Sign in to follow this  
birchfest

Would RVW score in the current squad?

The plight of RVW's time at Norwich has been fairly well documented, the combination of a injury hit start to the early part of his first season killed off any early momentum after scoring a great goal against Everton. The infamous Snoddy penalty incident also depriving our number 9 a chance to add to the tally. But what I think many can agree on is that our side under Hughton certainly wasn't geared up for the type of play and service that would have brought out the best in him.

After last season and the real introduction of 'Farkeball' we now see a very different style and build up in attack. Moving into the top flight some of the chances and the Pukki goal on friday night show we can probably create similar opportunities,  even against the big boys. It got me thinking; would he have hit his stride under Farke and become the player his reputation suggested? Or was he overrated and not cut out for the English game as others believe? 

• Haha 1

Pukki holds the ball up better, links up play better, is stronger, a better finisher, makes better runs and has more pace.

RvW might notch a few tap ins but nothing to talk about.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Couldn't score in a brothel.

Some Celtic fans probably thought the same about Pukki ............it's a funny old game,ain't it? 🤨

• Like 1

I don’t think even Teemu would have scored many goals in a Hughton Norwich side, so it’s an interesting question...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Pukki holds the ball up better, links up play better, is stronger, a better finisher, makes better runs and has more pace.

RvW might notch a few tap ins but nothing to talk about.

Pukki receives the ball from 20 yards away and has runners in support.....RVW got scraps from 50 yards or so and no support.    Hughton tucked him up good and proper and ruined our team.... a shambles of a coach.....(nice bloke though apparently).   Even Holt struggled with Hughton's approach.

Fact is we'll never know, but give him the benefit of doubt.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Would Pukki score in a Hughton side? I'd say no, he'd get about 5 a year if he was lucky, all would be long strikes or scruffy tap ins in a scramble. We never played through balls under Hughton or early, low driven crosses into the box which is what he feeds of so he'd have been seen as a less useless version of Van Wolfswinkel. But would RVW score in this team? I'm not sure tbh. He'd score in this team in the Championship thanks to the sheer volume of chances we created, in the PL? I doubt it, maybe 5-10 on a good year but his all round play was also significantly weaker than Pukki's as well so I think he'd do a job, just about but wouldn't be successful. Would take him as third choice if offered to be fair but compared to Pukki he's vastly inferior in every aspect of his play...except headers, but we never cross high so would be pointless

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

From the little I saw, his movement was a different level to the players we had in the Team at the time. 

Trouble was, he was clearly a confidence player and once the initial momentum was lost, he didn't have the character to recover. 

So many times players had the opportunity to pass but chose another (worse) option, in the end it all just looked a bit sad.

Given that we play Pukki in on the floor and he's got plenty of support, I think that if we had played to RVW's strengths we'd have got more out of him, a lot more. 

• Like 1

No....didnt have the physicality or strength and was bullied by emglish league defenders

Worst striker I've ever seen in norwich colours

...and I still can't believe people still peddle the Snodgrass penalty line.

How fragile must a strikers confidence be if they supposedly react that badly to a penalty SOMEBODY ELSE MISSED !!?!

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 2

Hughton's style did not suit him for sure, nor it did Hooper's who still managed to score 6 goals in the same season. Furthermore, , RvW did not exactly rip trees when on loan in Spain and France...

Edited by Budapest Canary

6 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Worst striker I've ever seen in norwich colours

Well, that's not even remotely true.

He was bad, especially given the expectations, but we're talking about a Dutch international who had a decent career before us and went on to play for some reasonable teams after. Tactically, we couldn't have set up worse for his style of play. 

Omar Koroma, he is not. 

Edited by kirku

I can't genuinely believe that anyone who watched him in our prem season for more than a handful of games thinks that, taking Hughton out of the equation, RvW looked anything like a Premier League quality striker.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I can't genuinely believe that anyone who watched him in our prem season for more than a handful of games thinks that, taking Hughton out of the equation, RvW looked anything like a Premier League quality striker.

Spot on. 

41 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Exactly this.

Far too lightweight, really only had his finishing and nothing more. Pukki has movement, timing and good link up play, none of which RVW showed in a Norwich shirt.

Failed in every decent league he’s been fortunate enough to have been played in. In England, France and Spain.

Found his level now. 

Holt played under Hughton and found a way to score. RVW played under Hughton and just looked completely out of his depth in every footballing way possible.

Edited by Fiery Zac

Confidence is what he lost. Even the best player can look average if they have lost their confidence.....lose a yard of pace, look indecisive, tame efforts on goal etc etc.......it was a brave thing for him to come to a new club/country/league and presumably he was full of confidence to come to Norwich, but he never really showed it - you could blame the manager for that, or just the situation.

Yes, he would score goals in an attacking side with plenty of width and without players who hog the ball and do not play a team game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Confidence is what he lost. Even the best player can look average if they have lost their confidence.....lose a yard of pace, look indecisive, tame efforts on goal etc etc.......it was a brave thing for him to come to a new club/country/league and presumably he was full of confidence to come to Norwich, but he never really showed it - you could blame the manager for that, or just the situation.

Yes, he would score goals in an attacking side with plenty of width and without players who hog the ball and do not play a team game.

Yes team game is spot on !

If Snodgrass behaved the way he did in our current team, he would have him out on loan within 24 hours !

• Like 1

Just now, BobLoz3 said:

I have no idea why we're even discussing RVW still...

Imagine if Snodgrass had let him take that penalty? He'd probably have overtaken Jonny Gavin and we'd be in the Champions League by now.

Who knows, Hughton may have been lauded as one of the great coaches for taking Norwich so far up the Premier League, been given the England job and won them the World Cup.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Haha 1

Scored in his first game because the cross smacked him in the head. Unfortunately it also seemed to knock out any footballing ability. Not fit to tie Pukki’s laces!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

I have no idea why we're even discussing RVW still...

Well in truth its half about him, but also half about if our style allows good players to become great players, or even at a stretch average players to become good players. Its also still a relatively recent example of (for the time) spending big in the hope of just buying quality, rather than developing or creating a system to bring out the best in a player. Id agree Pukki is the better player, we have the cold hard evidence, but at the time of his signing I doubt that many would have the opinion he would go on to be top scorer in the league. Just food for thought and perhaps a way of complimenting the current initiative shown by our scouts and coaches.

33 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Well in truth its half about him, but also half about if our style allows good players to become great players, or even at a stretch average players to become good players. Its also still a relatively recent example of (for the time) spending big in the hope of just buying quality, rather than developing or creating a system to bring out the best in a player. Id agree Pukki is the better player, we have the cold hard evidence, but at the time of his signing I doubt that many would have the opinion he would go on to be top scorer in the league. Just food for thought and perhaps a way of complimenting the current initiative shown by our scouts and coaches.

Yeah, sure, I get that. I just don't think we need to really be talking about him. But it will always go on!

I do think if he'd not have fallen out so badly with Farke that Nelson would have done well in this system, provided he could be coached out of his desire to shoot from 30 yards too much.

I also think Hooper and even Chris Martin could thrive in this style. Just don't see that with RVW though.