Sign in to follow this  
Steve Mortlock

Radio Norfolk Commentary and Canary call

On boxing Day I listened to the Sheff Utd game from work on the radio.  First and foremost, superb performance.  At one nil down it could have all gone a bit Luton and QPR, but we seem to be finding the confidence to come back, from being a goal down.  Nice to see Ashton comin good after his lean spell as well. 

After such a remarkable comeback, I kind of expected the mood of callers to be high and for them to talk about a remarkable performance.  However, the same question was asked by about 4 or 5 callers "Should we keep Ashton".  Us Norwich fans have had to endure poor performances ( Luton, QPR, Wolves) and 3 points away at the 2nd position club should be celebrated, and positivly commented upon. 

Neil Adams is not a director or manager of Norwich City Football Club, neither is he the official spokesman of Norwich City.  If Norwich continue their impressive run this evening and saturday, can we just praise the performance, managerial decisions, tactical decisions rather than grill Neil about our upcoming transfer dealings.  Neil must have the patience of a saint. 

eg: 1st call, should we keep Dean Ashton?,   2nd call Well done Mcveigh good goal,  3rd call, What''s going on with Dean Ashton then?

If someone has already asked your question, hang up and think of another one, rather than having 10 different people ask the same bloody question.   Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Lesson for Chris Goreham, the new Roy Waller. 

Mr Safri is not called Joseph Safari  it is YOUSEFF SAFRI   YOU - SEFF SAFRI.  And please do not leap out of your chair when we get a corner.  Generally good commentating but you are a bit like a jack in a box. 

Roy Waller, made me laugh so much after Southampton game, when he spoke of the Saints keeper.  In his post match report "If it wasn''t for Auntie Naomi, Southampton could have lost by more.  & how city had scored past the impressive Auntie Naomi.  

Anybody else got any Wallerism''s they find funny, or any Chris Goreham traits they find funny.   

During tonight''s match Roy Waller on hearing that Barmby had scored for Hull said that he had been a good buy for Hull and he had always thought that Barmby had potential! 23 caps for England and transfers of almost £20m, good call Roy, definitely one to watch.

the best Wallerism ever, at Molineux in the playoff season in the League

"heres Drury, he''s got Kenton in space theres 3 men round him"

and the classic

"its a low cross, and up go the heads!"

jas :)

A non football related Wallerism, heard by me on Christmas morning, somebody had lost a STAR, FORD Bull Terrier according to Uncle Roy. To give him his due he did correct himself within seconds of making the blunder. He then blotted his copybook again shortly afterwards by saying that the news reader would be reading the news in a few moments at 9 o'' clock ( good try, Roy - but the time was in fact fast approaching 10 o''clock). I don''t know if he corrected his mistake on the second error as I changed stations immediately after. Fair do''s to Roy though, he strikes me as a pleasant enough chap who''s doing his best and I doubt if I could do any better myself.

Anyone hear Gudgin''s or Goreham''s last night (whoever was in the studio)? Just before we heard Roy do the interviews, he says "so the match ended Burnley 2, Norwich 1....a great result for the Canaries which leaves them in 12th place" He could at least get the teams the right way round!!

Most annoyed we didn''t get to find out exactly was in Greeno''s Thermos either, because whatever is was, I could have done with some....it was f-f-freezing.

Steve,i must say that i tend to agree with your views regarding canary call and radio norfolk commentary, but hold on,if we took too much notice of our (closer to the canaries} local station, none of us would have attended the Burnley game last night,due to 2 cm of snow,and the order to not make you journey unless absolutely necessary,and then only armed with shovel, flask, sat nav, and reindeer!!!!!

Could not agree more - rushed back to the car to make the treacherous journey back to Sheringham, looking forward to lots of chat about McVeigh''s skill, The Doc''s domination of Akinbiyi, Cavity''s goal etc, and all we got was "Is Dean Ashton going?", "How much will we get?" for hour upon hour. It was sooo boring I switched over to listen to Everton getting stuffed by Liverpool which was only marginally more interesting.

To the producers of the programme I say - STOP PUTTING CALLERS THROUGH WHO WANT TO TALK ABOUT ASHTON BEING SOLD - IT IS DULL AND NON-PRODUCTIVE. I also would like Adams to stop being so bloody pessimistic about Dean and put the ball squarely in Ashton''s court - he was happy to sign only 12 months ago and was more than happy to extend his contract (presumably for more moolah) so HE SHOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO COMMIT TO THE CLUB THAT HAS PROVIDED A GENEROUS CONTRACT AND STOOD BY HIM WHILST HE KEPT MISSING SITTERS AND DID''NT SCORE FOR 10 GAMES!!!!

There - I feel so much better.