that is backing us. The media like to point out how much we have spent this summer but forget that we’ve sold almost the same amount so I think our net spend is about £10 million. I think on our day we have the beating of anybody bar city and I’m hoping for a top six push and a day out at Wembley this season. We have some good young players and I’m particularly excited about Moise Kean I think he could be a real star once he gets adjusted. Silva after a difficult start is making us really hard to score against we just have to be more clinical. Just shows you the benefit of sticking with a manager as you have shown more than anyone. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Evertonian said:

Things are looking up for us all over really. We are all excited about our new ground on the waterfront and we have an owner that is backing us. The media like to point out how much we have spent this summer but forget that we’ve sold almost the same amount so I think our net spend is about £10 million. I think on our day we have the beating of anybody bar city and I’m hoping for a top six push and a day out at Wembley this season. We have some good young players and I’m particularly excited about Moise Kean I think he could be a real star once he gets adjusted. Silva after a difficult start is making us really hard to score against we just have to be more clinical. Just shows you the benefit of sticking with a manager as you have shown more than anyone. 

Always  liked  Everton, and was surprised that koeman  was let go so quickly .  Silva is a good coach and as you stated, the club was smart to retain him. Moise kean is a very exciting  player ,his short time on the pitch the other day was an indication of what  he can bring.  You are  much better  team to watch than during the Moyes era, but can easily match his level of success under Silva. Best of luck this season. 

Just now, wcorkcanary said:

Always  liked  Everton, and was surprised that koeman  was let go so quickly .  Silva is a good coach and as you stated, the club was smart to retain him. Moise kean is a very exciting  player ,his short time on the pitch the other day was an indication of what  he can bring.  You are  much better  team to watch than during the Moyes era, but can easily match his level of success under Silva. Best of luck this season. 

Koeman seemed to fall out with players and then lose his mind in the transfer market.

Adding Klassen, Rooney and Sigurdsson who all play in the number 10 position while not replacing Lukaku was an absolute headscratcher.