Sign in to follow this  
Christoph Stiepermann

Martin interview in The Athletic

Good interview with Russ and Michael Bailey in the Athletic today. At one point they spoke about when Farke came in and tried to change the mentality and was met with resistance this quote stands out to me. Really highlights the poor culture at the club at the time, the weak mentality and why we underachieved.

“There were a few things over the course of pre-season the lads were not used to, so they were asking me to go and see Daniel – schedules and times of travelling. A lot of it was different. So as captain, it’s part of your role that if the lads want to clarify something with the manager, they send you in. I wasn’t questioning him in a bad way. I was just asking if there was a bit flexibility, just to gauge it for the lads. Then I could tell them to either get on with it, or that there was a bit of room once the season starts.  I felt straight away he didn’t really like that and I said to the lads this is a bit difficult for me, because I don’t think that’s what he wants from his captain."

There you have it. Multi millionaire professional footballers kicking up a fuss and feeling poorly treated because they had to do some double sessions that might keep them at Colney running and kicking a football around until the mid afternoon and sometimes they had to get up a bit earlier. Thank christ they're all out the door and we now have a set of players who deserve to wear the shirt. 

• Like 1

Apparently there was a bit of a divide in the dressing room as the German lads couldn’t work out what the fuss was about. Leitner and Oliveira really didn’t get on as a result

It feels like a different era now. Russ goes on to talk about the Millwall defeat being the turning point for him and if you look at the starting eleven that day only Vrancic and Husband are still with the club (and Husband doesn't really count).

Some things you can kind of speculate as to why things go wrong and obviously, mentality and culture is the first thing that meets resistance.

It is something that is difficult to get round. Does the coach come out and say publicly, the reason we are losing is because the players aren't buying into my philosophy or do they close ranks and the coach rids himself of the ostriches. With the latter, people like myself, don't know what is happening internally and blame the new coach for everything because I like the players and have my favourites.

Edited by keelansgrandad

25 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

It feels like a different era now. Russ goes on to talk about the Millwall defeat being the turning point for him and if you look at the starting eleven that day only Vrancic and Husband are still with the club (and Husband doesn't really count).

Interesting how so much goes back to the game against Millwall. As we left the ground the feeling was that we were in dire trouble. We had been undone by set pieces, and had even made Morrison look like a world beater. From Memory we immediately nipped out and bought Hanley, which was against the ethos of the type of player and type of football that the Club expounded at the time.  

This happens in real life too-a change in management, a different way of doing things, some people are going to embrace it, others aren’t.

Footballers are human, it would be crazy to expect them all to carry on without a blip. We can probably all think of similar situations in our own working lives.

Well done Webber and Farke. Club badly needed a change by the sounds of it

44 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

This happens in real life too-a change in management, a different way of doing things, some people are going to embrace it, others aren’t.

Footballers are human, it would be crazy to expect them all to carry on without a blip. We can probably all think of similar situations in our own working lives.

You spelt Married incorrectly...........

• Haha 2