Sign in to follow this  
Bolland

A very optimistic plea for help

I need help if anyone can recount details of an away game at Millwall in the early 1970's.

A friend wants me to recount at a birthday bash but I can recall so little other than the match ended 2-2 and Eamon Dunphy accused us of being animals after the game.

What made it memorable for my friend was that we for directions at Euston... and was told to get off at Mile End with the ground a short walk away. As I learnt to my horror was that this advise was useless as Mile End is the other side of the Thames to The Den so we ended up walking the length of the Rotherhithe Tunnel then still needing a taxi to the ground. We missed the first 20 mins by which time the score was 1-1. It was a hard ol game thus the Eamon quote but it has to be said they were no angels.

Does anyone have any addtional info that can help. Scorers maybe.  Any titbit would help.

Thanks

Bolland  

It would have to have been 1971. As the next season, the year we were champions, we lost 1-2 at the Den. And then I doubt we played them more than once for the next ten years or so.

Can't help with any news of scorers as my memory doesn't stretch that far.

Looks like it was the 23 Oct 1971

Score was 2-1 to Millwall , scorers Stringer (og ) and Barry Kitchener .....and Silvester for Norwich .

Attendence  23,102.

Thanks both for the info. Appreciated.

Am I correct in thinking we went ahead in the promotion game you refer to?

I remember returning to the Den soon after and I seem to recall Peter Silvester missing a fairly easy header right in front of me and the Wall supporters  charging our fans when we scored.

Cheers

Bolland

Definitely the 70/71 game not promotion season

The wonders of Rothmans

Millwall King, Brown,Cripps, Dorsey, Kitchener,, Burnett, Possee, Bolland, , Dunphy, Auder, Bridges  Scorers Possee & Cripps

City Keelan, Payne, Black, Govier, Anderson, Livermore, Howard, Foggo, Bennett, Silvester, Paddon 

scorers Livermore & Foggo

was at the game & was amazed by Dunphy comments, perhaps I was biased

Edited by Year of the tiger

1 hour ago, Bolland said:

I need help if anyone can recount details of an away game at Millwall in the early 1970's.

A friend wants me to recount at a birthday bash but I can recall so little other than the match ended 2-2 and Eamon Dunphy accused us of being animals after the game.

What made it memorable for my friend was that we for directions at Euston... and was told to get off at Mile End with the ground a short walk away. As I learnt to my horror was that this advise was useless as Mile End is the other side of the Thames to The Den so we ended up walking the length of the Rotherhithe Tunnel then still needing a taxi to the ground. We missed the first 20 mins by which time the score was 1-1. It was a hard ol game thus the Eamon quote but it has to be said they were no angels.

Does anyone have any addtional info that can help. Scorers maybe.  Any titbit would help.

Thanks

Bolland  

Here ya be, my boi

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millwall-v-Norwich-Pink-Un-January-23-1971-/133069054497?nma=true&si=da04DY9ue%2BK2wrkQXZX8V%2FQepEA%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

if you copy the pic and enlarge it you can read most of the report. failing that contact the buyer and see if he still has that copy, he should be able to help as bound to be a City fan and it was bought only a coupe of months back

as an aside here's City a few weeks later

otherwise Cold Blow Lane was not a welcoming place, the only ground where I saw the ref in a suit of amour, the urinals had a sign that said

"Oi you, taking a **** or what ?" and the police dogs went about in threes - a place where the conversation among locals never rose beyond

I wasn't at the game but my trusty ' Canary Citizens ' reference book says :

Team : Keelan, Payne, Black ( C ), Howard, Govier, Anderson, Livermore, Silvester, Bennett,( sub Briggs ), Paddon, Foggo.

HT : 1-1   FT : 2-2

Scorers : Foggo, Livermore

Attendance : 9842

Unusually Alan Black was captain as Forbes was injured having missed the previous week's match at Swindon. Forbes was captain for every other game that season bar those two.

I'm sure there must be someone on here who was there and can explain why Eamonn Dunphy called us 'animals' but most games at the Old Den were pretty tasty affairs so it was probably par for the course.

Rumours were he & a journalist friend did to get noticed. I remember reading his comments & being unable to recollect many fouls etc in the game, especially as it was one of the few games, Big Dunc & Dave Stringer were not in the side. We had a converted winger Terry Anderson at centre back for heavens sake. As I said I think it was more publicity but it got him on the back pages

27 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I wasn't at the game but my trusty ' Canary Citizens ' reference book says :

Team : Keelan, Payne, Black ( C ), Howard, Govier, Anderson, Livermore, Silvester, Bennett,( sub Briggs ), Paddon, Foggo.

HT : 1-1   FT : 2-2

Scorers : Foggo, Livermore

Attendance : 9842

Unusually Alan Black was captain as Forbes was injured having missed the previous week's match at Swindon. Forbes was captain for every other game that season bar those two.

I'm sure there must be someone on here who was there and can explain why Eamonn Dunphy called us 'animals' but most games at the Old Den were pretty tasty affairs so it was probably par for the course.

the pinkun report has it as foggo, who was booked for arguing with the ref about a pen having to be retaken

I remember the 2-2 game at home to them when we went up. I think Gordon Bolland was playing for them. Dunphy definitely was and he is in no position to call anyone an animal. Having said that, his book, Only A Game?, is a brilliant read.