Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
......and Smith must score.

Standard Home and Away memberships still on sale

Recommended Posts

Yep, Eddie’s right about the purchasing of memberships to be ‘a part of the club’, it’s an important feeling to be part of it still when you’re exiled. I didn’t look into this new scheme in depth to be honest, I just thought it’s not a membership anymore per se, it’s just a (difficult) lottery for tickets and nothing more than that. Enjoyed the old system, collecting points, always got tickets for the games. And I still have my ‘customer number’ that I’ve had for many years that I used when buying the home and third shirts recently - not been kicked off the database just yet ha ha, and will always put money into supporting my club one way or another regardless of what the latest scheme is, or what division we’re in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Peanuts said:

 

Man Utd for example is £35 and you get a pack with pin badge, earbuds, snood, pen etc as well as 10% discount in the club shop. 

 

Factor in the postage and packing for all that old tat, to China, India,  Australia, (London) and the States and that's a pretty good deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Well b back said:

It says ‘ please note there are no longer any premier memberships for sale ‘ it says nothing about the garuntee of an upgrade being removed however.

If they used the word guaranteed,  then they really have to stick to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Yep, Eddie’s right about the purchasing of memberships to be ‘a part of the club’, it’s an important feeling to be part of it still when you’re exiled. I didn’t look into this new scheme in depth to be honest, I just thought it’s not a membership anymore per se, it’s just a (difficult) lottery for tickets and nothing more than that. Enjoyed the old system, collecting points, always got tickets for the games. And I still have my ‘customer number’ that I’ve had for many years that I used when buying the home and third shirts recently - not been kicked off the database just yet ha ha, and will always put money into supporting my club one way or another regardless of what the latest scheme is, or what division we’re in.

Can't disagree with the above except the 75% hike in price for standard  membership. Maybe its future  offsetting against the plummeting pound ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes but thats no reason to stop selling them as Jimbo suggests.

It seems as a club we are becoming a world brand and embracing it where it seems a lot of posters on here want to keep us small presumably so that they can complain we have no ambition.

It's the premier league which everyone wanted except they seem to want us to remain little old Norwich a local club for local people. We tried that before...

I don't think it is about keeping us small- the extra £700k they will have made from this is hardly the difference between being a big or small club.

Football clubs always have to walk a tightrope between maximising revenue and making fans feel exploited. The almost universally negative reaction (from a usually placid fan base) for me clearly indicates this has fallen off the tightrope.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Slightly off the main topic but yes i appreciate that the £30 maximum price applies to away tickets and is a ruling set by the Premier League and not Norwich City but why did the club decide to make casual home tickets £30 maximum also ?

As i understand it there are about 1500 tickets available in this category and for some games up until this season NCFC were quite happy to charge in excess of this ranging from £35-£42 ish for games like Scum and Leeds for example so a chance to maximise revenue has been lost here. Charge £40 for 19 games and that is an extra £285000 than if you charge £30.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Slightly off the main topic but yes i appreciate that the £30 maximum price applies to away tickets and is a ruling set by the Premier League and not Norwich City but why did the club decide to make casual home tickets £30 maximum also.

As i understand it there are about 1500 tickets available in this category and for some games up until this season NCFC were quite happy to charge in excess of this ranging from £35-£42 ish for games like Scum and Leeds for example so a chance to maximise revenue has been lost here. Charge £40 for 19 games and that is an extra £285000 than if you charge £30.

It looked like an attempt to be fair and stop people thinking why casual home supporters should have to pay more than away fans. It's backfired spectacularly, but you can see an element of them trying to be fair in that case.....it's just the membership malarky that doesn't cut the mustard.

 

Edited by lake district canary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It looked like an attempt to be fair and stop people thinking why casual home supporters should have to pay more than away fans. It's backfired spectacularly, but you can see an element of them trying to be fair in that case.....it's just the membership malarky that doesn't cut the mustard.

 

The £30 cap has reduced the value of your season ticket in money terms. A season ticket at £500 now means there is less than £4 a game difference .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Yep, Eddie’s right about the purchasing of memberships to be ‘a part of the club’, it’s an important feeling to be part of it still when you’re exiled.

Exactly right and it is the reason I found the new scheme so disappointing - I still cannot reconcile the idea that you have to buy two memberships to be one member.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The £30 cap has reduced the value of your season ticket in money terms. A season ticket at £500 now means there is less than £4 a game difference .

That's still more than a 10% discount to be fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, king canary said:

That's still more than a 10% discount to be fair.

A casual ticket is a financial commitment to one game but a season ticket is a commitment to 19. Whatever way you look at it that discount has been eroded at a time when revenues are trying to be maximised.

Edited by TIL 1010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The £30 cap has reduced the value of your season ticket in money terms. A season ticket at £500 now means there is less than £4 a game difference .

But you have got a guaranteed seat. Maybe STs should be handled the way of  the  priority membership. 60,000 STs at 300 quid each with a chance of a seat would raise more money for our club, and would add excitement  for  those in the lottery, that way the club would only alienate the 22000 or so ST holders but the cash would flow,  and even more on the plus side ,if successful in obtaining a seat, youd have new and interesting people either side of you each match that you attend. Erasing the chance for people to sit together regularly would ,I'm  sure make random allocation even easier making even more money. I'm amazed they haven't thought if this, maybe saving it for next season when we are in the CL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

A casual ticket is a financial commitment to one game but a season ticket is a commitment to 19. Whatever way you look at it that discount has been eroded at a time when revenues are trying to be maximised.

And in exchange for that financial commitment you get a ticket to every game at a 10% discount vs individual tickets. 

Think it is tough to criticise the club on this one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, king canary said:

And in exchange for that financial commitment you get a ticket to every game at a 10% discount vs individual tickets. 

Think it is tough to criticise the club on this one.

To get any discount at all is a bonus.You do , after all, get exactly what you pay for ...a guaranteed seat for all home league games. If it were possible to rock up at any home game and buy a ticket at the gate then I can see why discounting STs would be a good idea, but as you can't, and demand is increasing, don't be surprised if , privileges/ discounts for ST are further 'eroded'. Marginal Gains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, king canary said:

I don't think it is about keeping us small- the extra £700k they will have made from this is hardly the difference between being a big or small club.

Football clubs always have to walk a tightrope between maximising revenue and making fans feel exploited. The almost universally negative reaction (from a usually placid fan base) for me clearly indicates this has fallen off the tightrope.

I didn't mention anything about money for membership or tickets. Everything isn't about money for tickets. I was talking about the global reach of the club now we are in the global premier league. The narrow view of all this truly astounds me. 

Just to add the club needs to find revenue streams apert from local people going to games. It's a big world.

Edited by nutty nigel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I didn't mention anything about money for membership or tickets. Everything isn't about money for tickets. I was talking about the global reach of the club now we are in the global premier league. The narrow view of all this truly astounds me. 

Just to add the club needs to find revenue streams apert from local people going to games. It's a big world.

So you think we're flogging many memberships to fans in the Middle East? Seems unlikely to me...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, king canary said:

So you think we're flogging many memberships to fans in the Middle East? Seems unlikely to me...

Do you reckon we're selling any in Finland?

This from an article about the PL three years ago : -

 

The Premier League is often seen on British shores as very much ‘our’ competition but the stats beg to differ. It may be that the teams who compete in the ‘greatest league in the world’ reside in the UK but a quick glance at the concentration of clubs’ supporters across the world shows that, in fact, only two top flight teams, Bournemouth and Crystal Palace, have their largest population of fans based in the UK.

Weirdly, it is Senegal who top the charts. Maybe it has something to do with the El Hadji Diouf and Salif Diao-led wave of imports after the 2002 World Cup, maybe they can’t get enough of seeing John Stones and Nicolas Otamendi struggle with the art of defending, but the African country is home to the highest concentration of Manchester City, Southampton, Everton and Stoke supporters on the planet.

Another strange trend displays Croatia’s love for English football, with three of England’s elite having the core of their support in the country. The names of Tottenham and West Ham can be explained through the means of Luka Modric and Slaven Bilic but the Croatians hankering for Swansea City must have to be put down to an unerring love of a pristine white kit and Lee Trundle.

It may well be a case of the players bringing a club to a nation, Liverpool’s power in Uruguay and Finland surely has something to do with Messrs Suarez and Hyppia, or it may just be down to a club’s historical success, but the Premier League’s power and status around the world is phenomenal. It truly is the world’s favourite league. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Let's see how small we can stay and stop selling memberships because I've got the hump about not being offered priority for every ticket for every game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Do you reckon we're selling any in Finland?

There's also the Cuban connection. Tampa Bay area has the 3rd highest Cuban population in the US apparently so it would seem like we are well positioned to attract those supporters based on our Rowdies affiliation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Do you reckon we're selling any in Finland?

This from an article about the PL three years ago : -

 

The Premier League is often seen on British shores as very much ‘our’ competition but the stats beg to differ. It may be that the teams who compete in the ‘greatest league in the world’ reside in the UK but a quick glance at the concentration of clubs’ supporters across the world shows that, in fact, only two top flight teams, Bournemouth and Crystal Palace, have their largest population of fans based in the UK.

Weirdly, it is Senegal who top the charts. Maybe it has something to do with the El Hadji Diouf and Salif Diao-led wave of imports after the 2002 World Cup, maybe they can’t get enough of seeing John Stones and Nicolas Otamendi struggle with the art of defending, but the African country is home to the highest concentration of Manchester City, Southampton, Everton and Stoke supporters on the planet.

Another strange trend displays Croatia’s love for English football, with three of England’s elite having the core of their support in the country. The names of Tottenham and West Ham can be explained through the means of Luka Modric and Slaven Bilic but the Croatians hankering for Swansea City must have to be put down to an unerring love of a pristine white kit and Lee Trundle.

It may well be a case of the players bringing a club to a nation, Liverpool’s power in Uruguay and Finland surely has something to do with Messrs Suarez and Hyppia, or it may just be down to a club’s historical success, but the Premier League’s power and status around the world is phenomenal. It truly is the world’s favourite league. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Let's see how small we can stay and stop selling memberships because I've got the hump about not being offered priority for every ticket for every game.

That is all great but I'd bet a fair whack that Southampton fans in Senegal are spending their money on replica shirts and TV subscriptions rather than memberships. Happy to hear otherwise though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, king canary said:

That's still more than a 10% discount to be fair.

A centre block ST at £560 saves a princely 53p per match over 19 casual tickets bought at £30. True a ST ticket saves all the hassle of trying to buy one each week and this year it does cost £50 to be in with a shout for one ( the £35 memberships give you no chance ).

Another point is that the club gets an early hold of all your cash from those who pay for ST's upfront and even those who pay by DD have paid around half of that by the time the season starts.

I was told by someone at the club that these new membership schemes would have been brought in regardless had we failed to gain promotion but old cynic that I am take that with a huge pinch of salt.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's protest on Saturday regarding the club's so unfair money grabbing home and away 'membership' system.....Everyone put their replica footy shirts on back to front and pretend they're walking away from the ground.......The looks on the faces of the board.....priceless!.....'Kriss Kross!'.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its really about who should be bearing the cost/subsidising the requirement that the Club has to make away tickets available at £30 this season. They had a number of options here really:

1. The Club just accepts this as a by product of being in the premier league which is more than compensated for by the TV monies they get. On a back of a fag packet calculation it possibly means they will get around £500K less in gate receipts than they might otherwise if they could sell all those tickets for an average of £40 across the season. Given that income has gone up by over £100m that should be able to be absorbed in my view and the right thing for the club to have done would be to just take it on the chin. However, they have chosen not to do that.

2. If looking to pass the cost on to fans then they could have put season tickets up slightly. Their problem here of course was that they had sold most of those season tickets before we knew what division we would be in and at the time they went on sale they no doubt had not thought about things like this. In future though, a £20 rise in season ticket prices would pretty much cover the "subsidy" being made to the away fans. Personally I would see that as fairer than hitting our away fans in the pocket but I know others would differ. It would of course effect a far larger number of fans and therefore perhaps bring into focus why it was being done.

3. As Til has alluded to they could have kept the prices for casual home fans higher. I think there was an element of the "PR" win in the club's eyes here but again i'm not sure people would really have caused a huge fuss had home casual tickets been £40 rather than £30. i may be wrong on that though.

4. Or they could do what they have done which is basically charge/exploit the away support. in short, what they have done is take away the potential savings our fans who travel away would have benefitted from due to the premier league £30 cap. Said "we'll have some of that thanks" and used that money to cross-subsidise cheap away tickets at Carrow Road. So actually our fans are likely to be paying more this season to watch us away than fans of any other premier league club this season. 

I still remain of the view that the Club have chosen the worst of the available options and should have just taken the hit. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to notice the erosion of season ticket benefits. 

I'm wondering if people really wanted the Premier League. TV companies are more important than ST holders. It could well be fans from outside the UK will soon outnumber the Nationals let alone the locals.

This is what folk wanted. Or they said they did...

Or do we want to remain little old Norwich on a nice day out with the big boys.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, king canary said:

That is all great but I'd bet a fair whack that Southampton fans in Senegal are spending their money on replica shirts and TV subscriptions rather than memberships. Happy to hear otherwise though...

It's not even about how many are buying them it's about removing them from sale so they don't even get the choice. Building that wall....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

It's not even about how many are buying them it's about removing them from sale so they don't even get the choice. Building that wall....

Yeah, I'm sure Senegal would be swarming with pissed of folks who now support Everton because they couldn't buy a membership that they'd get zero benefit from.

It's a nonsense point and you know it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, king canary said:

Yeah, I'm sure Senegal would be swarming with pissed of folks who now support Everton because they couldn't buy a membership that they'd get zero benefit from.

It's a nonsense point and you know it. 

 

 

So what's the advantage of removing them from sale? Where's the benefit? Unless it's having one and wanting to stay exclusive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So what's the advantage of removing them from sale? Where's the benefit? Unless it's having one and wanting to stay exclusive.

 

I'm not that fussed about them still being on sale- I just don't agree with your view that wanting them to be taken down is wanting us to be a 'local club for local people.'

The much more likely (in my opinion) situation of memberships still being on sale is fans who want tickets and haven't paid attention to the reaction to the new scheme parting with £35 only to find they've basically got zero % chance of getting them, rather than fans from Senegal, Finland or Singapore purchasing one with no interest in getting tickets to feel 'part of the club.'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to be a member but just to feel part of the club and not bothered about getting tickets, I guess the standard membership at £35 is good value for that.  My gripe and I'm sorry if I keep repeating it, is the double membership at £50 each that rankles, with not much chance of getting a ticket.  I do hope that the powers that be can see this is unreasonable and clumsy and that a proper tiered membership ought to be put in place for another season so that fans only have to buy ONE membership.  How hard can it be?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×