Sign in to follow this  
Since 1980

Not all Germans are successful - Huddersfield Town

6 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Take away Webber and this what happens!

I can see Hughton walking in there.

Ha! Beat me to that! Whatever his limitations he would be a solid choice for them. He took over Brighton in similar circumstances in the Championship and did well.

• Like 1

What is the point of sacking your manager after three games? I never understand this. Either get rid before the summer, or give him at least ten or fifteen games.

• Like 2

From the HYS comments it seems ‘Chris Houghton’ is a popular choice for the next manager, I guess they must be Norwich fans posting that 😃

Hughton, the new Warnock. Excellent choice to get you out of the championship. Get rid once you're up. 

Ah the old "think Huddersfield" posts seem to have dried up. The bubble burst when Wagner left. Let's hope ours continues to inflate for some time to come.  Enjoy what we have because nothing is forever in football.

A number of clubs, including us, had the success of promotion to the Prem but the coach, with the funds available and the talent at hand, is unable to turn them into a steady Prem team.

After relegation, the hopes are high for a quick return but some of your better players want out and you end up all over the place and unable to reproduce the spirit and form you had before. Sunderland are an even better example than Huddersfield.

It seems odd to sack him so soon. He came in January so they had enough time to look at his style and how he worked with the players last season. If they weren't happy they should have sacked him at the end of last season and then his replacement would have had a full preseason and a transfer window to make their own changes. If the club were satisfied with how he was working despite the poor results they should have stuck with him for the rest of the season and had the confidence that the results would follow.

Huddersfield fans criticising the style of play, tippy tappy , sideways and backwards and little end product, maybe if they’d stuck with him for next season they’d have been champions.

No linkage between midfield and the front three locked to be the problem last night - Fulham were doing all the passing, Huddersfield just looked devoid of any ideas or confidence. They were not getting much out of Pritchard either. 

8 hours ago, Aggy said:

What is the point of sacking your manager after three games? I never understand this. Either get rid before the summer, or give him at least ten or fifteen games.

Generally I agree with this, but they've lost three home games, of which one was against a lower league team in the cup, their only goals before last night were two penalties, and last night they looked very poor and only had one shot on target. 

It's almost a case of making the change before they're involved in a relegation battle.

They looked quite woeful and toothless last night. Nor was I impressed in their first match. They looked like a team who were going to struggle. Reckon the board could see that and decided they had to act.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Generally I agree with this, but they've lost three home games, of which one was against a lower league team in the cup, their only goals before last night were two penalties, and last night they looked very poor and only had one shot on target. 

It's almost a case of making the change before they're involved in a relegation battle.

Surely though the board had discussions with the manager, watched enough of the games last season etc., to decide whether they could see him turning it around? 

Surely based on how they played last season, it was clear they weren’t going to just come down and thrash everyone 5-0. It was clear they would need a period of rebuilding and it would be a tricky first season.

Were they expecting that transformation to happen in the space of three weeks? If they had doubts about the manager bein the right man for rebuilding then they should have got rid before pre-season. If they though he was the right man three weeks ago then for me you have to give him ten or fifteen games to try and show things we’re heading the right way.

Edited by Aggy

48 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Surely though the board had discussions with the manager, watched enough of the games last season etc., to decide whether they could see him turning it around? 

Surely based on how they played last season, it was clear they weren’t going to just come down and thrash everyone 5-0. It was clear they would need a period of rebuilding and it would be a tricky first season.

Were they expecting that transformation to happen in the space of three weeks? If they had doubts about the manager bein the right man for rebuilding then they should have got rid before pre-season. If they though he was the right man three weeks ago then for me you have to give him ten or fifteen games to try and show things we’re heading the right way.

My guess is that they weren't convinced. They were dreadful last season even after his appointment, and maybe the board were already doubting him in pre-season. These four games have been quite disastrous really, and just tipped him over the edge.

I don’t think the results (“on paper”) have been that disastrous. I’d say disastrous is a humiliating 7-1 home defeat (for instance!). They’ve played three league games; lost 2-1 against Derby, got a point away at QPR,  and lost 2-1 to Fulham.

That looks like three fairly close results, and I expect at least two of those sides will be in and around the playoffs. Sacking him after those results looks more like jumping at the first opportunity to get rid of him - in which case why not do it at the start of the summer and bring someone else in who you think better suits the new rebuilding job you know will be required?