I'll use the same system as I used last week- some feel it is a harsh system, but I'm sticking with it because I'm consistent. Last week I didn't go easy on the players just because it was a tough game, and this week I'm going to bear in mind that Newcastle were dreadful and any half decent side would've walloped them.

Krul 7.0: Did everything he needed to do with a minimum amount of fuss. Some good saves, and good with his feet, always making the right decision whether to play short or go long. Nothing he could really do about the goal.

Aarons 7.0: Never really in much trouble. Solid in defence, and good going forward.

Hanley 6.5: Proved his critics wrong today. Looked very assured and in control for the most part, although he did let Joelinton go for the free header in the first half and the goal was scored from his area. 

Godfrey 7.5: Didn't really do anything wrong, but was never really put under pressure. Good with the ball and read the game well, mopping up when needed.

Lewis 7.5: Excellent performance. Never troubled whatsoever in defence, ran himself into the ground and was always an option in attack.

Trybull 7.5: Broke up play very well and was good with the ball. Never seemed to be out of position. The holding role is certainly his place to lose despite the threat of Amadou.

Leitner 7.5: Controlled the midfield with his passing. Always available, moved the ball quickly and accurately and looked good linking up with the attacking players. I think he's sewn up his position as the deep-lying playmaker.

Buendia 6.5: Not quite his day in a creative sense, but showed good touches and control.

Stiepermann 6.5: Linked play nicely, but aside from the through ball for the third goal he didn't really threaten.

Cantwell 7.0: Started the match very brightly, and provided two assists, if you use the term loosely. He's in good form and very deserving of his place in a Premier League team.

Pukki 9.0: His movement off the ball led to him having six or seven half chances and he converted those into three goals, one of which was an absolute belter. Any top striker would be happy with that conversion rate.

Subs: N/A.

Newcastle: Woeful.

• Like 3

Would agree with most of that wacky, although I thought Cantwell was equally as good as Leitner and Trybull today. An excellent performance from Todd who continues to impress. I assume that it's his form that is keeping Vrancic out of a starting place.

• Like 1

Maybe this is one occasion where a player gets a '10'. 

Pukki power.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Leitner, Trybull and Cantwell all 9s for me. 

Pukki a 10.

Agree. Todd is showing he is a very special player and deserves to wear the no. 14 shirt. (I will get his name on my shirt this week. )

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Leitner, Trybull and Cantwell all 9s for me. 

Of course they were all very good, but where do you go when they start adding goals and crucial through balls which lead to goals? 11?

As good as they were, there's still potential in them to have better games. 7.0s and 7.5s show they had very good games with room to improve even further.

19 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

If today was a 9 by Cantwell/Leitner, and they scored a goal as well, then 10 wouldn't be enough.

It would. 

Would largely agree Wacky although possibly a bit harsh - if you didn’t increase our player’s ratings to take into account that they were playing against much better opposition in Liverpool, then it seems slightly harsh to limit our player’s ratings because Newcastle were poor.

That said, the only rating I would definitely argue against is Pukki. Presumably you only gave him a 9 so you can increase it when he gets 4 next week?!

Good performances all round - Leitner was particularly good, he seems to find that extra time and rarely misplaced a pass. Emi was a little quiet but came into it.

I’d love to see the passing stats as we wound rings round them most of the match. 

25 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Would largely agree Wacky although possibly a bit harsh - if you didn’t increase our player’s ratings to take into account that they were playing against much better opposition in Liverpool, then it seems slightly harsh to limit our player’s ratings because Newcastle were poor.

That said, the only rating I would definitely argue against is Pukki. Presumably you only gave him a 9 so you can increase it when he gets 4 next week?!

I mentioned last week that I'm using the Italian system and it's impossible to get a 10. La Gazzetta has only ever given a player 10 three times for a regular season Serie A match, and none of those were strictly performance-related.

10 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Good performances all round - Leitner was particularly good, he seems to find that extra time and rarely misplaced a pass. Emi was a little quiet but came into it.

I’d love to see the passing stats as we wound rings round them most of the match. 

I saw them at half time and they were pretty dominant... Something like 70% possession and 89% accuracy.

• Like 1

Pukki didn't just score those goals. He was chasing back, harrying, winning the ball back. He was immense. I'd give hima 10.

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I mentioned last week that I'm using the Italian system and it's impossible to get a 10. La Gazzetta has only ever given a player 10 three times for a regular season Serie A match, and none of those were strictly performance-related.

I'm using the Croatian Milkman system and there were at least three 10s out there today.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Joking aside, if you give tens for anyone other than Pukki then you'll need 15s for some games later in the season.

I'm happy to do that too if we top today's performance!

In the light of his superb hat trick you have to give Pukki MOM. But I thought Lewis was excellent and despite his defending duties he made many confident pacy runs and was always looking to take on the opposing full back and invariably beat him. For me his best performance in a Canary shirt. 

Why were Newcastle so bad?    Any possibility it was due to the quality of our play and the pressure they ended up being under.    Takes two to tango.   I'd give our players full credit for how bad Newcastle were. 

Always dubious of these players ratings. It's the team / squad as whole that wins or loses. All for one and one for all. That's the ethos we have as opposed to other 'teams' with prima-donna players that dont play as a team.

All that said thought Pukki has proved he can score in the EPL and Trybull, Leiitner gripped midfield. All the questions from the Liverpool game answered...for every player in the positive. A really excellent team performance! Bring on Chelsea!

1 minute ago, Evertonian said:

Following you this season. Great win. Your gonna surprise people. How did cantwell play? He’s my superstar this year 

2 assists today, looks like he's been watching Messi videos on YouTube. 

Good to see Lewis getting some plaudits. Due to 'world class centre half in waiting' Godfrey, '£40 million' Aarons and 'Football Heaven' Buendia, it's easy to forget we have a 21-year-old academy graduate who also starts for his national side.

• Like 1

I think the marks are fair, there were times when we let runners through our midfield to our defence and certainly a little bit more command and composure at times as we defend.

You can see how teams can pass round and through our midfield, however not every team will be able to do that and also some teams we may dominate possession it is just being clinical.

But we are young and also many have come from lower leagues, so still a remarkable achievement.

I always like constructive criticism and feel the group will be building and learning every game. New focus on the weeks planning for each fixture and challenge we are up against. 

So many positives yesterday, unbelievable team performance against a poor Newcastle. But we thoroughly deserved our win and high praise for all. Time to plan for the lunchtime kick off and again build our performances up, keep this going. Learn from next week, whatever the result we have some lower to mid table teams to come where we need to be ready for them.

It is great getting Chelsea, man city and Liverpool early. You don't know how they are going to be at the start of the season and it is clear we have already taken big pieces of confidence from our first 2 games so let's keep it going