Neither of them seem to rate our chances again this week with their weekly predictions, with both going for a 2-1 Newcastle win. 

Mark Lawrenson:

"Norwich have to be applauded for the fact they created chances against Liverpool in their defeat at Anfield on Friday.

The only problem is that if you look at the goals the Canaries conceded, their defending was more like League One standard. That is a major worry.

Newcastle also played one of the leading clubs, and lost at home to Arsenal.

The Magpies could maybe have done a bit more going forward but, although I think Steve Bruce is going to take a bit of time to work out what his best team is, I don't think they are going to struggle.

Bruce's side will have to deal with a lively atmosphere at Carrow Road in Norwich's first home game back in the top flight, and the Canaries will be at full throttle.

Daniel Farke's side are dangerous, but I do worry about them - they scored lots of goals in the Championship last season, but they conceded a load too.

If they are going to be as open as they were at Anfield when they play at home as well, then they are going to get some beatings."

Charlie Nicholas:

"This is an absolute belter. Norwich knew Liverpool was a free-swing. It could have been more for Liverpool. Teemu Pukki getting a goal was good for him. His movement is very good.

Newcastle were giving themselves high-fives for clearing balls last week and I didn't understand that. I cannot congratulate someone for being vulnerable defensively. Steve Bruce is not as not organised and thorough as Rafael Benitez. He doesn't play that game. He will be saying: 'have we shown much going forward?'

You always thought Arsenal were going to win the game. Bruce is quite good at manipulating teams especially away from home. Miguel Almiron looks quick and will be the star here."

Don't like either pundit. Our defending was poor though, so cant really escape criticism on that point. Hopefully Hanley comes out and put on a good display, or otherwise I doubt we'll be seeing him much in the first team this year.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Don't see much to disagree with in either of those.

Well apart from the hyperbole about our defending being League One standard. We wouldn't be in the Prem if that were the case.

Also, Lawrensen is a massive tool

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The absence of Klose from the defence is a major concern, maybe fit next week sounds like comments from last week.  The injuries will not help but Vrancic should feature at some point and Leitner will play as Kenny is out not a problem.  But cannot see Hanley seeking revenge on the Magpies being able to stem the goals.  Fear a loss here again and that will be the case until Zimm or Timm return even then struggles are expected.  Any optimism is on hold until the fitness situation improves.

To be honest without Klose and Amadou only just getting used to our side, relying on Hanley then I think 2-1 to Newcastle isn’t out of the way for pundits.

I’d be delighted to win, but we might have to score three to win!

Can see Newcastle's front line causing as problems with their movement. Hopefully we'll play some good football and get them on the back foot early.

Our defending wasn't great last season either! In some games we conceded quite a few, but it always looked as though our attacking intent would get us back in the game. Clearest example of this being against Forest at home.

In the Prem, we are certainly going to have to wise up defensively as we will struggle to outscore most teams. But Farke hasn't always found the balance between attacking and defending... if you remember his first season with us we tried to be more defensive but couldn't score many goals.

I love the way we play, though, and I prefer us to be on the front foot and attacking. But sometimes this approach will have to change and I personally can't wait for Zimbo and Klose to be fit, along with getting Amadou in the side as soon as possible.

28 minutes ago, pete said:

The absence of Klose from the defence is a major concern, maybe fit next week sounds like comments from last week.  The injuries will not help but Vrancic should feature at some point and Leitner will play as Kenny is out not a problem.  But cannot see Hanley seeking revenge on the Magpies being able to stem the goals.  Fear a loss here again and that will be the case until Zimm or Timm return even then struggles are expected.  Any optimism is on hold until the fitness situation improves.

Welcome back pete!

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Don't see much to disagree with in either of those.

Really don’t think Almiron will be the star. Happy to be quoted to come 5pm Saturday. From what I saw against Arsenal he looked lively and a willing runner but didn’t cause massive problems. Can’t pick a pass like Buendia can. I’m backing Buendia to be the star. 

In Farke's first season we conceded 60 goals, more than last season so we weren't better defensively even then. It's a recurring problem and needs to be sorted, starting with a clean sheet tomorrow.

5 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Neither of them seem to rate our chances again this week with their weekly predictions, with both going for a 2-1 Newcastle win. 

Mark Lawrenson:

"Norwich have to be applauded for the fact they created chances against Liverpool in their defeat at Anfield on Friday.

The only problem is that if you look at the goals the Canaries conceded, their defending was more like League One standard. That is a major worry.

Newcastle also played one of the leading clubs, and lost at home to Arsenal.

The Magpies could maybe have done a bit more going forward but, although I think Steve Bruce is going to take a bit of time to work out what his best team is, I don't think they are going to struggle.

Bruce's side will have to deal with a lively atmosphere at Carrow Road in Norwich's first home game back in the top flight, and the Canaries will be at full throttle.

Daniel Farke's side are dangerous, but I do worry about them - they scored lots of goals in the Championship last season, but they conceded a load too.

If they are going to be as open as they were at Anfield when they play at home as well, then they are going to get some beatings."

Charlie Nicholas:

"This is an absolute belter. Norwich knew Liverpool was a free-swing. It could have been more for Liverpool. Teemu Pukki getting a goal was good for him. His movement is very good.

Newcastle were giving themselves high-fives for clearing balls last week and I didn't understand that. I cannot congratulate someone for being vulnerable defensively. Steve Bruce is not as not organised and thorough as Rafael Benitez. He doesn't play that game. He will be saying: 'have we shown much going forward?'

You always thought Arsenal were going to win the game. Bruce is quite good at manipulating teams especially away from home. Miguel Almiron looks quick and will be the star here."

Defending like league 1. Playing champions league winners. Give us some credit you mug

Not a surprise we get underated....we are the easy targets.  If we can get a few types of results like last season - I mean the 3-2's, 4-3's, last minute equalisers/winners etc - against teams supposed to beat us, we will start to be taken a little more seriously as a team that can do things - and in a much more entertaining way than most of the bottom half of the PL.

As for the many lazy and stale pundits who are somehow still being asked their opinions, they will hopefully have to backtrack as the season moves on.

• Like 1

League One standard? Shows how little they know about football outside the Premier League. First goal was a fluke, second a lucky ricochet off of Trybull, third was Lewis and Hanley abandoning the zonal marking plan and going with men instead of defending space, two individual errors, not likely to be recurring and for the 4th we were understandably shell shocked and were playing against the European Champions. Yes Krul had to pull off some blinding saves and he's gonna have to pull a few of them off every match but so does every other keeper in this league. If they didn't every PL game would end up high scoring, its much easier to attack than defend. 

We need to tighten up on set pieces 100%, no arguments there. But in open play last year I'd argue we were very good. It was concentration issues just before and after half time that created an anomalous concession ratio. We also had a very young defence that is constantly improving who played behind a very fluid and attack minded midfield. 

Our defending is fine for the lower half of this league, our set piece defence is pretty poor, not League One standard though and it can be fixed if players follow instruction instead of instinct. If we do that and our players stay focused for the full 90 we won't concede all that many against teams outside the top 2 who can tear any team in the world apart if they feel like it. 

I'm going for a 3-1 win tomorrow, that'll hopefully shut the ignorant doubters up

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can understand their thoughts. They are logical. And that is all they are. 

We will make the running for sure so we have to reconcile attacking with defending. We will have to get used to 1-0 wins this season.

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I can understand their thoughts. They are logical. And that is all they are. 

We will make the running for sure so we have to reconcile attacking with defending. We will have to get used to 1-0 wins this season.

I think we will manage the ones.

Its the noughts that are going to be the problem.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I'm going for a 3-1 win tomorrow, that'll hopefully shut the ignorant doubters up

👏👏👏

• Like 2

I'm waiting for MotD to focus on Newcastle's shortcomings. 

I hope Shearer is summarising. 

88% pass completion and in the 2nd half we must have strung 30 in a row. 

Shame not to get a clean sheet. GH got opened up but no one went with Shelvey, we had switched off. 

But it is important not to dwell in the EPL. 

Every player improved from game 1.

Sure we will have the usual spot at the end of the programme or a very short piece with Liverpool, Man City and Arsenal taking the majority of the highlights.

On 16/08/2019 at 15:59, Indy said:

To be honest without Klose and Amadou only just getting used to our side, relying on Hanley then I think 2-1 to Newcastle isn’t out of the way for pundits.

I’d be delighted to win, but we might have to score three to win!

🙂 We did win - as it happens we didn't need to score three to win - but we thought we would anyway, just because we could. 🙂