Take a bow Todd. Wow.

Ill admit I didn’t see him being a PL player and thought his lack of pace would restrict him but he looks stronger, cleverer and just reads the game so so well.

Onel will be missed but it’s now definitely Todd’s position to lose.

What a mature performance on the biggest stage.

Edited by Fiery Zac
  • Like 19

I thought another full season under his belt in the championship would be great for his development. I was also not sure he was ready for the premier league.

Delighted to be proven wrong - absolutely outstanding today and gave a very solid performance last week too. 

• Like 1

I thought he was outstanding. His speed of thought is special. He sees the game two seconds ahead. 

Todd made two of Pukki's goals and he clearly doesn't get phased by the EPL. 

I've always been desperate for him to succeed as a local lad, and I've always felt the criticism he has received was harsh.

But did I expect him to play much this season, never mind be a standout performer? Not in a million years. I thought a season in the Championship would've been best for his development.

How delighted I am that he is proving me and the majority of the fanbase wrong.

• Like 3

I'll admit I never expected him to step up like this until he played so well in the last pre season games. 

As I have already posted. Farke saw the Cantwell light long ago. He will not be dropped. Leitner, Trybull and Cantwell ran the midfield today. Stieps too, much maligned but so crucial to the way we play.

He was unbelievably good today, as has been mentioned, he bagged two assists. 

I still think he would be even better as a number ten but Onel's absence might put that one on ice. 

Completely agree that he's been excellent but I noticed today a few times where he'd take on a opposition player and try to double back or cut inside and get dispossessed. Thankfully Newcastle didn't ever profit from those moments.

• Confused 1

It's great we have quality players like Todd, playing under the PL radar.  He is a joy to watch

Enormous credit to Farke for having the belief and confidence to play him and the other young stars coming through. Many managers wouldn't have the nous. Outstanding today and a joy to see 

• Like 2

Fantastic and delighted for him. I did say at the time our fans were being a bit harsh wanting to send him out on loan this season. Its another thing Farkes got right, becoming a long list!

Cantwell would appear to have taken full advantage of training daily with players that ooze quality.

He has started the season brilliantly, and Onel’s absence should give him a good run in the team.

His confidence must be sky high.

So are we finally all agreed that the Todd bashing was/is unjustified, and instead we should be enjoying watching the progress of another fantastic youngster.

as for the accusation of “lack of pace” really? He’s not exactly slow either! 

I was very much on the 'season on loan' train but he's stepped up hugely. Expected it from Letiner but not from Todd.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

He was never bad last season, as some on here like to claim, but he was never this good. 

In his games from last season he was so raw.

You could seem him out of position and unsure of where to be on the pitch even when the rest of the team was flowing fluidly.

He had a lot of good contributions in his games but it was clear to see he wasn't quite on the same wavelength as the rest of the team.

Looking back it's obvious that it was down to a lack of experience because he's come into this season so determined, confident and ready to show people what he can do. Last season he was the main one of his academy peers who wasn't fully able to showcase their skills.

He was the name of the academy boys that was tagged on at the end as an extra bonus but now he wants to prove why he deserves his spot of that team.

Instead of resigning himself to be the man left out he's grown up and wants to make this season his.

I am blown away by how much he's improved.

He's magnificent.

Edited by Renskay
  • Like 1

He was good last season until he had to come in for Buendia and everyone decided he wasnt Buendia so wasnt good enough. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daz Sparks said:

The lad did good.

Where are his detractors now I wonder?

Lurking, waiting for that one mistake to single him out with an already-drafted thread ready to post.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daz Sparks said:

The lad did good.

Where are his detractors now I wonder?

Well I will admit I wasn’t convinced after his league cup performance last year, he looked too light weight and unsure of what he was supposed to be doing, he improved a bit at the end of last season. I watched him in the pre season games and he seemed a different player, but to take that on to the last two EPL games is unbelievable. So well done Todd and long may it continue.

although I never publicly criticised him, I try not to do that to our team, players, staff, management or owners, even when I think they’re in the wrong.

• Like 1

Very impressed with Todd's start to the season, and really hoping some quarters will get off his back now. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's a local lad with bags of potential. What's not to love?

He's fulfilling his end of the bargain, time for us to just collectively get behind him and hopefully watch him continue to flourish. 

Edited by Flying Dutchman

Delighted for him, i agree with the comment that he seems to be able to see ahead of real time and hence has the balance, poise and ability for the pass. Certainly deserves the praise for the pre season, last week and this.

Throughout the season we will have players who step up at different times, last season Vrancic after Jan and at the end of the season, Buendia end of the season. Although Pukki all season.

Keep it up and let's continue to grow and get ready for Chelsea

Yes he impressed me today. Before he had looked like a boy with potential, but not ready to start games. Physically he has noticeably filled out in a short amount of time (dont know if that's natural maturity or work in the gym) and didnt seem slow or lightweight. Looked much stronger, and his lack of pace wasnt telling. Played with conviction and confidence. Didnt really rate him as being anything other than potential at this point and felt he needed a season loan in the Championship before stepping up to the team, but he was excellent today.

I was surprised by comments by the general football community on the video of the Liverpool game on Youtube highlighting Cantwell, I hadnt noticed his performance particularly in that game.

Certainly deserves praise for his performance today. Perhaps its wearing Number 14!

The glimpses we saw in pre season have continued to flourish, 2 premier League assists today, not a bad shift at all!